Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it highly unusual and questionable how some reports are Soooo much different or exaggerated. Not saying you don’t have an issue just odd that like others I have driven probably 10k miles using FSDb on most every drive with few if any major issues. Not perfect of coarse but Far from 100% fail as some like to describe. Have most every street variable near me with exception for roundabouts but most everything else. Always wonder if it’s personal expectation issue or possibly a group setting configuration or other. Again not AlanSubi perfect but dam good for most all logical driving.
Wow, I took a day off and missed all of that. For me it looked consistent with regard to FSD's occasional delayed response to vehicles coming from the side field of view.

I'm new to FSDb, and I've been trying out 10.69.3.1 for the last few days. I've found it to be pretty inconsistent. I've had absolutely horrible drives, and then today I had several nearly perfect ones.

Overall, though, I'm enjoying seeing the car figure situations out (or not), and I'm definitely on guard to steer away from trouble or hit the brakes when needed (which I've had to do a few times already). It makes me pretty nervous how close I come to curbs on some turns, but so far so good. I can definitely envision FSDb continuing to learn quickly, and I'm hopeful V11 will bring more refinement and consistency.
Very not repeatable. Full release to non betas is a disaster waiting to happen. While primitive, even my old Subaru “Eyesight” was 100% repeatable, and therefore reliable for the limited functions it performed.

At 26 secs that crazy van turns blue as a vehicle of interest. At 28 secs FSD starts braking. At 29 secs or so the driver steps on the brake peddle disabling FSD but UI never displayed the van as red. No doubt there's some delay with UI's display of data.

Hindsight is 20-20 but the higher profile van's merging speed and path warrants sooner brake action by the driver. Definitely not 4 secs later.

At 26 secs that crazy van turns blue as a vehicle of interest. At 28 secs FSD starts braking. At 29 secs or so the driver steps on the brake peddle disabling FSD but UI never displayed the van as red. No doubt there's some delay with UI's display of data.

Hindsight is 20-20 but the higher profile van's merging speed and path warrants sooner brake action by the driver. Definitely not 4 secs later.
The driver may have been assuming that FSD was "safer than a human". But if he was assuming that, not sure where or who he got that impression from....no idea at all.

Reactions: jebinc
Here in New England, there's no shortage of edge cases ;) We just call them roads. Not sure if Elon has ever visited the area, but I'm pretty sure he'd change his tune on the readiness of FSDb if he saw the quantity of weird intersections here. The one in question isn't even all that complicated. Seriously, get the AP team here and get our roads into the sims ASAP.
Yes like this ridiculous intersection. in Massachusetts where when you see the light turn red or green you turn 90 degrees, stop and and merge into another road, usually with traffic. This road is also using the same lights. FSD just freaks out
FSD Beta 10.69

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
Very not repeatable. Full release to non betas is a disaster waiting to happen. While primitive, even my old Subaru “Eyesight” was 100% repeatable, and therefore reliable for the limited functions it performed.
I'm not too sure yet. I have several coworkers who have Teslas, many with higher end S's and X's, with FSD purchased. Most don't look at their settings, ever, after the initial set up (like a traditional car), and a few don't even update their software. We'll definitely get some new FSD Beta users out there who are not very good drivers, but I don't think we're suddenly going to find everyone turning it on, especially the ones that don't even know their cars can do that.

I'm not too sure yet. I have several coworkers who have Teslas, many with higher end S's and X's, with FSD purchased. Most don't look at their settings, ever, after the initial set up (like a traditional car), and a few don't even update their software. We'll definitely get some new FSD Beta users out there who are not very good drivers, but I don't think we're suddenly going to find everyone turning it on, especially the ones that don't even know their cars can do that.
FSDb was not a disaster even when the much poorer versions were released to thousands of beta testers. It's now in the hands of hundreds of thousands of drivers and I have yet to see reports of any disasters. So, I'm thinking that the frequent predictions of doom when it goes to the rest of FSD cars may be slightly exaggerated.

1. Since I've been in the beta program, my car has consistently failed to navigate 100% of left and right handed turns from stop signs and traffic lights
This indicates a problem. I've had the FSD beta since June and I can honestly say over several thousand miles of driving that it's never failed a turn from a traffic light or stop sign. It's been unduly hesitant at times; it's made what I'll delicately turn "non-optimal lane selections", but it's always made the turn, literally hundreds of times and typically multiple times per day.

Since your car always fails to make a turn from a stop, there's some sort of problem.

