Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it all the time. Find AP/FSD very useful for last 3 years. Infact find it weird to drive without it !
Pretty much the same.

I would say FSD is on 70% of the time within the city, 95% outside. Where it doesn't do well, I turn it off, but this version will allow me to bring these up to 85%/98%.

At least for me, no cars at this price range (inc. FSD cost) offers this much driver assist the way this combo offers, plus it has more ceiling potential.

Model Y without FSD isn't attractive at all, there are other combo that works better for me.

Last edited:
I think his videos are the best at judging how safe FSD beta is... He's taken fsd beta driving to a "sport" level lol. He's the only driver who disengages only for safety reasons. This is valuable in figuring out the limits of fsd beta. All other drivers will disengage for wrong lane choice / etiquette / reroutes / etc.
Among YouTubers or people in general?

I also only disengage for safety reasons, even when my family is in the car. We renamed the car to Crazy since it does a lot of crazy things (eg jerky turns, phantom braking, changing its mind at the worst times, etc).

I use it all the time. Find AP/FSD very useful for last 3 years. Infact find it weird to drive without it !

Pretty much the same.

I would say FSD is on 70% of the time within the city, 95% outside. Where it doesn't do well, I turn it off, but this version will allow me to bring these up to 85%/98%.

I think we have to be clear about what we're talking about, but I do have questions!

First, I completely understand prior to the beta, what the use cases were, and that many of those are quite useful. I'm not at all talking about NoA/AP etc.; this is not part of FSD so that's not what I'm talking about (it's part of EAP). I use these frequently. On the freeway it does pretty well, although I do sometimes have to apologize to my wife or passengers. Overall, these features are useful. I'm really not talking about outside the city use. There's also a lot of additional value on country roads outside the city (where perhaps AP might be unavailable sometimes). It probably does very well on these types of roads as long as they're not too twisty.

I too use it a lot in these situations, and it's pretty natural to turn it on on the freeway, as long as it's not too busy.

However, that's not what we're talking about here. We're discussing the city streets aspect ONLY of course, since we're talking about FSD Beta. So in that context, I have a lot of questions about it being "weird to drive without it."

1) What sort of city-type roads do you use it on?
2) What sort of traffic do you use it in?
3) Do you use it to turn corners, negotiate complex intersections, etc.?
4) Do you use it with passengers in the car frequently?
5) If you're not using it to turn corners, and you're on surface streets, you really re-engage it all the time for just the straight stretches?
6) If you do use it to turn corners, what do you do when it goes super slowly? Do you use it when other traffic is around? Do people honk at you?
7) What % of the time do you use it in these situations?

I'm just trying to understand. It's very strange to see Whole Mars' use scenario, for example - it doesn't seem useful at all for him (it's extremely slow, doesn't do stop signs well, etc.)! So I wonder if you're talking about that type of scenario, or something a bit different? I definitely can understand that in simpler city situations (for example I have a several mile long straight stretch with a lot of traffic lights, where it could be useful, if it could figure out not to camp next to other cars when driving), it would be a lot more useful.

Just want to know what we're discussing.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Lots of good drives with 1.1:

Perhaps we have dramatically different definitions of "good?" I definitely believe this is one of the better drives he's ever seen, though.

Can't do stop signs! (0:57, 3:00)
Creeps too far, with no need.
Still drives in the middle of the road.
Veering wide on roads where there are turnouts to the right.
Hesitation.
Creeps too far (7:30)
Incorrect lane selection on well-marked roads.
Jerky wheel movements.

He does say the deceleration behavior is really good! I'm looking forward to seeing that.
I don't know why he complained about the excessive throttle input! Hopefully we continue to see that as long as it is not jerky (which it might be).

I'm not sure about his buttery smooth stops in some cases but I'm curious to see how it does with stop signs. It seems inconsistent on this front. (Around 20:50 it jerks to a stop right after a good stop.)

Anyway, definitely looks like an improvement, which is great. But good drives? No, not yet.

Reactions: Cheburashka
We're discussing the city streets aspect ONLY of course, since we're talking about FSD Beta. So in that context, I have a lot of questions about it being "weird to drive without it."

