Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Cobbler
At 9:59 the slide shows that px2 is only sufficient for L3 autonomy?
Saying something is "sufficient" is an unknown at this point since there are no true lvl 5 cars on the road.

Nvidia is not even saying you'd need two for fully autonomous, they are suggesting you can put more than one in a vehicle...two, five, ten, whatever.

I've also never seen a source suggesting Tesla's Drive PX2 is custom. Custom in the sense that a PNY or MSI Geforce GTX 1080ti is "custom" vs the Nvidia reference card or did Tesla help design it? Is it simply custom connectors? We know they wanted a custom setup with EyeQ3 but they couldn't get it, I don't know any more than that.

Again, how do you know it is a double SoC board?
The non-small form factor Drive PX2 "system" consists of two SoCs and two GPUs and it's the same approximate shape as the enclosure in the AP 2.0 cars. Until someone opens one up, most of us are assuming it's not full of empty space.

If they were using anything radically different then you can't really call it Drive PX2 anymore. It *should* be two Tegra (Parker) chips and two GPUs (Pascal)
(where small form factor is one and one)

Last edited:
The non-small form factor Drive PX2 "system" consists of two SoCs and two GPUs and it's the same approximate shape as the enclosure in the AP 2.0 cars. Until someone opens one up, most of us are assuming it's not full of empty space.

A bunch of that space is necessary for all of the connectors. And more of it is necessary for cooling since Tesla didn't go with a liquid cooled setup.

A bunch of that space is necessary for all of the connectors. And more of it is necessary for cooling since Tesla didn't go with a liquid cooled setup.
But the connectors are outside the box and cooling is likely happening with those black sections on the top:

twdp3K.jpg

Again, how do you know it is a double SoC board?
Not 100% sure yet, but so far in the other thread there are two nodes in HW2, one called "ape" (which seems to handle EAP) and one called "lb". HW1 only had 1 node.
BTW, HW2 systems added 2 more computer systems (As in network-accessible) compared to HW1, one is eap itself, the other one is cryptically labeled lb, but I have no idea what is it and when is it on if ever.
Anyway important parts - for lb I only know the name and adress, but it's not on ever as far as I can tell.
the diagram noting A-B link is gige seems to imply B host is a separate node, so a high candidate for this LB stuff.

EAP node is actually called ape.

They appear to be network connected just like how PX2 describes the double SoC configuration:
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

The "ape" part is already confirmed to match the Parker SoC configuration (used in PX2):
AP2.0 Cameras: Capabilities and Limitations?

"lb" doesn't appear active, so can't verify yet.

Last edited:
With a little help from my friend w/AP2, I just captured some nice pics of the AP2.0ECU! Managed to do some measurements to ;) (metric):

Now - someone with the b**** please unscrew that thing and open it for us to see its guts :)
How do you think: would it be possible to fit this one instead of AP1?