Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure wish it was that easy for all of us! Can you video yourself timing how long you can leave your hand off the wheel? I'm curious why some of us are limited to 60 seconds while others can leave their hands off indefinitely.

I think you misunderstood the post. They were saying that they can go indefinitely without nags with their hands resting on the wheel. This is generally my experience as well, though it took a bit of adjustment to get that to happen. With my standard driving profile the wheel is too high for me to be able to comfortably just leave my hands on it while also giving enough pressure to let it know I'm there, so I get constant nags.

I got around that by setting up an AP-specific profile I switch to that lowers the wheel so I can rest comfortably(I've suggested in a few different places that Tesla make this an explicit feature). The necessity of that may vary with your body type. Anyway, you can do that or just jiggle the wheel every once in a while. I don't see Tesla doing away with the nags anytime soon, especially since that recent NHTSA report credited them with making AP safe to use.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
An occasional jiggle of the wheel is a poor proxy for alertness. One could easily read their email or - as in the case of the actual Tesla fatality last year - watch a movie while keeping the nag system satisfied. No one would dare to rely solely on AP2 in its current form, so the greater danger will be when the system gets good enough to lure some people into inattentiveness.

Although it will feel like an invasion of privacy, I think all these vehicles are going to have to go to eye-tracking cameras and other somatic measures of attentiveness.

An occasional jiggle of the wheel is a poor proxy for alertness. One could easily read their email or - as in the case of the actual Tesla fatality last year - watch a movie while keeping the nag system satisfied. No one would dare to rely solely on AP2 in its current form, so the greater danger will be when the system gets good enough to lure some people into inattentiveness.

Although it will feel like an invasion of privacy, I think all these vehicles are going to have to go to eye-tracking cameras and other somatic measures of attentiveness.

I sincerely doubt today's head-tracking technology can tell if you are using googly eye novelty sunglasses, or block the camera with a small video of a person staring ahead on a loop.

For every complicated attention-tracking system there will be some way of defeating it, and some annoyance from users that think they're paying attention but the car disagrees.

I'd just go straight for making the windshield a LCD screen, and every 10 minutes disconnect the steering wheel / brake pedal and simulate the image of a truck heading right at you. If the driver doesn't attempt to correct, lock him out of AP.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike

If you're actively trying to defeat the system, then yes, no system is going to work. The current system keeps you paying attention so long as you aren't dead set on not paying attention. It's less an "are you paying attention?" and more a "remember, you need to pay attention."

I agree @MarcusMaximus . Unfortunately in an attempt to avoid product liability the lawyers have produced a flood of often-silly warnings that no one is really expected to heed. So when something like this comes along, that you really need to take seriously, people have been conditioned to shrug it off.

Here's a dialog that never happened:

Kirk: I need warp speed now!

Scotty: The engines canna take it! She'll blow!

Kirk: Oh, OK. Then let's wait.

Thanks guys for all your input on the autosteer nag matter, I really appreciate it. After following some of your advice and suggestions, I discovered that I can stop the AS nag easier by slightly turning or tugging on the steering wheel, but not enough to break AS. It usually takes me one to two slight tugs on the wheel for the car to register, but it's a lot less effort than pushing on the steering wheel.

The recommendation with LATCH is regarding the weight limit. If the child + the seat exceeds the weight limit of the anchors, it is best to use the seatbelt. Here is a quick article I found on it.

LATCH: What's the Deal with Weight Limits? - Car Seats For The Littles

As my kids got older (and heavier) I used LATCH to hold the seat/booster in place, but still used the seatbelt. Not sure if this was a good idea or not, but that's what I did.

The laws have changed significantly in the past couple years (that post was from 2015) and most laws are based on height rather than weight. In California, the minimum height is 4'9 or taller. Here is the ruling:

Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4'9” in height must be secured by a safety belt. Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.