5) If you're not using it to turn corners, and you're on surface streets, you really re-engage it all the time for just the straight stretches?
6) If you do use it to turn corners, what do you do when it goes super slowly? Do you use it when other traffic is around? Do people honk at you?

I'm just trying to understand. It's very strange to see Whole Mars' use scenario, for example - it doesn't seem useful at all for him (it's extremely slow, doesn't do stop signs well, etc.)! So I wonder if you're talking about that type of scenario, or something a bit different? I definitely can understand that in simpler city situations (for example I have a several mile long straight stretch with a lot of traffic lights, where it could be useful, if it could figure out not to camp next to other cars when driving), it would be a lot more useful.
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I also fall into the camp of "it's weird to drive without it." While I love driving in general (I enjoyed my pre-pandemic 1 hour commute each way), it's so annoying to manually drive now.

1) I live in a small city in Texas, and I use it on all types of roads—from my neighborhood with lots of parked cars on the side to multi-lane divided arterial roads.
2) All traffic cases that a small (albeit tourist) city has in addition to big city rush hour (I've had to go into the office a few times this year).
3) Mostly, yes. Most corners are perfectly fine. Some are really jerky. The ones that turn onto an arterial road are crap (the acceleration curve is much more extreme, even if the speed limit is 30 mph), but I still let it do it anyway and report it every time. In rare cases, I'll take over for the 5 seconds to do a crazy turn (e.g. heavy traffic around construction with the sun in position to potentially mess up the cameras), and then I'll re-engage immediately after. It often does well with complex intersections. What messes it up the most are left turns where it isn't sure which lane it should go into. There are intersections where it'll almost always go into the wrong direction of traffic and will jerk wildly when it eventually sees there are unexpected cars in the way, or I'll have to take over and get into the correct lane if there aren't any cars around to make it realize its mistake (even when it's clearly driving to the left of a yellow lane marker which in Texas, you should never do).
4) Yes. I got used to Crazy driving after a few weeks, and they had to get used to it as well before being comfortable with it (I only ever drive my family around, so no passengers that aren't already familiar with Crazy). We all make fun of it frequently when it does something crazy, hence the name.
5) I used to do exactly that, but now I'm fine with how it turns. The reason I used to do this was because letting it stay in the lane for me, manage its speed, start and stop, and everything else was enough to let me mentally zone out a bit. Instead of having to actively drive, I could just manage what it's doing. I always drive with my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, so I'm ready to take over at any time. I almost never get the steering wheel nags because I'm always applying torque with one of my hands. I've also never seen the "pay attention" warning ever. There was a point when I was like, I could have just used AP to do this, but then I realized that even in these basic scenarios, there are things FSDb does better than AP when driving on city streets (e.g. better handling of a car turning in front of me, either into or out of my lane).
6) I frequently press the accelerator to encourage Crazy to get going. While I love the Beta, it's difficult for me to understand how some folks have zero disengagement/zero intervention drives. I disengage on rare occasion, but I intervene often. I'm fine with it because it doesn't pull me out of being relaxed on the drive. It's routine at this point—press the accelerator a little when it's creeping forward after a stop sign because it can't see past the metal fence or it doesn't realize it's a four-way stop (there are two intersections within a mile from me like that); take over in the middle of a turn that it usually does well but is screwing up big this time (I just squeeze my hands and maybe work the accelerator, maybe not if I think its speed is fine and it's just the turn that sucked, then immediately re-engage); adjust the speed up if traffic wants to go 5 or 10 mph over the limit (which yes, is an intervention IMO). I've never been honked at while using the beta.
7) Well over 95% of the time. I hesitate to say I legit drive with it 99% of the time, but that's how it feels. But definitely over 95% of the time.

