Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Building off my data upload post from yesterday, the amount uploaded is surprisingly inconsistent given the length of the drive or the number of disengagements.

Yesterday, my Model 3 uploaded 2.699 GB after a 4 mile, 16 minute drive with one tap of the report button after one disengagement.

Today, I did a total of 24 miles over 1 hour and 12 minutes, with at least two taps of the report button and many many disengagements. And... 2.3 GB upload.

View attachment 858274

I figured the downtown disengagement data would be a lot larger than a quick trip in the suburbs, but maybe not?
Have you considered the possibility that the car might be tasked to capture data is specific situations independently of you pushing the report button? ULTs, or roundabouts, for example, or anything that the FSD team needs data, from both good and bad results.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Have you considered the possibility that the car might be tasked to capture data is specific situations independently of you pushing the report button? ULTs, or roundabouts, for example, or anything that the FSD team needs data, from both good and bad results.

Definitely. It's possible it's geolocated as well. Tesla might have plenty of FSDb drivers in downtown DC, but not nearly as many in my little Maryland suburb.

good point. Tesla definitely has triggers that cause the car to send snapshot data on its own when certain criteria are met. These can be lumped into the same upload batch as user-submitted snapshots.

Figured out why the beta creeps slowly and tries to duck behind parked cars on a very narrow 1-way street - I keep traveling down that road when the shadow from the left falls precisely down the middle of the road and the beta misinterprets it as a yellow divider (as seen on the visualization). I guess 10.69 really hates finding itself on the “wrong” side of the road :D

Looks something like this, but this street view photo was taken when the sun is in a different position and most of the road is actually in the shade:
8C9287E5-D640-41A2-B5BA-A227205351BB.jpeg

Figured out why the beta creeps slowly and tries to duck behind parked cars on a very narrow 1-way street - I keep traveling down that road when the shadow from the left falls precisely down the middle of the road and the beta misinterprets it as a yellow divider (as seen on the visualization). I guess 10.69 really hates finding itself on the “wrong” side of the road :D

Looks something like this, but this street view photo was taken when the sun is in a different position and most of the road is actually in the shade:
View attachment 858346
yeah, if you look at the shadow (or the light shining through) it looks like a dashed line!

yeah, if you look at the shadow (or the light shining through) it looks like a dashed line!
Back in early NOA days I reported a similar issue where the car was aggressively centering itself between a curb and a dotted shadow, too close to the curb (50mph road). Pretty amusing that 3 years later with all the data that the cars gather, we still get the false positives :)

I have been really enjoying the latest release and it sure is nice to see such progress over the last year.

I have had several drives over 30 miles from Santa Cruz to Mountain View that were smooth enough that there was no need to intervene with the steering at all. I am regularly intervening with the speed however to either raise or lower it. There is almost never a dangerous situation, the main frustration I have is slow decision-making and timid behavior.

High points:
Smoothness is increased both in speed and steering by FSDb, this inspires confidence.
Lane keeping on one lane and narrow 2 lane roads is much better, especially around blind corners
Visualizations of animals get better and better, at least 5 out of 6 deer I have seen on the road were rendered on the display and avoided.
Turkeys and small dogs are about 50-60% recognized. It really depends on size and background.
Phantom braking is less abrupt, and lessened overall
Parking lot navigation is now a thing, and seems ok 3/4 times. Will need some NN data about shopping cart driver behaviors lol. VRU in parking lots like to wander out into traffic more than average.

Low points
Blinkers and signals - This is just terrible. On my narrow 2 lane and 1.5 lane unmarked road the car probably signals with blinkers unnecessarily 9 out of 10 times when passing driveways, trees, wide spots. When merging onto a freeway, or taking a obviously posted fork in the road, it almost never signals. This is clearly a regression as it used to signal sometimes when merging and forking.
Speed control - I get that slower is better than faster but 38-40 regularly on a highway like 17 is dangerous to the flow of traffic. It seems too timid about g-force on dry pavement
Speed bumps seem less often recognized
Driver Monitoring needs aggressive input of long duration. Once you really twist the wheel constantly it backs off but my habits of using scroll wheels are out since they are ignored sometimes. It takes enough force to satisfy the monitoring that my accidental disengagement have gone way up to a few every drive. Its one of my lease favorite parts.
Speed the car slows down when the scroll wheel is used - there is a massive delay in this and you cannot rely on the scroll wheel to control your speed, it has a 5-10 second delay. This is probably a good delay for when FSDb misreads a speed limit sign, and suddenly you are pegged at 40mph on the highway where 55 mph is slower than most traffic.
Tried a U-Turn..and failed, haven't had any success with this at all. Sometimes the navigation recognizes the limitation, and others the car just tries it and totally fails.

