Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to tell on TeslaFi if a vehicle still has MCU1? There was a software update on this vehicle from MCU1 2022.8.10.8 to FSD Beta 10.69.25 / 2022.44.25.5:

mcu1 to fsd.png

Anybody else here get FSD Beta on MCU1? Potentially this vehicle upgraded to MCU2 and got FSD Beta at the same time… 🤔

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker 2022.44.25.5 / FSD Beta 10.69.25 bottom table shows this 2017 X P100D.

Reactions: scottf200
Is there a way to tell on TeslaFi if a vehicle still has MCU1? There was a software update on this vehicle from MCU1 2022.8.10.8 to FSD Beta 10.69.25 / 2022.44.25.5:

View attachment 889645

Anybody else here get FSD Beta on MCU1? Potentially this vehicle upgraded to MCU2 and got FSD Beta at the same time… 🤔

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker 2022.44.25.5 / FSD Beta 10.69.25 bottom table shows this 2017 X P100D.
Not sure by my MCU1 (now MCU2) June 2017 X 100D VINs is 54xxx and theirs is 75xxx. MCU2 came out ~ Aug 2017.
If I were a betting person then I'd say a MCU1->MCU2 upgrade.

Well, couple weeks gone by, and all I have to show for camera upgrades is this loose trim piece, that was haphazardly glued back on. This is going to require a one day trip to the service center...denied mobile service...denied loaner/Uber credits.
I was also sent an estimate for $1200, even after explaining that this is on them for breaking and replacing that trim piece, in the first place. (during the camera install)
PXL_20221227_210747006.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, couple weeks gone by, and all I have to show for camera upgrades is this loose trim piece, that was haphazardly glued back on. This is going to require a one day trip to the service center...denied mobile service...denied loaner/Uber credits.
I was also sent an estimate for $1200, even after explaining that this is on them for breaking and replacing that trim piece, in the first place. (during the camera install)
View attachment 890281
Horroble; hope they make it right for you! Love the sticker btw.

• Love
Reactions: dbldwn02
I have a permanent “MCU_w097 Driving visualization temporarily degraded” warning (two drives in a row so far). I’m not seeing anything obviously wrong. The MCU1 firmware releases all just feel amazingly untested.
Comparing the release notes for MCU1 FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 to MCU2+ FSD Beta 10.69.3.3:

MCU1 2022.8.10.10 has "The FSD Beta feature can only be removed per this suspension method and it will be unavailable for approximately two weeks." and no entry for "Driving Visualization Improvements."

Maybe the lack of the latter will still let your MCU1 vehicle get FSD Beta? @scarelli have you heard of any MCU1 running into this visualization issue pre-Beta and still getting Beta?

Thanks for sharing some videos:

It looks like the visualization framerate is noticeably slower updating other vehicle positions on average 10 times per second instead of closer to 20 frames per second quickly comparing Dirty Tesla screen capture. The rendered lines seem to be lower resolution with "jaggies" / aliasing artifacts as well as no blue creep wall displayed in this case:

mcu1 fsd visualization.jpg

But it does render quite a bit even on MCU1.

Thanks for sharing some videos:
It looks like the visualization framerate is noticeably slower updating other vehicle positions on average 10 times per second instead of closer to 20 frames per second quickly comparing Dirty Tesla screen capture. The rendered lines seem to be lower resolution with "jaggies" / aliasing artifacts as well as no blue creep wall displayed in this case:
But it does render quite a bit even on MCU1.
Wonder how that render is happening as the Drivers info console/display has its own CPU processing that is separate from the MCU1, afaik.
ie. with MCU2 the drivers display is a '2nd monitor' on the MCU2 ... while on a MCU1 setup the drivers display is another "computer on the network"

Wonder how that render is happening as the Drivers info console/display has its own CPU processing that is separate from the MCU1, afaik.
ie. with MCU2 the drivers display is a '2nd monitor' on the MCU2 ... while on a MCU1 setup the drivers display is another "computer on the network"
The same way it happens with MCU2? The FSD computer sends the visualization information over Ethernet. In MCU2 vehicles the MCU2 computer picks it up and displays it on the IC monitor. In MCU1 vehicles the IC computer picks up that information and displays it. (So MCU1 vehicles are likely more fault tolerant, for example the MCU could be rebooting/down and the IC could still display the visualizations.)

The same way it happens with MCU2? The FSD computer sends the visualization information over Ethernet. In MCU2 vehicles the MCU2 computer picks it up and displays it on the IC monitor. In MCU1 vehicles the IC computer picks up that information and displays it. (So MCU1 vehicles are likely more fault tolerant, for example the MCU could be rebooting/down and the IC could still display the visualizations.)
That is a curious point. I would have guessed it went like this with some intermediate processing on the MCU1 cpu. Why? common code that could be run on MCU2 and MCU1. I was guessing the IC cpu was underpowered or wasn't getting all the same CANbus messages (ala multiple CANbuses {vehicle, chassis, etc} and connections for diff info):
__ FSD cpu --> MCU1 cpu --> IC cpu --> IC monitor
but you think it is going directly from the
__ FSD cpu --> IC cpu --> IC monitor

Is that easy to test since I'm pretty sure on the MCU1 based cars you can reboot the MCU1 independent of the IC cpu. I had a MCU1 Sig P90D X
"Press and hold both scroll wheels and both buttons above the scroll wheels (some people call this “the Four Finger Reset”)"

That is a curious point. I would have guessed it went like this with some intermediate processing on the MCU1 cpu. Why? common code that could be run on MCU2 and MCU1.
All three computers run Linux, so you could have common code between MCU2 and IC1.

I'm not positive, but I thought FSD to MCU was via Ethernet not CAN. And the communication between MCU1 and IC1 is Ethernet. So I assumed that the FSD computer was on the same Ethernet. But it is possible that MCU1 processes the FSD Ethernet and passes it out to the IC1 on a separate Ethernet LAN.

Reactions: scottf200