Rules may change from state to state so always best to check with your local Sheriff's Department. They will usually check your car, help adjust or recommend seats or boosters, if needed.

The laws have changed significantly in the past couple years (that post was from 2015) and most laws are based on height rather than weight. In California, the minimum height is 4'9 or taller. Here is the ruling:

Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4'9” in height must be secured by a safety belt. Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.

Rules may change from state to state so always best to check with your local Sheriff's Department. They will usually check your car, help adjust or recommend seats or boosters, if needed.

Good point.

True that the laws are based on height (and age) and vary greatly between states. But, the best way to attach the seat in the car is based on seat manufacturer guideline. Recently they have started moving people to seat belts for heavier kids (or heavier kid/kid seat combo). My understanding is that this is due to the strength of the LATCH anchors. They are easy to connect (which is a huge benefit), but are not as strong as seat belts when holding down heavier objects.

...LATCH anchors. They are easy to connect (which is a huge benefit)

My experience is just the opposite. I have an UppaBaby base that acts as a dock for the actual seat. The LATCH belt is on a spring-loaded ratcheted belt that really wants to retract and lock while I'm trying to dig into the Model S seat to find the connector, which is never where I think it is. I haven't had such fumbling backseat frustration since high school.

....AP is not there to enable texting, web browsing, or toe nail clipping.
Thank goodness doing the newspaper crossword puzzle during my daily morning commute isn't on the list.;) Seriously though I've never had the nag come on yet while using the AS. There's virtually no traffic on the roads during my ungodly early morning drive. Under those conditions, I just rest my left elbow on the top of the door panel and lightly keep my left hand on the wheel. I can drive like that sometimes for 10-20 minutes on a straightaway with no nag.

I always put both hands back on the wheel in anticipation of the adrenaline thrill ride that is the AS trying to negotiate a curved section of the highway. I've also noticed that when the AS drives itself into an adjacent lane (slightly), there's no vibrating feedback from the lane departure warning feature. Its like AP2 thinks, "that's not a mistake, I meant to drift over into that lane". I suppose the real answer is that the lane departure vibe is disabled when engaging AS.

I do quite often get a nag when trying to keep a tighter distance to the car in front of me by applying the accelerator while AS is enabled. I don't recall the exact words, but it is something to the effect of "cruise will not brake while accelerating". Most of the time I am patient enough to let the lag of the AP2 time to kick in and close the distance to my preprogrammed "1". However, on the commute home that is hardly practical as the MadMax crew is out in full force; weaving and bobbing through traffic, setting off my auto brake as they squeeze their Terex tire-outfitted pick 'em up trucks into the safety margin I've created between the car in front of me.

One of the features I recently enabled is the auto lane change. I was hesitant initially given the nascent stage of AP2's skills. However, it works great! Probably better than any of the other AP2 features.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and OBX John
Thank goodness doing the newspaper crossword puzzle during my daily morning commute isn't on the list.

Quick, what's a four-letter word meaning "deceased"?

"I suppose the real answer is that the lane departure vibe is disabled when engaging AS."

Or, as would seem more logical, AS and lane departure warning are using the same code and hardware, badly. If the car knows enough to issue a warning, it should just correct itself when it's doing the steering.

"I suppose the real answer is that the lane departure vibe is disabled when engaging AS."

Or, as would seem more logical, AS and lane departure warning are using the same code and hardware, badly. If the car knows enough to issue a warning, it should just correct itself when it's doing the steering.

Personally I would like an apology when the car steers itself out of the lane and knows it... ;-)

"Kilt"? As in AS swerved onto the shoulder and kilt an armadillo.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
AutoSteer at about 70 mph. The connecting freeways had a fairly sharp right turn . I was in the far right lane. The car did slow down during the turn to about 64 mph , however completely missed the mark of staying in the lane and jumped to the middle lane.

Nothing scary since there was no one around I let it drift and took over.
IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4727.PNG
IMG_4728.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark