Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those 2018’s on mcu1 got the right cams
Oh indeed. MCU1 got replaced around March 2018 while HW2/RCCC cameras earlier around August 2017.

Anybody here with S/X manufactured between those times and already got the HW3 computer retrofit while keeping MCU1? If the upcoming holiday update includes a toggle for FSD, please report back then. If it happens, hopefully those even earlier adopters will be able to get camera retrofits soon.

Reactions: Solar40
They still won’t do my cams. How did you get them to do it. I guess it depends on sc. I’ve seen a few people get them, but not many. I think those 2018’s on mcu1 got the right cams. I could be wrong.
I assume you have the other FSDb requirements - opted in, 100 AP miles in the last rolling 30-day period, AP3, MCU2. Not sure you need all of these just for the cam retrofit but now that score is irrelevant it's a no-brainer to maintain those parts you can control - opted in & AP miles anyway.

Reactions: Solar40
I assume you have the other FSDb requirements - opted in, 100 AP miles in the last rolling 30-day period, AP3, MCU2. Not sure you need all of these just for the cam retrofit but now that score is irrelevant it's a no-brainer to maintain those parts you can control - opted in & AP miles anyway.
Solar40 looks like they have MCU1. MCU1 can't request FSD Beta. I'm living proof

Reactions: Tesomega
Nah, still on mcu1.

So just to clarify, I have HW3, MCU1. I had the old cameras, and the shop just upgraded my cameras, only my cameras. I did not have the opt in button, nor the safety score in my app.

I only have 1 tesla car, so I can't get the safety score through one of the other cars on my account.

So I will be one of the few MCU1s with new cameras if they give me my car back anytime soon.

Reactions: Krash
So just to clarify, I have HW3, MCU1. I had the old cameras, and the shop just upgraded my cameras, only my cameras. I did not have the opt in button, nor the safety score in my app.

I only have 1 tesla car, so I can't get the safety score through one of the other cars on my account.

So I will be one of the few MCU1s with new cameras if they give me my car back anytime soon.
Yea, I think I'm getting cameras for my MCU1 on Dec 19. They'll probably cancel it the day prior. Wish I could charge them $100 for canceling within 24 hours. Happens too often.

Even after I get the cameras I don't expect to see the FSD Beta button

So, the service center reports that my car is ready. The have installed the cameras and i "should" be able to request beta. I'm going to make them prove it. They said my drive unit will need to be replaced, they have ordered one, but in the meantime i can still drive it.
Yea....nah.
"Your car needs 100+ miles to calibrate the cameras before you can request it" -Tesla Service

I'm hopeful for you though! Please let it work!

have not received an invitation to upgrade my cameras
Others have been able to put in a service request for the new cameras even without being invited first: Wiki - FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

2022.8.10.6 is the most up to date software it will give me
I believe these 2022.8.10.x software series are for those on MCU1 (and before that 2021.24.28) and belatedly brought the 2021 "holiday update" related changes (which also included FSD Beta request button for MCU2+ vehicles). I don't think people have even seen the FSD Beta "early access" request button on MCU1, but assuming 2022 holiday update includes FSD Beta "regular access" as a plain toggle for wide release and includes MCU1 vehicles, then the "only" requirement should be getting HW2/RCCC cameras replaced with RCCB without needing to change from MCU1.

It sounds like Tesla is trying to provide this year's update at the same time for all MCU versions instead of the experience this past year needing to wait 6+ months after the holidays.

Just got an update through chat on my new service appointment, they have added cameras to the appointment
Did you end up getting RCCB cameras replaced for your MCU1 vehicle? If so, maybe share the service/part numbers if you haven't confirmed the right parts yourself, and you might be one to report back if this happens potentially later this month:
Maybe wide release of FSD as part of the production vehicle software holiday update means it's generally safe enough including those with MCU1 without the full visualizations more required for safety during "early access…" although FSD Beta can drive fine even when the display is restarting.

FWIW:

Late 2016 Model S, MCU2 upgrade done ~2 years ago including HW3. I have enhanced autopilot package, NOT FSD. Received a camera upgrade invite via Tesla app inbox a couple weeks ago. Decided to schedule service as directed and see what happens. Received and approved $0 estimate, mobile service supposed to be here in the morning.

Will report back.

Did you end up getting RCCB cameras replaced for your MCU1 vehicle? If so, maybe share the service/part numbers if you haven't confirmed the right parts yourself, and you might be one to report back if this happens potentially later this month:
Maybe wide release of FSD as part of the production vehicle software holiday update means it's generally safe enough including those with MCU1 without the full visualizations more required for safety during "early access…" although FSD Beta can drive fine even when the display is restarting.
My "Tesla service rep" told me a "few months"....in October of 2021. Yea...they don't know. They just don't want you to bother them.

Last edited:
FWIW:

Late 2016 Model S, MCU2 upgrade done ~2 years ago including HW3. I have enhanced autopilot package, NOT FSD. Received a camera upgrade invite via Tesla app inbox a couple weeks ago. Decided to schedule service as directed and see what happens. Received and approved $0 estimate, mobile service supposed to be here in the morning.

Will report back.
All done. $0 invoice paid. Hoping this addresses some of the choppy video and "camera blocked/blinded" issues I've been experiencing, guess we'll see. Need to go for a drive and do the calibration.