Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is zero nag really the right goal as long as auto pilot is a drive assist system?

Yes as long as the driver is engaged and fully attentive, they should not be nagged; it decreases safety!

When I get a nag I kinda feel I hadn't been as "in tune" with driving as I should be.

Sure, that’s fine. I’m talking about the nags that occur (and are immediately and easily dismissed of course) when I’m driving and paying close attention (even intentionally driving extremely carefully to eliminate nags (which is a safety hazard as it is distracting to do so)!).

Last edited:
Apropos to thread title: One of the my current issues a "glitch" with the speed limit when making a turn. It will either carry on a dramatically higher speed limit (possibly carried over from the previous road) or it will drop to a lower speed limit for a few hundred feet and then get then figure out what the speed limit is. I know there has been discussions about map data being a possible issue here. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the issue is that for that little short stretch it doesn't have speed limit data and it using various rules to come up with an appropriate one (and doesn't always get it right)

I guess somewhat related to this, I've noticed that it sometimes misses speed limit signs (not SUPER frequently, but noticeable enough) and/or is only using outdated map speed limits sometimes. Is there a way to just tell the system it's wrong? Like a voice command "The speedlimit is xx"? I haven't tried this as I just thought of it, but next time I'm somewhere it does this I'll experiment.

I guess somewhat related to this, I've noticed that it sometimes misses speed limit signs (not SUPER frequently, but noticeable enough) and/or is only using outdated map speed limits sometimes. Is there a way to just tell the system it's wrong? Like a voice command "The speedlimit is xx"? I haven't tried this as I just thought of it, but next time I'm somewhere it does this I'll experiment.
There is no way to change the car's speed limit setting. You can adjust the max speed setpoint with the right scroll wheel if need be.

Top 10 enhancements I'd like to see when we get V11. 3 for highway, 7 for city/streets.
What is are your top 10 enhancements?

Highway
  1. Don't pull out in front of a fast moving car when changing lanes
  2. When merging slow down to the existing traffic speed before joining
  3. Don't move to the faster lane when your exit is coming up
City/Streets
  1. At stop signs don't stop until your closer to the intersection, then Stop and creep "smoothly". Then go. Jerky creeping makes me wonder if the car is going and I often disengage when I probably don't have to.
  2. Select lane sooner and of course select the correct lane
  3. Stop hesitating so I don't have to use the accelerator pedal so often
  4. In neighborhoods don't speed up just to slow down when a turn is coming up
  5. Slow down for speed bumps
  6. Don't pass school bus with flashing lights.
  7. Observe hand gestures by police (holy grail!)
Note: Ignore any enhancements for nag improvements :)
And of course continue to improve unprotected left hand turns.

Top 10 enhancements I'd like to see when we get V11. 3 for highway, 7 for city/streets.
What is are your top 10 enhancements?
For city streets I nominate just one pair of things:
Get (much) better on school zones.
Pending actually handling them almost right, actively detect them, warn the driver that the system can't handle school zones properly and that the driver must take full control immediately.

The current behavior is seriously unsafe, and risks grave reputational damage to Tesla.

OK, Nag.

Last month the SO and I took a trip down to Florida and back with the M3, 10.69.3.1 (I think) and all. Yep, nags.

So, let's talk about that.

First off, my general anti-nag bit has been to drive with one hand. That would work for a while, like, say, an hour or two. And then the car would get picky and start complaining. Switch hands. Stop for a while, then start up again.

This wasn't entirely consistent on a day-to-day basis. One day, complaints right off. Another day: Long delay before a complaint.

So, started experimenting. First off: My long-term habit has been to drive with two hands. With the beginning of the nag regime, started driving one-handed. So, went back to two hands. Interesting: On releases before 69.3.1, two hands got one a nag very quickly. On the release used to FL and back.. it didn't. But, eventually, it would get there.

As you all have noted, leaning to one side quiets the nags a bit, but then they come back. So, tried gently moving the steering wheel back and forth. Lean to the right, then lean to the left, and so on. 95% of the time, that worked. Humans are creatures of habit, so if one gets in the habit of doing that back-and-forth motion, eventually one stops thinking about it and the habit takes over.

But what about that 5%? Well, this is why the FSDb is beta software release. Once in a while, it would start nagging, even with the back-and-forth. And on one or two notable drives, it nagged no matter what I did: One hand left, one hand right, back and forth, and, yeah, I was looking out the front. Eventually on two of these (if memory serves) broke lock on the FSDb and inadvertently intervened. Which didn't involve swerving all over the road or anything, but was irritating. Funny bit: After sweating the next XX miles until the next scheduled meal/supercharge, started up the car again - and it didn't do that overly-sensitive bit.

I know that the general opinion around here is that when one gets a software load, that software load is Fixed in Stone and what you get is what you get, and what you get doesn't change until the next software load. I'm the maniac who suspects that Tesla is moving sliders around on a day-by-day or drive-by-drive basis, then collecting data to see how well whatever-it-is-that-they'd-like-to-know-about is working. Given that the whole driver-is-paying-attention algorithm is very much a work in progress over at Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised if this nag vs. no-nag algorithm is something they have a burning desire to improve.. and if that means running rats through the maze (that's us), well, that's what they'll do.

Mind you, there were days on that trip when I could go a couple hundred miles sans beep or boop, but would get the occasional blue flash from the screen when the car began to get irritated.

I haven't been driving around as much since getting back (at least, not in this car), so therefore can't attest to the nags or lack of on the short trips I've been doing. But it does seem that the first few miles of chasing around on FSDb always seems to have a distinct lack of nags. Probably while the algorithm is getting its data integrated.

Fun. Will be interesting to see what the next one or two point releases will be like.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Other issues are leaf piles (it hates them and will slam on the brakes if it sees one) and speed bumps, which it'll use to try and catch air.
Interesting you mention speed bumps. Just a few days ago I was on a road with a succession of four speed bumps. The speed limit was 25, and the car slowed to about 18 for each bump, which felt about right for these particular speed bumps. (Some are more abrupt, so you'd need to slow more to not bang your passengers around. I can't say how it handles those.)

You either don’t live in a flat state with straight roads or are just lucky. I rest my left hand on the yoke all the time and still get nags non stop. Maybe my puny hands don’t provide enough torque.

Also constantly looking at the dash to check for nags before they turn red and whiny is super annoying, considering my speed is set, and I’m paying attention to the road and other drivers outside of the car.
This was almost word for word what I had keyed up. Less colorful, but almost verbatim.

Yes as long as the driver is engaged and fully attentive, they should not be nagged; it decreases safety!

Sure, that’s fine. I’m talking about the nags that occur (and are immediately and easily dismissed of course) when I’m driving and paying close attention (even intentionally driving extremely carefully to eliminate nags (which is a safety hazard as it is distracting to do so)!).
And this is where other car companies are ahead. Eye tracking and/or constant grip on steering wheel. Not having to jerk the wheel or change the volume to keep the autonomous part active

And this is where other car companies are ahead. Eye tracking and/or constant grip on steering wheel. Not having to jerk the wheel or change the volume to keep the autonomous part active
They have a bit of late comer advantage .... where the steering wheels can have touch sensor. Ofcourse Hyundai still uses torque ...

Reactions: Pdubs
Except he wasn't fiddling - he had a camera strapped to his chest that he was ignoring while he was driving.
The point being he was doing something other than fully engaging, possibly. Like it or not, that's "out of bounds" for the beta test. The system erring on the side of caution right now doesn't seem to be a legitimate fault, just conservative.