Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted back in last night, and an empty safety score popped up in my app today. So yes, my score was apparently reset.

I emailed the local service center this morning asking to make an appointment. Looks like the parts availability theory is true. This is going to take a while. :(
Tesla’s website clearly states that they cannot handle all of the demand for a while and therefore are inviting people based on hardware configurations and safety score. Of course it never hurts to try to cut the line. 😀

But even for those of us invited, delays seem like a good probability.

I changed the gateway.config value to 2 on my Model S when I did the camera swap, I just decided not to participate in Elon's Safety Score® game.

I saw your video on YouTube yesterday, and I'm actually more interested on the B pillar applique you purchased. Did you get the Revision B of the 1496707 and 1496709 part numbers, or the Revision D?
@Art VandeIay can you message me when you get a chance. I got the REV B's and had the NFC card reader which I didn't have a cable for. Maybe we can get someone to confirm if the D rev doesn't have the NFC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krash
Ok so from what I can digest here:
FSD will end up requiring MCU2 AND new Cameras when all said and done. It's not obvious to some people on this thread as some claim MCU1 is good enough; and it seems like new cameras are needed.

Not to stir things up but I paid for HW3/MCU2 because when I typed the Subscribe to FSD button Tesla required me to get HW3 (which ended up being bundled with MCU2 upgrade); I got the button but my score is not great so far.

I am afraid I am going to get another bill for Camera Upgrade in a few months!

I opted back in last night, and an empty safety score popped up in my app today. So yes, my score was apparently reset.

I emailed the local service center this morning asking to make an appointment. Looks like the parts availability theory is true. This is going to take a while. :(
Ouch on the timeline. My service center (NW FL) cancelled. Just said I would be contacted directly when it's time for me to schedule my appointment. Has anybody confirmed (or ruled out) this can be done with mobile service? My guess is no due to calibration process?

Update: my service center just stated you can use mobile service.

Ouch on the timeline. My service center (NW FL) cancelled. Just said I would be contacted directly when it's time for me to schedule my appointment. Has anybody confirmed (or ruled out) this can be done with mobile service? My guess is no due to calibration process?

Update: my service center just stated you can use mobile service.
I believe on the website it says it can do via mobile service

The Tesla information page on FSD says that mobile can perform the camera upgrade.

Exciting times everyone!

It seems there’s still a bit of dread going on in this thread but I think it’s time to rejoice that we have real answers that aren’t vague tweets and an official upgrade pathway coming to us.

Just patience from here, folks. It’s coming!

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the thread and on Twitter especially those without effected vehicles who supported those of us left behind. The fires we lit certainly pushed to get this done sooner than later and I’m confident of that.

It's not obvious to some people on this thread as some claim MCU1 is good enough; and it seems like new cameras are needed
Directly from the support page for Full Self-Driving Computer Installations / Camera Replacements:
"We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores containing Intel Atom® infotainment processors (MCU2) and then to those containing NVIDIA® Tegra® processors (MCU1)." (emphasis and MCU# added)

At least the current communications suggests MCU1 will be able to support FSD. Unclear if during FSD Beta or just generally when though…

Other support pages like Infotainment Upgrade have also suggested that MCU1 would be compatible with FSD as MCU2 "just" makes the visualizations better: "Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with the Full Self-Driving Capability Computer," but then again, we didn't officially find out about the RCCC / "different type of color sensor" camera situation until now.

"We are working through supply constraints, and the invitations will be staggered as supply allows. Invitations will be sent first to vehicles with the highest safety scores”

Oh man, on the other hand I am *really* not looking forward to gaming the score system again just for eligibility for a camera upgrade which may be months out.

I’d be happy to opt back in to get beta but just for the upgrade queue? Yikes.. guess I shouldn’t have opted out with 2k miles under my safety score belt at 100.

Oh man, on the other hand I am *really* not looking forward to gaming the score system again just for eligibility for a camera upgrade which may be months out.