FSDb was not a disaster even when the much poorer versions were released to thousands of beta testers. It's now in the hands of hundreds of thousands of drivers and I have yet to see reports of any disasters. So, I'm thinking that the frequent predictions of doom when it goes to the rest of FSD cars may be slightly exaggerated.
No, not a disaster. It's also progressing far slower than Elon promised and is no where near 'done.' Now, we all know Elon is never accurate with his promises and a charitable description of them would be 'aspirational,' that doesn't change what he says, though. Even now most (all) people still have fairly regular occasions where it fails and they need to intervene. To be sure it's made significant improvements, it just also has a ways to go.

No, not a disaster. It's also progressing far slower than Elon promised and is no where near 'done.' Now, we all know Elon is never accurate with his promises and a charitable description of them would be 'aspirational,' that doesn't change what he says, though. Even now most (all) people still have fairly regular occasions where it fails and they need to intervene. To be sure it's made significant improvements, it just also has a ways to go.
No question that this stuff takes longer than anyone would like. And, the further progress goes, the harder it is to make additional progress. Don't expect any miraculous breakthroughs.

I have a thought experiment for anyone that wants to give it a try. Especially those who've been on Beta for about a year now. Imagine your experience, from the moment you were invited into FSD Beta, if Elon didn't make any public statements at all. He's the man behind the curtain, still running things, but he just never opens his mouth, nor makes any statements at all. Updates still roll out as they did, with release notes as they are.

How would your FSD Beta experience change? Would your expectations be different? Would you be more excited for updates, or more impressed with capabilities? Would you be more disappointed as updates rolled out? Or would your feelings be the same regardless?

I have a thought experiment for anyone that wants to give it a try. Especially those who've been on Beta for about a year now. Imagine your experience, from the moment you were invited into FSD Beta, if Elon didn't make any public statements at all. He's the man behind the curtain, still running things, but he just never opens his mouth, nor makes any statements at all. Updates still roll out as they did, with release notes as they are.

How would your FSD Beta experience change? Would your expectations be different? Would you be more excited for updates, or more impressed with capabilities? Would you be more disappointed as updates rolled out? Or would your feelings be the same regardless?
About the same. FSD wasn't as good when I first got it a year+ ago as I expected nor has it improved as quickly as I thought. But I don't believe Elon's tweets has had much to do with expectations. I never bought into the high expectations of FSD anyway as some have which makes it easier to accept the fairly slow rate of improvement.

I'll put in my results, as a separate reply, so as not to try to lead people in the question.

I personally never followed Elon, nor am I on Twitter. I got into FSD Beta by seeing the "request access" button after an update late last year. I was invited, and read the release notes, excited to try out the software. It was impressive, but seriously rough. I remember vividly my first drive with it, when I attempted a left turn with 3 left turn lanes. The car bailed 1/3 into the intersection, which I then had to take over quickly as there was someone behind me (probably thinking I'm a drunk driver).

I began reading lots of Elon tweets here on TMC, talking about the future of FSD, with promises of capabilities, but I quickly realized that Musk's statements were marketing fluff. I'm used to companies releasing carefully crafted PR statements from a marketing department. Once I read that Tesla disbanded their marketing department, and Musk was really the only source of public comment, I started to see his comments more as propaganda and started to ignore them as much as I could.

To me, over the last year, I've seen FSD Beta improving consistently. And not to leave AP out, I've seen AP improve as well. Phantom braking was pretty bad early on, and it's gotten much better today.

Being on TMC, I can't avoid seeing Elon's tweets, so there is always a little bit of bias - I think disappointment is too harsh a word - when an update comes out. I'm pleased with how it's progressing, and as long as I keep seeing incremental improvements, I'll continue to be pleased. I'm most impressed when I think about where it's come in just 12 months.

To answer my own question: my experience wouldn't change much if Elon didn't make any comments at all.

For the most part true minus a few of infamous crashes.

There's safety disasters and business plan disasters. Time tells all.

I will agree that I am almost certainly overriding the car too aggressively. That said, since I’m fully liable if anything should go wrong and there is only limited amount of time to react, I’m not sure what else is left for me to do with it right now.

Is there value in me continuing to override all of its turning decisions or would it be better to maybe just bow out of the beta and let everyone else manage the risk better?

About the same. FSD wasn't as good when I first got it a year+ ago as I expected nor has it improved as quickly as I thought. But I don't believe Elon's tweets has had much to do with expectations. I never bought into the high expectations of FSD anyway as some have which makes it easier to accept the fairly slow rate of improvement.
$20,000… do I here $25,000? Going once, going …. What a joke the pricing is for what you actually get.