I don't consider myself a Tesla stan nor a hater. When people ask me about it, I tell them, "I love the FSD beta, and it tries to kill me everyday. But what's a little AI uprising every now and then?" Then they laugh. Then I say I'm not joking. It legit does things that would harm me everyday. Last month, after a particularly crazy maneuver, my spouse said something like, "Why don't we just let it kill us already. I'm tired of waiting for it to finish the job." (said in jest, of course)

It took a while to get to this point. When I first got the beta, I felt like a sucker for paying $10k for it. I considered it unusable. But over time, I got used to it and eventually learned to loved it. It trying to kill me no longer fazed me a month in. Taking over for 5 seconds here and there was no big deal. My right leg muscles are rock solid now from always hovering over the pedals, ready to take control. It feels like I had to learn how to use the beta the same way I had to learn to drive. Yes, it's nice... eventually—not out of the gate, though, and probably not for everyone even if they did force themselves to continue using it past a week.

I think we have to be clear about what we're talking about, but I do have questions!

First, I completely understand prior to the beta, what the use cases were, and that many of those are quite useful. I'm not at all talking about NoA/AP etc.; this is not part of FSD so that's not what I'm talking about (it's part of EAP). I use these frequently. On the freeway it does pretty well, although I do sometimes have to apologize to my wife or passengers. Overall, these features are useful. I'm really not talking about outside the city use. There's also a lot of additional value on country roads outside the city (where perhaps AP might be unavailable sometimes). It probably does very well on these types of roads as long as they're not too twisty.
Yup, very useful on highways and rural roads with no turns, no doubt about that.

Perhaps my case doesn't accurately represent other people here - my wife doesn't drive, and we are in our 50s. Even my wife wants FSD Beta to work so badly because some day, she wants to rely on it to carry me to hospitals (😅), and do stuff when I'm not available to drive.

Plus driving long hours is no longer a easy job for me. Not needing to focus all the time on the road makes driving so much more comfy.

Older versions didn't take corners well on rural roads (retains the same speed). The version I have properly slows down on fast corners. There are small yellow signs to slow down, yet the previous versions didn't slow down. This alone turned FSD Beta on rural roads from sort-of-useful into 95% utilization rate. The only time I don't use it is when I don't see clear white lines on the right side, yet there are some steep grade. Don't want to go into the ditch. But as soon as I see white lines, I turn it back on.

Twisty roads don't appear to cause issues for me.
I too use it a lot in these situations, and it's pretty natural to turn it on on the freeway, as long as it's not too busy.

However, that's not what we're talking about here. We're discussing the city streets aspect ONLY of course, since we're talking about FSD Beta. So in that context, I have a lot of questions about it being "weird to drive without it."
I am still including it in rural areas since FSD Beta is what's driving on those situations after all. Long rural roads, but with stop signs and traffic light turns here and there. Current version nicely handles these situations, although corners needs smoothening. Looks like 10.69.1.1 solved this issue.

On bumper-to-bumper traffic highways, it is always on.

But I do agree, FSD Beta doesn't work anywhere near as well within Toronto with busy traffic turns.
Not sure about other cities but Toronto has lots of straight roads. Lots of stop-and-go situations with traffic. I tend to leave FSD on in these situations.
I do not use it when there are complex intersections. This belongs under the 30% situations where I don't currently use FSD Beta.

For simple turns, I tend to leave FSD on, even when I'm within Toronto.
Yes. My wife, all the time. She too has experienced some serious phantom brakes and ugly energetic turns. We both laugh, and report. When we arrive at corners that we know FSD turns ugly, I just press brake, complete the turn manually then double-click. Not a big deal.

But as I mentioned before, we both are hopeful about FSD Beta, especially given where we are in our stage of our lives. We both observed FSD Beta improving, which is a good thing.
If it can complete all turns 100%, yes it would be super nice and neat. But if you have lots of straight lines in your route with lots of traffic, "re-engage it all the time" doesn't seem all that painful. You gain more than you lose. Yes, your mileage may vary here.

Also, 10.69.1.1 seems to be doing better. My re-engage rate should go down. IMO, drives with some "re-engage" is MUCH more useful than not using it at all depending on situations, of course.
Once again, my goal is not to test and see how well FSD Beta works by letting it go that far. If it looks complex, just disengage then re-engage when I'm past that. When no cars are around, I let it go further and see how it handles to learn where FSD Beta lies in its skills.

