Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen FSDb use cracks in the asphalt in the middle of an unmarked road to represent a double yellow line in the visualization. Very reproducible on a particularly cracked road in my neighborhood.

I have the opposite problem. For smaller / neighborhood two lane two way roads around here, it's common to not paint any middle stripe, and the black tar line running down the middle is the line, which it should be looking for and visualizing like a stripe. FSDb is only figuring this out like half the time, the rest of the time it acts like it's on some kind of unmarked one way road and tries to ride the middle.

I have the opposite problem. For smaller / neighborhood two lane two way roads around here, it's common to not paint any middle stripe, and the black tar line running down the middle is the line, which it should be looking for and visualizing like a stripe. FSDb is only figuring this out like half the time, the rest of the time it acts like it's on some kind of unmarked one way road and tries to ride the middle.

Latest version is much better about not hogging the center. It was really bad for all previous versions all the way back to 10.2 (first version I was invited to). My car will sometimes still sometimes cross the centerline, but it is way better than before, where the left wheels were permanently past the middle.

often, I don't understand comments like this. If it has happened "many times" to you and you think it is "very dangerous" then why do you still do it?
What don't you understand about it? And why do I still do what? Use FSD? Because I like it and find value in it. These are not mutually exclusive and the viewpoints are not inconsistent.

FSD stopping with no warning whatsoever is dangerous. Not sure that's arguable, unless one is saying that staying in FSD mode would have been even more dangerous, though it doesn't seem to be the case in my experience.

As to your original point, "many times" can still be a negligible percent of the time compared to overall time spent in FSD/miles driven.

• Disagree
Reactions: nvx1977
generally a big improvement in driving on easy-to-drive roads.

my observation: turning off a 55mph two lane road onto a side street the blinker is way too late.

it would be super useful to be able to "teach" which roads Navigation should take. Perhaps have a route you drive be copied so navigation takes the route you showed it. As it is Navigation is perfectly willing to fight rush hour traffic with two unprotected lefts, when going two blocks further (a step back) and the car would do two rights.

FSD stopping with no warning whatsoever is dangerous. Not sure that's arguable, unless one is saying that staying in FSD mode would have been even more dangerous, though it doesn't seem to be the case in my experience.

It doesn't stop "with no warning whatsoever." The car is blaring the critical alert sound, and the screen shows the red wheel.

Every one of us FSDb testers accepted a warning via the center screen that stated "it may do the wrong thing at the worst time." That covers situations when FSDb has gotten itself in a state where it cannot continue operating and suddenly disconnects with the red wheel warnings.

If you want to keep pushing that this particular scenario is very dangerous, then I'd say FSDb in any situation is dangerous, again because "it may do the wrong thing at the worst time." I don't really see why there's a distinction for FSD suddenly disengaging.

Either way, if you're paying attention and treating FSDb operation with caution, a sudden disengagement is quite easy to recover from. "you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent." So if you're doing this as Tesla instructs, then recovering from a sudden disengagement means just tapping the accelerator to maintain speed, something we all likely do very frequently while FSDb is in typical operation.

FSDb is as dangerous as YOU make it. You are still the driver, and you control what the car does.

On a 2000 mile round trip and had to stop using FSD within first 30 mins. Annoyed the *sugar* out of my passenger trying to randomly turn left and right on a straight road where GPS was clearly indicating to go straight 🤣🤣

TACC it is from here on

why don't you turn off auto lane change? I'm assuming when talking about a 2000-mi trip, we're dealing with mostly highways?

why don't you turn off auto lane change? I'm assuming when talking about a 2000-mi trip, we're dealing with mostly highways?
Mixture. And the issue is NOT changing lanes. It legit trying to turn into different side roads from the main road while the GPS is indicating to go straight.

I need to figure out how to record some of this nonsense without holding the phone to record and the car yelling at me for it.

It doesn't stop "with no warning whatsoever." The car is blaring the critical alert sound, and the screen shows the red wheel.

At least 2 posters here claimed they've had FSD stop without any of that-- it just turned off without notification.

I've never seen it do that, but others claim they have.

I have seen OTHER makers ADAS systems do that though (Toyota/Lexus and Hyundai/Kia to name two--- where the first would turn off TACC if you went under like 30 or 35 mph without notice... and the second would turn off lane-keep without any notice except a blue line on the instrument panel turning off if there was a significant curve)

Reactions: sleepydoc
At least 2 posters here claimed they've had FSD stop without any of that-- it just turned off without notification.

