Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... I wonder if opting out of beta request, would eventually trigger a software update and the loss of "the button"
People can always choose not to update their firmware in order to continue restarting their safety score as needed.

In my case, I never opted in, so my Model S kept updating to the firmwares on the .36 branch, which were mainly destined to countries outside the US, who don't have regulatory approval to run FSD yet.

It never occurred to me when I rejected the opportunity to try FSD, that Musk would play the bait and switch technique again, but now with the camera hardware.

I'm guessing Tesla didn't want to further upset early FSD buyers, so they kept quiet and let RCCC vehicle drivers to join the Safety Score™ game knowing very well the game was rigged from the beginning
Remember Hanlon’s Razor: Don’t attribute malice or ill intent to that which is more easily explained by negligence or incompetence.

Last edited:
Ouch....we made Elon Rage Quit Teslarati. Wow!

1635710857824.png

Is that a threat?
LOL - no, it's a tweet.

Was trying to think like he does might but have no frame of reference, especially where I could speak half-way intelligently. Thats not business or finances or cryptocurrency. He's made spiritual references on several quotes so I suspect at least a small interest in spiritual things if not more.

I'm just half trying to get his interest - make him.laugh, mention a topic he likes and I can talk to - kind of like a conversation starter with someone you just met. Figure it might help get a real response, but likely not.

I think you may have something backwards here. While Tesla does provide an upgrade path to MCU2, it is a paid option. For customers who purchased FSD at time of sale, the upgrade to HW3 is free. When you refer to AP2.0 and AP2.5, I suspect you are referring to HW2.5 and HW3.

Some of the 2018 builds are not getting the FSD beta either. From what I can see, the requirement is that the vehicle must have both HW3 and MCU2. It is not clear if older vehicles that have received both upgrades become eligible for the beta. Can anybody say from direct personal knowledge?

I think you may have something backwards here. While Tesla does provide an upgrade path to MCU2, it is a paid option. For customers who purchased FSD at time of sale, the upgrade to HW3 is free. When you refer to AP2.0 and AP2.5, I suspect you are referring to HW2.5 and HW3.

Some of the 2018 builds are not getting the FSD beta either. From what I can see, the requirement is that the vehicle must have both HW3 and MCU2. It is not clear if older vehicles that have received both upgrades become eligible for the beta. Can anybody say from direct personal knowledge?
You mean a car originally sold with AP2.5 & MCU1 that has been upgraded to MCU? I imagine there aren’t a lot of those. And this thread is focused on those of us with AP2.0 that need new cameras to get FSD Beta & have already paid for MCU2.

The real question is what you want to define as damages... The cost of FSD? The cost of new cameras? The cost of the whole car?
The answer seems obvious. The claim would be that Tesla fraudulently accepted the cost of FSD without delivering, and any gains derived from that fraudulent act should accrue to the injured party.

Since I purchased FSD, the stock price has gone from around $68 to around $1114, so today's claim would be for the cost of FSD times roughly 16. :)

It wouldn't fly in court, but it would make for some really entertaining hoopla in the press.

...this thread is focused on those of us with AP2.0 that need new cameras to get FSD Beta & have already paid for MCU2.
Apologies. I totally missed the camera issue. My vehicle allegedly has the latest cameras, but as near as I can tell the cameras can't resolve out far enough to see traffic lights in time for moderate braking at speed. Out here we have 55MPH state roads with traffic lights. Makes for some very uncomfortable autopilot braking.

You mean a car originally sold with AP2.5 & MCU1 that has been upgraded to MCU2?
Actually, I'm thinking of the cars that sold with AP2.5 & MCU1 that were upgraded to HW3 but still have MCU1. There was a statement above that MCU1 is a blocker. Given that autopilot continues merrily along when the MCU is rebooted while driving, I'm not convinced that is correct. In any case, I'm holding off on an MCU upgrade. If MCU2 is required for FSD, Tesla will eventually be forced to comp that upgrade as well.

I think ya'll should chill and have some faith in the company. It's obvious that there are some complications with older hardware that is not being disclosed by Tesla. It's not even clear to me that the CURRENT generation of hardware is going to work whenever FSD is finalized. Tesla will have a fix for us folk eventually....fact is that pleasing the small subsect of disgruntled early adopters is likely the 100th hardest problem in a long list of other urgent priorities. I say that as someone with a 2016 85D who has been put through the rigamarole as well. i paid for FSD and I expect to get it without having to change cars. once it becomes apparent that they aren't going to meet this obligation, then perhaps ill eat my sock and raise hell. but i don't feel like we are that point yet

I have a 75S with upgraded MCU2, HW3 and AP3, but AP2 cameras and no FSD beta at initial 100 nor subsequent 99 score. So last Saturday I tried to schedule a camera upgrade with service using the app and within a few hours I received a message that they are currently not set up for this and were therefore canceling my appointment. I called customer service and talked to a gentlemen who indicated he was unaware of the issue but would look up my specifics (VIN, HW, AP, etc.) and check on the status of cameras if I would stay on the phone. In about 5-10 min he returned and indicated that yes, I would need to get the camera(s) update; that there was no plan or schedule at the moment but it would be covered in the FSD package and that Tesla would send an email out when they were available. I informed him that I wanted to "turn off" Safety Score in the interim, and asked if that was possible and if it could be restarted when the cameras were updated. He replied yes. I "opted out" that day and my Safety Score immediately did not record any miles for that day. By the next day, Safety Score was no longer available in the app. I do however still have the "opt in" button under Autopilot and presume it will start the whole process over again. My thought right now is to monitor conversations as to the availability of camera installations and to schedule a service appointment every few weeks until I get in, even if I don't hear by email.

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
I have a 75S with upgraded MCU2, HW3 and AP3, but AP2 cameras and no FSD beta at initial 100 nor subsequent 99 score. So last Saturday I tried to schedule a camera upgrade with service using the app and within a few hours I received a message that they are currently not set up for this and were therefore canceling my appointment. I called customer service and talked to a gentlemen who indicated he was unaware of the issue but would look up my specifics (VIN, HW, AP, etc.) and check on the status of cameras if I would stay on the phone. In about 5-10 min he returned and indicated that yes, I would need to get the camera(s) update; that there was no plan or schedule at the moment but it would be covered in the FSD package and that Tesla would send an email out when they were available. I informed him that I wanted to "turn off" Safety Score in the interim, and asked if that was possible and if it could be restarted when the cameras were updated. He replied yes. I "opted out" that day and my Safety Score immediately did not record any miles for that day. By the next day, Safety Score was no longer available in the app. I do however still have the "opt in" button under Autopilot and presume it will start the whole process over again. My thought right now is to monitor conversations as to the availability of camera installations and to schedule a service appointment every few weeks until I get in, even if I don't hear by email.
The concern with opting out, in my opinion, is that you get an update on your vehicle and the request button is gone never to return. I just opted back in for that reason. I figure by the time we get the camera issue sorted out it will include safety scores of 90 and above anyway. I’m just gonna drive the usual way I drive.