Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's not get too euphoric about parity until we see if the new features are ready for prime time. Local autosteering, for example, has been technically available for the last several,releases, but not practical to use. And (though not an AP1 feature) Summon is nothing like the "pick me up at my front door" magic that was promoted.

That said, early reports are encouraging.

Local autosteer is reborn. It's your new friend on local highways. I'm very pleased with this update. I posted more detail in 17.17.4 threads but this one is a big improvement. Like 17.11.3 was a big leap forward but more refined.

One thing I noticed was the speed limits for autosteer on local highways was +5 but IL 41 where it's divided freeway with exit ramps finally allows AS to highway limits. 60mph would be ok in far right but 75mph means I can use it how AP1 worked on my demo.

That looks good. Although I would never use AP1 or 2 or even 3 on a road with opposing traffic and no median.
I use Autopilot 99% of the time I drive in both my AP1 and AP2 cars. I always have my fingers on the wheel ready to take over but most of the time they do great. Now that AP2 has this update, it is doing almost as well as AP1.

I actually had a problem with AP2 yesterday driving a route iv been taking every day for the past week (carpool lane 405 southbound). The car misread the freeway and starting to go left almost hitting the center divider. Thankfully I pay attention and keep my hands near the wheel to takeover if necessary. Maybe this new update fixes a few things

A crash on AP1 happened in a similar situation. Poorly erased lane lines are going to be a tough problem to fix.
let's look at this video of a tesla crashing while on autopilot

I've mentioned this idea before, but at some point, AP2 will have to stop trying to just be a better AP1, and instead understand the concept of "plan a route without crashing" as opposed to "plan a route between two white lines". The vision model needs to understand things like barriers and ditches, etc, and prioritize staying far away from that versus desperately trying to imagine lane lines and stick with them.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
I've mentioned this idea before, but at some point, AP2 will have to stop trying to just be a better AP1, and instead understand the concept of "plan a route without crashing" as opposed to "plan a route between two white lines". The vision model needs to understand things like barriers and ditches, etc, and prioritize staying far away from that versus desperately trying to imagine lane lines and stick with them.
I touched on this before, if AP was programmed to allow lane changes to avoid obstacles, then it may be able to avoid this, even with incorrect lane detection.
let's look at this video of a tesla crashing while on autopilot

Ideally however, it recognizes the lane lines as incorrect by taking into account the barrier, as a human would typically do.

Reactions: chillaban
Looks like AP2 took the black gap / pavement fix mark as lane marking and followed it as it merged into the wall. That is going to be a tough one to iron out.

Maybe BigTony has the distinction of having the first "short video" automatically uploaded by the car for Tesla to look at per the recent release notes. ;)

Automated fleet learning. Let us know when the car stops doing that in that exact location.

RT

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Drove from NJ to Boston and back with 17.17.4. There was a heavy rainstorm, lines barely visible from mist and splashing, but it kept a lock on the lines. Incredible line detection. At another point, in a construction zone, there was a jumble of poorly erased old lines and new lines, but it was not confused. Promising for FSD.
One problematic area is cars merging into your lane in front of you; too much lag time in detection.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and OBX John
Drove from NJ to Boston and back with 17.17.4. There was a heavy rainstorm, lines barely visible from mist and splashing, but it kept a lock on the lines. Incredible line detection. At another point, in a construction zone, there was a jumble of poorly erased old lines and new lines, but it was not confused. Promising for FSD.
One problematic area is cars merging into your lane in front of you; too much lag time in detection.

I think the merging issue could be because AP doesn't seem to be using the front ultrasonics to detect encroaching cars and instead relies on the radar which at close range has a narrow cone of detection. Cars encroaching at low speed nearby don't get detected until they enter the car's radar beam which is in the centreline of the car. I've played with AP and merging cars in stop-start traffic and always have to brake the even when the merging car it is mere inches from my car but where it hasn't yet passed through the centerline of my car.

• Informative
Reactions: Duke-U and enzo