Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one time FSD was running 3+ months behind the latest update.
Now, FSD (36.x) is only 4 weeks behind the latest non-FSD update (40,.x).
Wait 4 weeks and you get FSD and the new features. The gap is tightening.
I wish that were true. My M Y last update was in September 25th. Before the FSD beta button, I averaged 10 days between updates. FSD-beta seems to be the main focus. TeslaFi is showing slow rollout to non beta testers as well.

Man, I thought I was old. ;)

I started out with Basic on a TRS80 back in the early '80's.

Ended up really getting into Mac's in the mid '80's, so I had to learn Pascal, as all of the OS documentation was in Pascal for the Mac back then. Transitioned to C and C++ in the '90's, but only as a hobby. Started out with Dave Mark's "Learn C on the Macintosh" then on to his other book "Learn C++ on the Macintosh", and of course, backed this up with Kernigan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language," as well as other really nerdy reference books. ;)
My first intro to computers was in Engineering 1 in college and Basic was required followed by Fortran. Never really used it, however, except on school projects. Later I bought a TRS 80 Model 1 complete with 4 floppy drives. That was heaven compared to the cassette recorder for programs. When I upgraded to a Model 4 with a graphics card, I wrote my first real science program that drew a 3D map of a underwater cave and presented the project at a NSS CDS convention. My big software was a full chemical company operating system to include order entry, raw material ordering, batch formulation, shipping invoicing and inventory control. The code was close to 10,000 lines and took me nearly a year to do it all. It was a side project I did to make my job running the plant easier. I wrote that in SQL I did hire a young lady who was studying computer programming in college to help me with some of the more difficult parts of the coding as I was not formally trained in SQL.
Flying? I never soloed. I did fly a Piper Lance from Turks and Caicos Islands to FL on VFR but got lost and missed my target. The pilot woke up and corrected the error with landing in Palm Beach rather than Ft Lauderdale. He was napping when I was at the stick.

I will look for your brake lights next time I test. I noticed them before on my last test but can't say I saw what you observed.

Since you are in Utah, why can't you get Tesla to put some more V3 in SE Utah. I want to revisit Bryce Canyon again and then over to Canyonlands and on to Moab but the distance is a bit far for even my MS range. Still playing with A better route planner but haven't found a good route to make the trek going east. Best Western has a L2 charger at Bryce so I could get to 100% when staying there.

Reactions: jebinc
For a while, guys were reporting that they were getting the beta the evening/morning after they hit a 99 score, but I don't know if that's still the case.
My MY is at 99 and still hasn't gotten the first invite to beta. I got it on the M S when they announced 99. Not everyone got it and I see many with 100 score still haven't been invited. The roll out is a mystery.

Reactions: K5TRX
I did fly a Piper Lance from Turks and Caicos Islands to FL on VFR but got lost and missed my target.
I flew a Lance for a guy in Salt Lake a few times, then flew the Lance's brother the Piper Saratoga for an air ambulance outfit out of south eastern Utah (the appropriately named "Blanding, Utah").

I love the Lance and Saratoga so much that if I could ever afford my own aircraft, it would be a turbo Saratoga. Just such a fun plane!

Sure, flying Boeing equipment is fun and beats the heck out of actually working for a living, but I really, really miss flying the small stuff.

I will look for your brake lights next time I test. I noticed them before on my last test but can't say I saw what you observed.
Appreciate that. At this point, I'm nearly convinced that they are using some sort of tail light recognition for some things, but would need to have it backed up by other guys to be sure.

Since you are in Utah, why can't you get Tesla to put some more V3 in SE Utah. I want to revisit Bryce Canyon again and then over to Canyonlands and on to Moab but the distance is a bit far for even my MS range. Still playing with A better route planner but haven't found a good route to make the trek going east. Best Western has a L2 charger at Bryce so I could get to 100% when staying there.
I think Elon has put me on "ignore" on Twitter by now! ;)

The drive you're talking about is one of the most beautiful in the US, but I might be a bit opinionated on that.

There is a supercharger in Cedar City (assuming you'd be driving west to east) now, but even so, it might be stretching it a bit.

An alternative route (and still very scenic) would be St. George (my hometown) to Page, AZ then over to Blanding, UT then up through Monticello to Moab. The supercharger at Blanding would make it possible to do a few out-and-back trips through the (very) scenic drives around south eastern Utah. Same with Moab.

This time of year is perfect for this drive... winter in the desert is truly beautiful.

Reactions: jebinc

Ended up really getting into Mac's in the mid '80's, so I had to learn Pascal, as all of the OS documentation was in Pascal for the Mac back then. Transitioned to C and C++ in the '90's, but only as a hobby. Started out with Dave Mark's "Learn C on the Macintosh" then on to his other book "Learn C++ on the Macintosh", and of course, backed this up with Kernigan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language," as well as other really nerdy reference books. ;)

But it turns out I was much better at flying airplanes than I was at writing computer programs; coding has always been just a hobby for me.

