Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The turn indicators are definitely more chaotic in this version. For example, signaling right when approaching a traffic circle even though it needs to take the second ”exit”, or using turn indicators to follow curves on a private road where it could mean I’m about to turn into a parking lot
I had several instances where the car signaled a lane change but did not make it. No other cars were around me so it's not like a slower car sped up or turned off. However, one case where the car got into a turn lane when it needed to go straight. It quickly switched to the correct lane, but had there been other traffic it would have had to turn left. Another case it was in a correct left turn lane and attempted to move out of the lane to a straight lane (disengaged).

Tomorrow will be a long drive on mostly two lane highways. Going to be a big PB test.

I had several instances where the car signaled a lane change but did not make it. No other cars were around me so it's not like a slower car sped up or turned off. However, one case where the car got into a turn lane when it needed to go straight. It quickly switched to the correct lane, but had there been other traffic it would have had to turn left. Another case it was in a correct left turn lane and attempted to move out of the lane to a straight lane (disengaged).

Tomorrow will be a long drive on mostly two lane highways. Going to be a big PB test.
Mine will signal lane changes on occasion but not go for it as well. And it definitely tries to dive into random lanes sometimes, claiming to want to follow route, even though it either doesn’t need to or doing so would actually put it on the wrong route. Usually it only shows the lane change visual and indicates for a split second and also usually doesn’t go for it, but it’s very random

10.10.2 had a lot of these issues; at least in my case.

Signals often not in synch with changes car makes.

Changing from far left to far right and then back to far left at last min to make a left turn.

Ignoring solid lines in intersection it to change lanes and changing lanes in the intersection anyway.

Signaling right and going left.

So on and so forth.

I’ll have to see on 10.11.2 once the cameras are calibrated again.

Reactions: sleepydoc
10.10.2 had a lot of these issues; at least in my case.

Signals often not in synch with changes car makes.

Changing from far left to far right and then back to far left at last min to make a left turn.

Ignoring solid lines in intersection it to change lanes and changing lanes in the intersection anyway.

Signaling right and going left.

So on and so forth.

I’ll have to see on 10.11.2 once the cameras are calibrated again.
What’s the reason for calibrating your cams? Do you just do that after each update? Any better performance after a calibration for you?

Reactions: Ramphex
Unfortunately .... I think the next big rollout would be 10.12 ....
If you want to be proven incorrect just try and predict what Tesla will go and do next.o_O STRANGE how inconsistency and lack of communication are usually the most consistent and telling things about Tesla.:eek: Now to hit install for 10.11.2 and hope it is one of the shortest lived updates (not 10.2 short of course:oops::oops::oops:) since we are SOOOOO overdue for 11.x, although we will probably see 10.12, 10.13, 10.14,..... before.🤣

Last edited:
What’s the reason for calibrating your cams? Do you just do that after each update? Any better performance after a calibration for you?

Some have said it helps. But I have nothing concrete either way. But I do it on builds occasionally anyway.

Specifically in my case this time, my repeater cams were just replaced and the new ones don’t have the turn signal glare issue of the originals and honestly the picture is just sharper and more vibrant compared to the cameras that came on the car new. Even the backup cam looks like crap now in comparison.

The turn indicators are definitely more chaotic in this version. For example, signaling right when approaching a traffic circle even though it needs to take the second ”exit”[….]
+1 needing some higher level turn planning support for roundabouts. Mapping software understands they’re a special case, but it seems the real time route planner is trying to treat them as just an undifferentiated set of curves and intersections.

STRANGE how inconsistency and lack of communication are usually the most consistent and telling things about Tesla.
Yes, Tesla has foregone the traditional corporate forms of communication like advertisements and press offices. How’s that working for them? Just try ordering a new Tesla and see how many months you’ll have to wait. And ask yourself — how much do you really know about what the senior executives at Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota, and the other car companies are trying to accomplish over the next few years? Elon’s tweets represent his aspirations and strategic vision. If he could get his company to deliver (e.g.) FSD on the timelines he’s tweeted, he would.

Note that there are at least three audiences for his tweets: Tesla workers, current/potential Tesla investors, and current/potential Tesla customers.

To motivate workers and get them to work with a sense of urgency, there’s nothing like articulating aggressive timelines. Recent news articles quote Elon as saying that when he tells his subordinates to do something, he expect them to (1) tell him why he’s wrong, (2) execute his instructions, or (3) leave the company. There’s probably a lot of (1) going on with respect to timelines, and will be moving forward.

To current/potential Tesla investors, Elon’s tweets are a non-traditional form of communication. He’s fighting with the Securities and Exchange Commission to preserve his ability to communicate his current aspirations and vision, without having to temper his public pronouncements with middle-of-the-road estimates on what’s actually feasible. But sophisticated investors can balance his visionary tweets with publicly available interviews with automotive subject matter experts like Sandy Munro to get a pretty good picture of how Elon’s vision is actually being executed by everyone else at Tesla. People like Sandy tear down Tesla products and really understand what they’re seeing, and can ask excellent probing questions in their interviews with Elon. I’d rather watch an Elon interview with Sandy than with someone who’s only earned a journalism degree and who doesn’t deeply understand the engineering and technology.

