Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Fold second row now available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see you placed a new order. Congrats! My S (canceled X order) will start production soon. I'm probably going to just stick with the S for now. Maybe the Y will work for me in a few years.
Thanks. The S is still the most amazing sedan on the planet. I've been dreaming of having an electric SUV for a long time. Its finally coming my way, 1,730 days ago I almost feel off my chair when a colleague of mine told me that Tesla was making that happen. And now here we are. Phew.... I though I was going to end up in a Volvo XC90, not. ;)

No flat floor. So no go for me. At least it is moving in the right direction.

I buy suv for its ability to carry people as well as cargo.

I don't think Tesla is going to remove the battery to provide a flat floor. ICE cars can place the gas tank and seats to provide a flat floor. I don't see how Tesla can provide similar except perhaps allowing the second row to flip 90 degrees.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't think Tesla is going to remove the battery to provide a flat floor. ICE cars can place the gas tank and seats to provide a flat floor. I don't see how Tesla can provide similar except perhaps allowing the second row to flip 90 degrees.

Or, make the bench seat removable - this is unlikely however because seat belts are anchored to the seats.

Cancel that thought. With a bench seat, there's probably no easy way to access the 3rd row.
The way I read the revised Model X configuration page, the fold flat second row is only offered in the 5-seat configuration which has no 3rd row, and that is the only way that seating configuration is available, it is no longer available with the 3 individual "mono post" seats in the second row.

The 6 and 7 seat configurations are unchanged.

That is how I interpret it.

This change is a tacit admission by Elon and Tesla that the launch version of the X with the 3 individual "mono post" non-folding seats in the second row was on balance not well received and needed to be changed. Kudos to them of taking seriously the market feedback.

Those who like the 3 individual "mono post" seats in the second row can still get them in the 7-seat configuration, or can get just 2 of them in the 6-seat configuration.

The image for 5 seater also still shows vents in rear so will be interesting to see if they really do stay. Assuming they would then route air from the single A/C and heater to those if so - bit many vents for one unit.
It's probably a computer generated image. Vents would still be useful if you want to use the X in a camper mode. Would be nice to have some vents in the back for cold/warm nights in a sleeping bag.

Looks like it has a shelf type thing to make a flat floor on the website now.
ui_five_seats_lhd.jpg

However, it seems like there is a lot of wasted space under that new extended "shelf". I wonder if there will be a way to access that space?

I would imagine the shelf is removable (at least it looks like it to me). So put stuff under there first, then put the shelf on. I I think I would actually like that for the dog, lets me have the seats folded, cargo under the shelf, and the dog on top of the shelf.

The image for 5 seater also still shows vents in rear so will be interesting to see if they really do stay. Assuming they would then route air from the single A/C and heater to those if so - bit many vents for one unit.

Having vents in the rear is also useful for anyone keeping their pets in the cargo area. In the S the hatch has very poor ventilation even with the AC blasting on LO and 11.

Removing the vents would be yet another variant to assemble on the factory floor.