View attachment 858346
Another example of FSD failing in 10.69.2.2. Until this build FSD did an excellent job of handling this 90 degree turn. Speed limit is 30 and FSD slows down enough to make the turn. Now it heads straight for the cones and if I don't take over will drive on the curb. 4 of the last 5 times it's failed the same way. The only time it was successful it was cloudy.

looks like the shadow of a power line is making FSDb think it's a lane line.
Consistent with my drive where the shadow from a power line appears to cause FSD to try and send my car off the road so pretty dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: thewishmaster
What don't you understand about it? And why do I still do what? Use FSD? Because I like it and find value in it. These are not mutually exclusive and the viewpoints are not inconsistent.

FSD stopping with no warning whatsoever is dangerous. Not sure that's arguable, unless one is saying that staying in FSD mode would have been even more dangerous, though it doesn't seem to be the case in my experience.

As to your original point, "many times" can still be a negligible percent of the time compared to overall time spent in FSD/miles driven.
hmmm, you asked the question what don't I understand. I thought it was fairly obvious. I am not being critical and don't intend to be rude about this. I simply think that if the problem has occurred many times and the thought is that it is "very dangerous" then I suggest stop doing it. Especially if it is uncertain when it is going to happen. I'm not saying FSD is safe or not safe. I'm just saying I am not going to continue doing something I think is dangerous just because I like doing it. :)

Been driving around Midcoast Maine in the latest beta. It fails at almost every intersection: pulling to the right just before a left turn will get you clipped, advancing into crossing traffic will terrify at least one driver triggering who knows what behavior, stopping a car length short of the stopping area will get you rear-ended, signaling late will annoy almost nobody.

In addition to being an impolite and dangerous driver, here is an intersection which failed, both getting off an on rt 1.

Anyway, enough complaining, back to the privilege I paid for of risking my health for the singularity.

Attachments

• B845DF1D-4502-4D3E-B1B7-3C9488A56BD0.jpeg
    B845DF1D-4502-4D3E-B1B7-3C9488A56BD0.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 46
Does anyone have tips on how to get FSDß back?

We recently had our MCU replaced, and from a config point of view, we pretty much got a new car. No profiles, no homelink, no settings. And FSDß was gone. We've been in the program nearly since the start, as soon as they dropped the qualifying safety score from 100 to 98.

The service advisor can't figure it out. I can't figure it out. I clicked the button to request FSDß, and now it says I'm in the queue. I've been in the queue for a couple weeks now. I wrote to the FSD email address they gave us at the start. Silence.

It seems a repaired car ought to come back with the same features it had before. Sigh.

Anyway, if you have any tips on how to get back into the beta, I'd appreciate it!

Does anyone have tips on how to get FSDß back?

We recently had our MCU replaced, and from a config point of view, we pretty much got a new car. No profiles, no homelink, no settings. And FSDß was gone. We've been in the program nearly since the start, as soon as they dropped the qualifying safety score from 100 to 98.

The service advisor can't figure it out. I can't figure it out. I clicked the button to request FSDß, and now it says I'm in the queue. I've been in the queue for a couple weeks now. I wrote to the FSD email address they gave us at the start. Silence.

It seems a repaired car ought to come back with the same features it had before. Sigh.

Anyway, if you have any tips on how to get back into the beta, I'd appreciate it!
I've heard offering your firstborn sometimes works.......you know, a novelty thing. I don't think there are any actual human beings at Tesla since the AIs took over........

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Back in early NOA days I reported a similar issue where the car was aggressively centering itself between a curb and a dotted shadow, too close to the curb (50mph road). Pretty amusing that 3 years later with all the data that the cars gather, we still get the false positives :)
Back when I had FSDß (see post above), I found it would often read a repair in the pavement as a lane line. I'm talking about when they seal a crack with that shiny tar. If the crack or joint is running roughly parallel to the direction of travel, FSD may read it as a lane line and try to follow it. This leads to some odd behaviors when the fake lane line gets close to or even intersects a real lane line.

As humans, we have no such trouble. I can understand how software makes that mistake, but we need to get artificial intelligence closer to genuine intelligence.

Reactions: thewishmaster