I’d be happy to opt back in to get beta but just for the upgrade queue? Yikes.. guess I shouldn’t have opted out with 2k miles under my safety score belt at 100.
I was worried about ending up in that boat. That's why we didn't opt out, even though my wife wanted to as she's sick of playing the safety score game. But even though we have MCU2 & a 100 safety score we still have not been invited to schedule an appt for the camera replacement. :(

"Included" "Free Upgrade" you still have to play a game for, what a joke. When in 6 months safety score is fleet wide required for all autopilot and you have to drive manually to work because you have an 80, we'll see if a car without over the air updates that still has working ADAS was such a bad idea.

The Tesla information page on FSD says that mobile can perform the camera upgrade.
It may depend on the metro area how they are choosing to handle this. I’m in PHX area with three Service Centers and normally service appointments default to mobile. In this case I was offered to install at any of the three centers. Of course all of this info is less than a day old, so who knows if they will even have the cameras for my appointment.

Reactions: MikeScarne

I opted out and will opt it later today. Hopefully my 95 is reset and I can get an invite on the next wave.

What's the lowest score here that got the invite? I did not get one with 95.

this is a nice development.. Glad I opted back in before my 250 mile drive on autopilot.. Still no invite, but many thanks to OP for bringing awareness and now resolution to the issue.. and, back to driving like grandma cuz it counts again

Just talked to Scottsdale Service Center. (Of course I have no idea if the person I spoke to is very knowledgeable on this upgrade.) He said they weren’t doing the installs by mobile. He also said my Nov 22 appointment may be good as they are being told parts are on the way. We’ll see, but that kind of sounds like “the check is in the mail”😂

PS Thanks for your leadership on this issue for TMC! I’m sure this thread helped get influencers on Twitter and elsewhere interested.

As for wondering if gaming the system again is worth it, I will say that my FSD Beta-equipped Model 3 is pretty jacked up. My wife and I took a 1000 mile trip last weekend with 10.3.1. The City Streets stuff was ragged but still fun for me (but not her!). The discouraging part was all of the phantom braking on the highway — much more than on the wide release software. Hopefully the all-cameras approach will work out but my early results are not great.

Last edited:
You will. The Tesla page makes it very clear that FSD subscriptions don't receive free hardware upgrades. (Only people that have purchased FSD get the free hardware upgrades.)
Amazing that they are taking my subscription money and let me play with the FSD beta queue and I get nothing "useful" out of it (oh I get the visualization!)
IMHO they should not take the subscription money; at least when I subscribed first they were clear I had to pay/get HW3 first which is what I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheburashka
I'm very happy those of you with AP 2.0 cameras are getting a free upgrade. That's awesome!

Our late 2017 MS has AP 2.5 cameras and has been upgraded to HW3 when we bought FSD, but we're still on MCU1. I asked the service center if I could get a firmware version more recent than last year and this is how they responded:

IMG_5992.jpeg

They seem to be saying that if an MCU1 has the 64 GB eMMC chip it will also get the latest firmware. That doesn't sound right. We're still on the old 8 GB eMMC chip, waiting for the 64 GB replacement under recall.

Does anyone with FSD + MCU1 and the 64 GB eMMC have the newer FSD Beta firmware? I'm thinking the SC is just confused because it sure seems that MCU2 is a requirement for getting the FSD Beta firmware right now, but if all that's needed is the newer eMMC chip that would be great news.

I'm very happy those of you with AP 2.0 cameras are getting a free upgrade. That's awesome!

Our late 2017 MS has AP 2.5 cameras and has been upgraded to HW3 when we bought FSD, but we're still on MCU1. I asked the service center if I could get a firmware version more recent than last year and this is how they responded:

View attachment 731158

They seem to be saying that if an MCU1 has the 64 GB eMMC chip it will also get the latest firmware. That doesn't sound right. We're still on the old 8 GB eMMC chip, waiting for the 64 GB replacement under recall.

Does anyone with FSD + MCU1 and the 64 GB eMMC have the newer FSD Beta firmware? I'm thinking the SC is just confused because it sure seems that MCU2 is a requirement for getting the FSD Beta firmware right now, but if all that's needed is the newer eMMC chip that would be great news.
Why did you not get the MCU1 eMMC recall done yet? I know I debated having mine done but then they did MCU2/HW3 upgrade for reasonable ($2000) I did that instead.