For current/potential customers, Tesla has an amazingly rich API that third party sites like TeslaFi can use to get a pretty good picture of what’s actually happening across the fleet. Tesla software release notes have actual technical information (e.g. use of transformer networks). There is no shortage of (e.g.) YouTube videos of Tesla products in action, so a potential customer can get a good idea of what to expect and what to look out for.

Bottom line - relative to traditional car companies you’re going to have to work harder to get an understanding of what Tesla is doing and will do in the future because they don’t do the normal corporate communication things, but balancing that is the existence of plenty of primary source material available to support third party analysis.

In Teslafi's stats, all but ~10 existing FSD Beta cars are either already updated to 10.11.2 or are pending. I imagine that means virtually all the existing testers will be on it very shortly. I got updated to 2022.12.1 the other day, so I'd guess (but I have about zero confidence in my guesses anymore!) if there's any new testers to be added in the US at all, they will be added in FSD Beta 10.12.x on the 2022.12.x (or later) branch.

Reactions: Ramphex and bizi
Just got 10.11.2 yesterday and it can finally do a zero disengagement drive on my puny 1.1 miles commute again, without aiming for the curb like every time it does in 10.10.2. Still too close though. Also this is the first version I felt overall improvement than previous one in its first drive, it usually comes out a few days later, like having a break-in period. Hopefully a good sign.

The only degeneration I can say is the longer slowdown due to the misplaced roadside trashcans at a curve, thanks to the “superior” vision only system.

Took 10.11.2 out for my first spin this morning and was pleasantly surprised - for me at least, it was a noticeable improvement from 10.2! Much smoother turns, way less phantom braking (and the PB that was present wasn't as sudden/hard), and it even managed to successfully & safely go around a stopped service vehicle (not the first time FSD Beta has attempted this for me, but it's the first time I didn't have to intervene). It wasn't perfect, of course - turn signals were still erratic, unprotected left/right turns were still hit or miss, and for some reason it wanted to blow by a left turn on the nav route - but again, on the whole it was really nice, and I'm really glad to see noticeable progress in this version!

YMMV of course, but for what it's worth, anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that map data in my area is quite poor. This latest update supposedly allows a greater reliance on vision vs. maps, so that may be why I'm seeing such improvement. If so, that's a good sign that they're making headway with vision. Looking forward testing it out some more!

My first experience with 10.11.2 was this morning on a regular route I do every day, and often twice or more per day, so I had a good idea of what I was looking for in terms of improvement.

The car still wants to be in the left lane and "out of the rightmost lane" as much as ever and though I do not think it is a bug, I don't like it and it is not beneficial on this particular route. But I do notice smoother stops and less charging toward red lights then braking hard at the stop - definitely better. The biggest improvement was the near elimination of phantom braking on parts of the road that have lots of squiggly tar patches, which was previously very bad. A little smoother and more natural overall, so I would say that this release is a definite improvement for the routes I drive, but I have only had it since last night so more testing in other situations is still needed.

Wow, biggest setback in a while. Guess not a surprise, given the apparent full rewrite of some aspects of perception.

Can’t turn, stop, etc.

Garbage. No wonder they waited on a wider release - prior iterations must have been something to behold.

Looks like we are still a few years away. No surprises there of course.

Single stack would be a good start, so it stops trying to pile into the barrier at the southbound entrance to I-15 at the end of CA-56. (Haven’t tested with the new version yet, but it will probably panic and try to drive into the wall like it normally does there - need to actually pay closer attention and see whether it is using FSD here - I think it is not.)

1E069E95-C6C7-4985-A624-1B51EE9F6E5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, biggest setback in a while. Guess not a surprise, given the apparent full rewrite of some aspects of perception.

Can’t turn, stop, etc.

Garbage. No wonder they waited on a wider release - prior iterations must have been something to behold.

Looks like we are still a few years away. No surprises there of course.

Single stack would be a good start, so it stops trying to pile into the barrier at the southbound entrance to I-15 at the end of CA-56. (Haven’t tested with the new version yet, but it will probably panic and try to drive into the wall like it normally does there - need to actually pay closer attention and see whether it is using FSD here - I think it is not.)

View attachment 793236
Geez dude...That's too bad you had a bad experience, but calling it garbage with a period is a bit extreme, no? I personally had a wonderful drive on 11.2 this morning (which you found funny, I suppose?) Everybody has different experiences, which is admittedly weird (and I'm not taking away from your poor experience either), but Tesla's made real progress since this first rolled out. Is that progress slower than I'd like? Yes. Did it suck really hard when it first came out? Absolutely. Do they have a long ways to go? Oh my, yes. But I'd hardly call it garbage.