Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you've got a plan - how do you propose to implement it?

I'm not the OP but I would start first by measuring human driven behaviors on fleet vs FSD stack behaviors and then developing technology to lower that gap.

Optimize routing, signalling, speed profiles, etc within an overall outer boundary of "don't crash and obey vehicle code". Bring in location specific semantic tags.

This is a major long term research & development project. I think tesla's now good on the vision side (Karpathy's specialty) but not on the planning side. BTW, the Waymo/Cruise competitors who were sensor heavy bypassed the difficult vision interpretation parts with hardware and have worked on the planner for much longer I think.

Reactions: RabidYak
People can disagree and yell all they want, but it doesn't change the vehicle code, which Tesla is adhering to right now.
Funny how Tesla is sticking to the code on this one, yet allows us all to speed while on AP/FSD. The former is us asking for extra margin of safety, and the latter is Tesla allowing us to break the law while the car drives itself.

I'm not going to disagree with you on what is courteous, and what "makes sense". Telsa is focused on what is legally required right now. Once we have L2 stable and following the law, then we can ask Tesla to work on "courteous" behavior. Or feel free to send an e-mail to them asking them to engage signals 50% sooner (150 feet before the turn), or 100% sooner (200 feet). Or perhaps Elon will combine his neurobiology tech for mind reading with the car and signal when you want it to. 🤣
Not unlike coming to a full stop at stop signs. The law says one thing but humans drive differently.

Funny how Tesla is sticking to the code on this one, yet allows us all to speed while on AP/FSD. The former is us asking for extra margin of safety, and the latter is Tesla allowing us to break the law while the car drives itself.
To be fair, the car doesn't speed if you let it drive. You, the driver, have to intervene and "force" the car to go faster than it was originally intending to go. There is even a setting you can adjust to offset the speed when engaged - but again, you had to adjust that - by default it's set to the speed limit. To a degree, Tesla also allows you, the driver, to override the planner and change lanes manually by using the signal. If your car is in the left lane, and you know a right turn is coming up in a mile (because you've driven it many times), you can hit that turn signal and Beta will change lanes to the right before it was even thinking about doing so. When I say "to a degree", I'm not sure about signaling for a right or left turn before the 100 feet comes up - it's something I'll have to test - what happens when you're in the right lane, and a right turn is coming up in 300 feet, and you engage the right turn signal manually?

No new entrants into the FSD Beta pool, yet, as confirmed by TeslaFi, Teslascope, and my own car.

"Your car software is up to date as of Sep 19 7:17 pm" is one of the saddest phrases in the English language.

I’m sure they are doing waves like they always do. There will probably be another wave in a few hours or tomorrow. But from Elon’s tweet, sounds like an expansion is coming!

Reactions: willow_hiller
I'm not sure about signaling for a right or left turn before the 100 feet comes up - it's something I'll have to test - what happens when you're in the right lane, and a right turn is coming up in 300 feet, and you engage the right turn signal manually?
In at least one instance it leaves the blinker on and says “auto lane change unavailable,” which necessitates cancelling the signal. Probably it works ok sometimes, not sure.

snippage

It almost looked like.. It was trying one of those Texas Unprotected Lefts, in a place where any move straight ahead was a Very Bad Idea.
So, after the 69.2.2 install, looked at the release notes carefully. Pretty sure they haven't changed since 69.2. But then, something caught my eye:

- Enabled creeping for visibility at any intersection where objects might cross ego's path, regardless of presence of traffic controls.

So, got a red light. That counts as a traffic control. Car was very definitely creeping forward; there was no white, "Stop" line on the road, it being long gone with wear and what all. The attempt to get through, straight, with heavy traffic.. Looks like something with this, "enabled creeping" got tripped when it shouldn't have oughta done that.

Tomorrow when I go into work I'm going to make a point of going up that road. Thanks for all the advice on how to contact Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
If you leave the signal on, does FSD Beta eventually reach the 100 foot threshold and make the turn (hopefully the error goes away at that point)?
In the one instance I had, it made the turn, after sitting at a light, and then proceeded to leave the signal on after making the turn. I haven't studied the behavior in detail, so it (hopefully) works correctly most of the time, no idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
Yes, but that essentially contradicts your first sentence!
Oh, I see what you mean. No, they are both saying that the driver can force the car to speed, either by intervening during the drive, or with a setting, but by default the car doesn't want to speed - it wants to follow the speed limit signs posted (or map data if no signs exist).

So I got home and neither of my cars were downloading the update, so I got in mine and hit the “advanced” button like 20 times and lo and behold my car started to downalod the update. And then just a few minutes ago I went into my wife’s car and also hit the “advanced” button like 20 times and it started to download the update after just a minute of me sitting in the car. Lol!

So I got home and neither of my cars were downloading the update, so I got in mine and hit the “advanced” button like 20 times and lo and behold my car started to downalod the update. And then just a few minutes ago I went into my wife’s car and also hit the “advanced” button like 20 times and it started to download the update after just a minute of me sitting in the car. Lol!
Were you going back and forth from advanced to the normal or just banging on advanced?

I noticed a new behavior for my car in a left turn lane. We're all familiar with the car slowing down and staying slow while a car in front turns right, beyond what's usual for human drivers. We typically anticipate that the car ahead will complete the turn, and accelerate assuming they will. The Telsa likes to be super cautious and slow down until the car has made the turn completely (and switched from black to grey) before accelerating.

The new one for me was in a left turn lane. The car in front of me made a U-turn, but didn't do it very smoothly (I think someone turned right on red in cross traffic, forcing my guy to slow down during his U-turn). The Tesla acted the same as the right turn, it slowed way down and nearly stopped until the U-turn guy nearly finished his U-turn before accelerating into the left turn. There wasn't anyone behind me, so I just let it, but reported it. In this case, the car was beyond the angle where the Tesla would have hit it during the turn if the guy had slammed on his brakes. Made the turn awkward. I'm guessing it will be resolved the same time the right turn is adjusted with more "prediction" of the lead car.

I got home and didn’t have the update. I put my finger up my nose then smeared the boogers on the steering wheel and, whoa, I got the update too!

With 2,189 pending installs for 10.69.2.2 on TeslaFi it looks like all current beta participants are getting it now.
That should (hopefully) mean the next step is for those with safety scores over 80 to start getting it 'soon'.

1663632553261.png