AI/NN stuff is fascinating, but I just don't have a big enough brain pan to ever be able to get into it in any meaningful way.

Back on topic...

After noticing some pretty good progress in 10.4 with smoothness of deceleration and a few other things, I'm also now experiencing the other problems guys have been reporting in 10.4, especially its propensity to run red lights, attempts to go around traffic stopped at stop signs or traffic signals, phantom FCW's, etc.

I've read a few posts about guys wondering if FSD takes the preceding car's tail lights into its decision making process. Next time you take FSD for a test spin, try this... every time the car in front of you shows brake lights, take note of if your car immediately applies some amount of deceleration, even if the preceding car shows no real deceleration.

Where I'm at (we have a lot of "snow birds") this condition happens a lot... the preceding car will show brake lights, with no to only very slight deceleration. Yet every time, my car will immediately start to slow as soon as the brake lights on the preceding car appear. The preceding car needs to be "fairly close" (which is admittedly subjective) for this to happen... if the preceding car is 1/2 mile ahead, it won't do it.

Maybe it's only a coincidence, which is why I'd like to hear other people's experiences with this.

But it turns out I was much better at flying airplanes than I was at writing computer programs; coding has always been just a hobby for me.

AI/NN stuff is fascinating, but I just don't have a big enough brain pan to ever be able to get into it in any meaningful way.

Back on topic...

After noticing some pretty good progress in 10.4 with smoothness of deceleration and a few other things, I'm also now experiencing the other problems guys have been reporting in 10.4, especially its propensity to run red lights, attempts to go around traffic stopped at stop signs or traffic signals, phantom FCW's, etc.

I've read a few posts about guys wondering if FSD takes the preceding car's tail lights into its decision making process. Next time you take FSD for a test spin, try this... every time the car in front of you shows brake lights, take note of if your car immediately applies some amount of deceleration, even if the preceding car shows no real deceleration.

Where I'm at (we have a lot of "snow birds") this condition happens a lot... the preceding car will show brake lights, with no to only very slight deceleration. Yet every time, my car will immediately start to slow as soon as the brake lights on the preceding car appear. The preceding car needs to be "fairly close" (which is admittedly subjective) for this to happen... if the preceding car is 1/2 mile ahead, it won't do it.

Maybe it's only a coincidence, which is why I'd like to hear other people's experiences with this.

10.5 needs to be some big improvements or I will be really disappointed. I'm really tired of the erratic steering wheel movements and hesitations in crossing intersections or making turns. Maybe that will be v11. is that 12 weeks away?

I don't understand why Tesla is promising score 98 in the program when veteran beta testers are complaining most of their problems haven't been fixed yet. Do the small number of programmers need more data? Do they need more of the same reports. Just more testers that will be disappointed in the current state of the art on FSD. Elon said 10.3 will blow our minds. It did that. It amazed me how bad it was and how far we really are from the skilled public release so people can depend on it the same as they do the brake pedal.

10.5 needs to be some big improvements or I will be really disappointed. I'm really tired of the erratic steering wheel movements and hesitations in crossing intersections or making turns. Maybe that will be v11. is that 12 weeks away?

I don't understand why Tesla is promising score 98 in the program when veteran beta testers are complaining most of their problems haven't been fixed yet. Do the small number of programmers need more data? Do they need more of the same reports.....
I think you need to be fully prepared to be "really disappointed". We are over a year in the Beta and on version 10.4. Logic, history and practicality dictate that any 0.1 changes in a software version will be mostly nuance.

Also don't think adding more users will help Tesla data much. It may be more about Musk feeling pressure to deliver City Driving. Since we now have an accident that is reported to NTHSA Tesla may decide to slow this. Simple statistical analyses would suggest that adding more people (especially with lower Safety Scores) will inevitably lead to more accidents. Unfortunately accidents testing a Beta using the general public on public roads will lead to TONS of hyperbole scrutiny and possible regulations.

So I was in the 98 and waiting club these last 30 days.
The wife and I had a 250 mile (each way) trip this past weekend.
Drove the first 150 miles almost entirely on AP while on the highway. Saw my score went to up 99. Great.
Finished the drive mostly on AP but back roads. Score went down to 95. Not so great.
Woke up the next morning with the beta waiting. Surprise! (2021 M3P w/ purchased FSD, no e-mail received)
First impressions are mixed.
It's clearly the framework for what will be a great product.
But as-is... it hugs the center line in a borderline dangerous way, has overly aggressive accel/decel, makes constant and small digital feeling steering adjustments, and lacks overall smoothness.
That said I'm really looking forward to 10.5 and some more seat time.
Keep the faith 98's!

Since we now have an accident that is reported to NTHSA Tesla may decide to slow this.
By now they will know exactly what happened. They will probably make a change by completely disengaging and disabling lane departure correction in case of the driver correcting FSD wheel action.

If they make any change because of that accident we'll know - they will file a NHTSA report.

Reactions: edseloh and Thp3