Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my commute this morning 8.5 was quite noticeably smoother and more confident and the toy cars were both more accurately classified and more properly placed in their lanes.

NoA is still a hot mess for me because it keeps popping up a lane change prompt and then taking it away dozens of times per minute. I’ll try it on a longer trip tomorrow.

All in all another couple inches forward for autopilot. FSD is looking a little more plausible now.

Yes. I'm not in the EA program.

And 8.3 had been flawless for me, fwiw.
Did you preorder FSD? There was a reference Elon made, perhaps in the Ark interview?, that those who had preordered FSD last year would be invited into EAP come April.. Perhaps he said next month. I wonder if we've just been put in Early Access? The Tesla response, "not available for you yet" might suggest it's limited availability. Of course, if you don't have FSD that blows up the theory. Nobody has reached out to me and I got 8.3 last week and 8.5 last night.

No Problems with 8.3 at all. Received 8.5 last night:

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1810.jpeg
    IMG_1810.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 52
Someone commented to Sheryl Crow's tweet that the reboot should have "fixed" it and Elon Musk replied that it was odd that it didn't.

I don't know the answer but the bottom line is Elon said they would update the FW so that there were never situations in which the screen would be unusable. The car can use the ambient light sensor for example to force a minimal visible screen brightness during the day, regardless of what some idiot user thinks they ought to do (in this case the idiot user was apparently Crow's child).

Well, a reboot normally fixes a "black screen". I suspect Musk simply failed to consider the black screen was caused simply by Crow's son turning the brightness all the way down and putting it in night mode. He's a busy man and might not have taken the time to fully understand what had happened.

Those are the actions of a kid that is feeling left out and ignored. He might need more love and attention from his parents.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
As a new (3 weeks since M3 delivery) Tesla owner I'm confused by one aspect of this thread. Posters are referring to versions 5.xx and 8.xx firmware while my car is running on software version 9.0. Are "software" and "firmware" two different things? If so, how would I know which version(s) I have? I apologize in advance for my newbie ignorance.

As a new (3 weeks since M3 delivery) Tesla owner I'm confused by one aspect of this thread. Posters are referring to versions 5.xx and 8.xx firmware while my car is running on software version 9.0. Are "software" and "firmware" two different things? If so, how would I know which version(s) I have? I apologize in advance for my newbie ignorance.

Firmware is in year.week.version format.

We’re all on version 9. It gets updated periodically and we’re now up to 2019.8.5 which is shipping code from the year 2019 in the eighth week of the year and the fifth revision.

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers

Think of version 9 as the overall graphical interface. I believe the first version 9 release was with 2018.39.x. All updates since then are considered version 9, at least until they release version 9.x or 10 of the interface. Normally when we talk about versions here we are referring to the actual version number of the software itself. In this case it's 2019.8.5. The versions are numbered based on year, then the week of the year and then a sub-version. So version 2019.8.5 is based off of a build from the 8th week of 2019 and is the 5th revision of that build.

People use firmware and software interchangeably on here all the time. Software is the more correct term when talking about new version releases for the Tesla vehicles. Software typically refers to something you directly interact with such as an OS or an app. Firmware is the software that controls hardware at a low level. Firmware is just a specific kind of software. It's very possible that many of the updates our cars get include both software and firmware updates, but as a whole I usually refer to the update as a software update.

Me too, I did not get to even drive 8.4 before I got 8.5. Anyone know any differences between the two ?

Drove 8.5 this morning, and it was not encouraging when my car jerked with an aggressive brake because a car far ahead of me pulled into my lane.
I, just recently, noticed that as well. I suspect it started in 8.3 or earlier if I have an earlier 8.n. Is it braking or simply ceased accelerating, forcing rapid deceleration due to regen? I don't know as, while it was noticeable, it wasn't lurching, I didn't feel my body violently thrust forward. And, it was very short lived. But the point is still valid in that, given the distance to target, it could have done nothing or just slowed down a tad. What may be unfortunate is that the events are so short lived that drivers don't initiate a disengagement which is what Tesla tracks for things needing improvement.

Someone commented to Sheryl Crow's tweet that the reboot should have "fixed" it and Elon Musk replied that it was odd that it didn't.

No, actually he replied "Agreed" in that he agrees it should, then he went on "Night mode default brightness is actually too high imo. Should be lower & allow below current “0%” level. Making that adjustment too."

So it sounds like he is logging requests to make the screen visible after a reboot and to improve the brightness functionality.