Didn't get any honking so far.

I understand why you are puzzled.

If you look at FSD Beta as a perfect problem solver, it is still far away, especially on busy complex big-city roads with lots of turns. If your drives always look like this, I would not be satisfied with the current form of FSD.

But in my case, I look at FSD Beta as a jar 2/3 full, about to become 3/4 full. Other than complex situations, I can use it everywhere and this actually represents 90% of my drives. Hence, now I would feel weird driving without FSD on.

Will FSD Beta be good enough to be used as a Robo-taxi by the end of the year? I'll just 😁 on that. But that's ok with me.

Don't check it very often, but Teslafi shows me that my car has just hit an anniversary of sorts!
Admittedly not a great anniversary - it hasn't seen an update for 100 days :rolleyes:
Definitely the longest I've ever gone without an update.
Previous longest was 53 days, but that was also for an FSDb release, 10.11.2.
The 10.12.2 release was 45 days

Won’t be useful until it stops using the bad map data. Speed limits aren’t close on half the rural roads around me (and thats all the roads there are).
Agreed.

Near my house, there is a small bridge over a rail, and for some reason, it completely stops to zero. There used to be a construction there, and we were forced to stop since only one lane was open at a time with manual traffic control. But that's gone now.

I remember vaguely somewhere that people have reported map errors to TomTom and had some success getting their areas updated... Is that true?

This is something FSD should be able to handle easily since there's no stop sign.

Won’t be useful until it stops using the bad map data. Speed limits aren’t close on half the rural roads around me (and thats all the roads there are).
I had some incorrect speed limits near me, and after I reported them to TomTom maps (and TomTom accepted my changes), the next map update on my Model 3 reflected the fixes. I've seen this with a few changes I've submitted and a couple of map data updates now, and it's worked every time.

I also reported to TomTom an issue where it didn't show you could turn left onto a street at an intersection where you actually can, and on my next map data update my car started taking that left where it previously would want to go by the street, make a U-turn, and come back to turn right onto it.

Obviously it'd be better if the car figured out speed limit master data automatically, which should be sort-of "easy" considering it has hundreds of thousands of vehicles observing speed limit sign locations every day, but for now it's a way for you to manually fix your most commonly driven roads (I think).

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Mars is the only one who tries his best to not disengage for whatever reason. AIDRVR also does this, but his videos are rarer, polished, and seem edited (not all drives are shown, whereas Mars will upload all sorts of random drives). If yalls find other people, let me know, lol.

How do you know he uploads all of them? If he causes an accident, I have a hunch he’s not gonna show it.

The fact him hiding the audio of his raw footage (i.e. honks) probably means he has more to hide.

Use it all the time.
Miami. Heavy traffic. Crazy drivers (they don’t know it, but are about to learn that they cannot intimidate a robot).

Also use the accelerator all the time. I don’t know why one wouldn’t. When it’s going slow I give it a nudge.

Obviously it’s not a perfect drive every time. But, importantly, it’s not my drive — I chill out while I supervise FSD, which has to deal with the traffic etc. I’m always interested to see what it’s going to do next and the (very small) chance that it will crash my car keeps things exciting. Definitely more fun to drive with FSD than to watch videos of other people driving. Passenger experience varies.

Twisty countryside roads are generally not a problem. I used it in my Yosemite and Big Sur trips extensively, multiple times a year. Nice to see its improvement in each drive.

In the city protected turns are generally very good. Half of Stop signs are pretty good. It’s slow, but not stuck or stopping. Unprotected turns need extra attention. In most of “not good” cases, pushing accelerator or changing speed limit are helpful tools to make the drive like “normal”. This saves most of the disengagement and engagement, which are cumbersome. New driving patterns can be established during fixed commute, and driving can become easier than ever.

Last edited:
How did your report to TomTom? I didn't spend much time on their website but it wasn't obvious.
You go to TomTom MyDrive, and on the bottom right corner of the map view is a "Report a Map change" button. You might have to close the "accept cookies" bar which initially eclipses it. I think you have to create a free account and log in, but it's pretty painless.