There are situations where the wheel torque required to disengage the system becomes very light. I imagine those posters may have accidentally torqued the wheel too hard, or lightly tapped the brakes, and disengaged FSD themselves without realizing it.

Mixture. And the issue is NOT changing lanes. It legit trying to turn into different side roads from the main road while the GPS is indicating to go straight.

I need to figure out how to record some of this nonsense without holding the phone to record and the car yelling at me for it.
If you’re driving with a passenger, have them hold the phone. Otherwise you can safe a dashcam clip that at least shows the road.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
There are situations where the wheel torque required to disengage the system becomes very light. I imagine those posters may have accidentally torqued the wheel too hard, or lightly tapped the brakes, and disengaged FSD themselves without realizing it.
I’ve had that happen a few times. It’s one of the frustrations with the wheel torque setup and why I tend not to hold the wheel constantly. Having said that, it always chimes to let you know that FSD had been disengaged.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
If you’re driving with a passenger, have them hold the phone. Otherwise you can safe a dashcam clip that at least shows the road.
I want to record the dash and main screen together to show the straight road but the blue line on the dash randomly making 90 degree left and right turns into side road for unknown reason. I’ll try my best on the way back so it’s on the same road. Maybe I’ll give FSD a go today in a different location and see how it acts, or how long before my woman is too annoyed by it 😂😂

I use FSDb driving home from work yesterday, making two stops along the way, using a combination of residential roads, trunk roads and highways (and 3 traffic circles.) FSD behaved beautifully and I had zero interventions on the entire trip. As I got home I realized that zero intervention trips are actually becoming fairly common for me. I remember several months ago people on TMC were making posts asking if anyone had actually had a zero intervention trip because they didn’t believe it could happen.

I compare my experience with some of the posts above where people seem to have trouble going more than a few blocks. The frustrating part is that 69.2.2 seems to be more inconsistent than previous versions. There are more areas that it will sometimes get right and other times fail. I can’t tell if the other posters have universally bad experiences or are just noting the times it fails but it seems like 69.2.2 also has much more variability between cars and/or geographic locations than previous versions did.

I use FSDb driving home from work yesterday, making two stops along the way, using a combination of residential roads, trunk roads and highways (and 3 traffic circles.) FSD behaved beautifully and I had zero interventions on the entire trip. As I got home I realized that zero intervention trips are actually becoming fairly common for me. I remember several months ago people on TMC were making posts asking if anyone had actually had a zero intervention trip because they didn’t believe it could happen.

I compare my experience with some of the posts above where people seem to have trouble going more than a few blocks. The frustrating part is that 69.2.2 seems to be more inconsistent than previous versions. There are more areas that it will sometimes get right and other times fail. I can’t tell if the other posters have universally bad experiences or are just noting the times it fails but it seems like 69.2.2 also has much more variability between cars and/or geographic locations than previous versions did.
Same here.

Also it took me a while to trust FSDb in certain situations. I test out new complex intersections only when there's light traffic. Once I get an idea of the behavior of FSDb in low traffic, then I can try the same intersection with normal and high traffic volumes.

Camera calibration, lighting conditions, traffic levels and the quality of the map data all contribute to creating widely varying user experiences with FSDb. Then throw into the mix the driver's propensity to force a disengagement.

I've never seen it do that, but others claim they have.

This reminds me of all of the "sudden unintended acceleration" reports from people who INSIST they pressed the brake and yet the car zoomed forward. If anyone has FSDb just turn off with no notification, get it on a video, or it didn't happen. Extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof. And if that evidence surfaces, I will acknowledge that that is a more dangerous situation, though still manageable if you're paying attention.

Example: there have been times on long highway commute stretches where I was not on AP but somehow I thought I was (I had disengaged but forgot to turn it back on, and later I just assumed AP was on), so my torquing the wheel was actually me trying to anticipate the steering of the system. And then when I got lax for a second and the car started to drift from center, that's when I would realize I wasn't on AP. If you're paying attention at all times as you should be, there should be no real danger.

I’ve had that happen a few times. It’s one of the frustrations with the wheel torque setup and why I tend not to hold the wheel constantly. Having said that, it always chimes to let you know that FSD had been disengaged.

A family member recently got her first Tesla. I was in the passenger seat when she was trying out AP. She disengaged so many times via steering wheel without noticing. Dropping to TACC is now a single chime that can be easily missed. Or someone hears it and doesn't recognize the significance of it, because Teslas do chime a lot in general. If I were to ask her if the car notified her of disengaging AP, she would confidently say no. And she'd be wrong.