Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is @Daniel in SD STILL betting on FSDb??

I thought it'd be painfully obvious that FSDb is only going to improve gradually at best...
To be a really good engineer you have to be an optimist about the ability of engineers to overcome technical obstacles. Plus, overfitting is your friend.

I wouldn't expect a "flawless" drive from FSDb .... or for that matter from 90% of people.
My manual drives were nearly flawless. I even have video proof! Literally zero use of the brake pedal, negotiating about 22 intersections, each direction. I did not even attempt to run any red lights when driving manually (foreshadowing). Tesla makes it easy to drive basically flawlessly.

• Funny
Reactions: cbdream99
My manual drives were nearly flawless. I even have video proof! Literally zero use of the brake pedal, negotiating about 22 intersections, each direction. I did not even attempt to run any red lights when driving manually (foreshadowing). Tesla makes it easy to drive basically flawlessly.
Great ! You are in the 90th percentile, then !!

Infact 99% of drivers use the brake. In each direction. FSDb has never run a redlight with me.

At this point, FSDb is like a student driver in his 3rd class. Kind of knows how to drive but has no finesse or polish. Yes, he also needs the instructor to intervene once in a while. I wonder if there are any videos of driving classes to compare ;)

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Infact 99% of drivers use the brake. In each direction.
This is a good point actually. In order to get 100 on safety score, you can't use your brakes. If you're an OG tester that got in at 100 (like myself) driving without brakes is easy.

Since they've dropped the requirements, many people who've joined in the 80s/90s probably have trouble proactively slowing and staying off the brakes and hence find the discussion of using brakes by FSDb to be strange.

Even as the long truck in front was making a turn to the only lane, FSD couldn't figure out what it was doing and wanted to pass. This is not going to be easy .... but no harm in not trying to pass large vehicles at intersections, whether the truck is trying a wide turn or not.
One FSD behavior that has improved a lot for me is the reduction in attempting to pass stopped cars instead of just waiting until traffic moves. Doesn't happen very often to me now.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
My wife still holds onto the door handle when FSD is enabled for city/streets so I keep FSD to a minimum when she is with me.
My wife hates Elon so she won't get in my car!
It does have 1 advantage, she doesn't know a single thing about Tesla.
I mean literally nothing, which means she has no idea what the Plaid cost.
"So I got that going for me, which is nice"

Last edited:
This is a good point actually. In order to get 100 on safety score, you can't use your brakes. If you're an OG tester that got in at 100 (like myself) driving without brakes is easy.

Since they've dropped the requirements, many people who've joined in the 80s/90s probably have trouble proactively slowing and staying off the brakes and hence find the discussion of using brakes by FSDb to be strange.
Funny enough, when I let my friends drive, they hate the regen and use the brake. I've been asked how to turn it off. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605
What you see in the visualization that was inaccurate?

And what's the purpose of arguing counterfactuals? It didn't hit the other vehicle because the driver disengaged. You can't say it would have hit any more than I can say it wouldn't have.

This video showcases what i mean by you can't take a snapshot of the sanitized, latent and in-accurate (to real world distance) planning arrow and claim "the driver is being too cautious, it would have clearly handled it" (paraphrasing).

Remember in driving, the future is not pre-determined.

One FSD behavior that has improved a lot for me is the reduction in attempting to pass stopped cars instead of just waiting until traffic moves. Doesn't happen very often to me now.

Well today it just tried to overtake a car stopped in front of the red light and with obvious brake lights. It can’t be more wrong than that.

Sorry if I missed this being posted. 6/8 (not 7/8 - on attempt 4 it merged into traffic too slowly and caused driver to slow down).

This was in general medium traffic, not heavy.

Anyway this video shows that in 10.69.3 we will need to see:

1) Much more assertive go decisions.
2) High max crossing speed.
3) Better merge behavior (more assertive).

Otherwise, if Chuck actually has a chance to test 10.69.3 in heavy traffic, we will see quite a high failure rate.

In lighter traffic it is doing better than it used to. There should be an option to turn off using the median though!

🤔 Stay alert when testing FSD Beta! Remember that you're driving...

Can see me uncover the accelerator and cover the brake at 10 seconds (wasn't pressing accelerator of course, but this removes any doubt); car keeps on trucking.

Sent an email to Tesla on this one providing the requested information! Completely expected of course, at this early stage of development.

I’m starting my experiment for my commute using the easiest route with most surface streets. There is a way with all surface streets but can try that later.

Experiment complete. Seems like very little difference vs. near optimal driving, for this route. Tonight ran into a little traffic on the freeway so overall trip was slower. Probably helped efficiency a little but I'd have to review the videos to compare on/off freeway (probably never will). It did jam on the brakes on the freeway once, since it can't see stopped traffic. Standard braking elsewhere too. Surprises me how little impact on efficiency that has.
View attachment 863290

Manual: 157Wh/mi, 311Wh/mi, average 234Wh/mi

FSD Beta 10.69.2.3: 162Wh/mi, 309Wh/mi, 235.5Wh/mi

Next week I might try the route which is all surface streets. As others have mentioned, might expect a larger difference there.

Last edited:
After having a week on 10.69.2.3, it still has crazy lane selection/changing behavior that makes driving on FSDb basically impossible. Can't even leave it active long enough to test practically test it because it misses turns and pisses-off people non-stop. The other day I was sitting at a light in one of two straight lanes and it kept turning on on the turn signal to go left. No indication on the display that it wanted to be in the left turn lane or turn left - just kept activating the left turn signal. After cancelling it a few (maybe 4?) times we started to move. It immediately turned on the right turn signal and try to change lanes IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION, just about hitting the car on my right that had gone around me because they thought I would be turning left.

The really sad thing is that this type of problem wasn't on my top 10 list of areas of improvement - it really wasn't even a problem before (except for a very occasional dive into a right turn lane on two-lane roads). As I said previously, 10.69 is the largest regression I have experienced since originally getting on FSDb at 10.5. Any fears I have had of lack of progress and Autosteer on City Streets never coming to fruition are simply confirmed by this latest build. At this point I have zero confidence that 10.69.3 or 10.70 or 11.X will be able to fix any of this without going back to reliance on map data. Or, if they can improve on this issue, what other problems will be introduced?

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar
Well, 10.69.3 put me in a dicey situation yesterday. It was coming to an intersection (2 lanes each direction), making a right turn. Instead of committing, it hesitated at the last second, slowing and leaving me exposed in the lane as the light turned red. I decided to hit the gas and pull into the intersection, mostly cutting off an oncoming vehicle (angry dude in an older Chrysler Minivan). He ended up speeding up next to me and staring me down. I didn't make eye contact. I was imagining what I would say to a cop if I got pulled. "The Tesla was on autopilot I swear!"

After all the complaints I've had about FSD it actually dawned on me yesterday that all the times I've had to take over is where FSD couldn't get the job done. So I thought, I'm a reasonably good driver and I can negotiate traffic problems when FSD can't why can't the Neural Network learn from ME how to drive?
Why do I have to send data (if they look at it at all) so they can "fix a routine".)? It should learn from me and incorporate it