Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could a SF Bay Area FSDb driver help me with a question which came up in another thread.

Does an FSDb car with switch to standard AutoPilot (and visualization) on the SF Bay Bridge, or does it use FSDb on the bridge? The road is I-80, and limited access, but I'm not clear on which road features matter in the car deciding if FSDb is available.

Thanks,
SW
Regular AP / nav on autopilot. I’ve seen FSDb pop up a couple times by mistake but it’s not something you can reproduce (afaik).

Today’s drive in contrast to last couple long drives was a head scratcher. When coming out of the freeway, it went into the wrong lane, braked suddenly after realizing the mistake and wanted to change lane. Couple of other times too got into the wrong lane forcing me to take over and change the route…

Not sure what the solution to wrong lane selection is.

The way understand, they try to map the lanes that NN puts out to what they have on the map. That helps them decide which lane to take based on navigation. So, if thre are 3 lane, two turning left and the other going straight -the navigation calls for turning left, why would they select the lane going straight ? Did they get the # of lanes wrong or .. ? And just after a few yards how did they discover the error and wanted to change the lane …

The release for 2022.44.30.5 looks like it has significantly slowed down. Wonder if they've uncovered issues? It's probably too optimistic to think it's because V11.x is ready for broader release right? Hah
There could be uncovered issues, but I haven't seen them. I went 500 miles South and back in the last week and didn't notice anything significant. Then again, I am only a one mouse experiment :)

In my area lane selection is (surprisingly) not the biggest issue I run into (I have more issues with hesitations, speed decisions, and poor pathing choices not related to lane selection). And in the cases where it messes up, if it could read road markings much better there's sufficient information to do the right thing. For instance, it needs to get really good at seeing and understanding the turn lane vs straight lane signs and on-road markings from further out.

HD map!

/s

But really, it's a difficult problem for Tesla's approach, especially when there are a lot of cars blocking the road geometry. I never anticipated lane selection being the most protracted problem...
Sometimes the choice seems simple. Like, when you plan to go straight through an upcoming intersection and a new lane opens up to your left or right. With no other information, chances are that staying in your current lane will be a good choice. If you planned to turn in the direction of the new lane, then getting into that lane would probably result in success.

It doesn't always work this way, but why jump into a new left lane if you plan to go straight? If the car prefers the leftmost straight lane, maybe wait until clearing the intersection before reevaluating which lane to use.

BTW, if an intersection is busy with lane markings covered, there are other clues available. If traffic is moving, the car could look at what the other cars at the head of the lines are doing. The car could look for turn signals. If there's traffic lights, the car could look for arrows or solid indicators. These aren't foolproof, but we humans use clues like these to decide which lane we get in.

It doesn't always work this way, but why jump into a new left lane if you plan to go straight? If the car prefers the leftmost straight lane, maybe wait until clearing the intersection before reevaluating which lane to use.

Yea, it makes very little sense. Perhaps the car perception is erroneously predicting that the current lane is a right-turn-only lane.

This sort of thing didn't happen often prior to 10.69. Prior to 10.69, it wouldn't make so many nonsensical lane changes, but it would be in a left-turn only or rt-only lane and not change out in time.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I had a couple routes that I drive regularly that were always problematic with awful lane choices. They were perfect today when I tried them (first time trying them on .25). A few others that were handled fine before were pisspoor today. Example:

Three lanes:
Left turn lane, center lane, right turn lane. Car is supposed to stay in the center lane to pass through an intersection and continue on its route. FSDb moved to the right turn lane, then quickly moved to the correct center lane. There was no traffic, so it was able to do this somewhat “ok”, but if there was traffic present, this would have been a disengagement for sure.

Unprotected lefts seem pretty dialed. Actually surprised at how well it’s been handling them on .25.

Still dumb blinker use, but not as bad as the prior release. Phantom braking is slightly better, but it was almost nonexistent on 10.69.3.2.

For what it is, I can deal with it until they release a new hardware suite that may solve some of the issues. That’s hard for me to say, because I’m on the two years/60,000 miles car replacement schedule. If something comes out that seems worth waiting for, I might actually keep a car past 60,000miles.

Volvo does have that hawt new EX90 with mad tyte siqqqqq LiDAR on the roof that will solve all the worlds self driving problems…. Order yours now!

Today’s drive in contrast to last couple long drives was a head scratcher. When coming out of the freeway, it went into the wrong lane, braked suddenly after realizing the mistake and wanted to change lane. Couple of other times too got into the wrong lane forcing me to take over and change the route…

Not sure what the solution to wrong lane selection is.

The way understand, they try to map the lanes that NN puts out to what they have on the map. That helps them decide which lane to take based on navigation. So, if thre are 3 lane, two turning left and the other going straight -the navigation calls for turning left, why would they select the lane going straight ? Did they get the # of lanes wrong or .. ? And just after a few yards how did they discover the error and wanted to change the lane …

Yes. Weird stuff. Many times the planner seems myopic and/or delayed. For the prior it's as if its only concerned with the next 3 secs of scenery resulting in insufficient input data to select the correct path. In the latter case, it feels like pre-processing takes excess time and so the planner selects the path too late.

It's never good practice to wait until the last second before entering a left or right turn lane less than 100ft before the intersection while crossing over solid lane lines. But the planner doesn't always follow roadway rules like not changing lanes over solid lines or not changing lanes in the middle of an intersection.

Ever since the Chuck Cook median logic I experience consistent strange left turns into my neighborhood. The turn initiates too late with excess braking and late entry into the left turn lane. The vehicle's right side hangs partially on the line for following vehicles to content with and then steers slightly right before turning left which really upsets following vehicles.

Last edited:
Same, it has poor butt position awareness (lol).
Yesterday going straight across mine used a median. Of course the car was perpendicular since I was going straight and my a$$ was hanging out. Luckily the oncoming traffic was in the far right lane. All I could think was "Does this median make my a$$ look big"? 🤔 🤣

I shouldn't be but I'm still surprised that the very best T-intersections I take are when there is NO stop sign when I approach the crossing road. FSD simply slows down and stops right at the end of the road I am on. Then turns left or right when there is no crossing traffic. Super simple and safe. Compared to many T-intersections where the Stop sign is 20-30 feet before the intersection and it can literally take 10 seconds for FSD to get the car into a position where it can turn left or right. With traffic is behind me I usually have to disengage in these situations.

Still dumb blinker use, but not as bad as the prior release.
Yesterday, it pretty much makes up all the late blinker turn signals for my entire FSDb in months, for a stretch of more than half a mile, it insist on signaling the left turn signal, I am on the left-most lane and it is supposed to turn left. Normally it will signal when it is reaching 500 ft before the turn, but if I cancel it, then it turns right back on. 🤣 🤣

On topic - sorry
I tried TADA 10.69.25 this morning for more than a short drive.
I came away with the same feeling as before. Its technically pretty good, but the majority of my interventions are to avoid being honked at or run into when the car does things that a human would think was stupid.
Todays drive stupidities included
  • coming to a full and complete stop for yield signs, twice
  • waiting turn at a 4-way stop, then droving at 3mph through the junction - got one honk and one finger for that one.
  • creeping round a right hand corner off a busy, fast main road - yep, another honk there
  • signalling to turn left around a left hand corner
The rest of the drive was pretty good, it's just embarrassing to be around for everything else.
I need to find my learner driver placards again and put a dummy in the passenger seat.
On topic - sorry
I tried TADA 10.69.25 this morning for more than a short drive.
I came away with the same feeling as before. Its technically pretty good, but the majority of my interventions are to avoid being honked at or run into when the car does things that a human would think was stupid.
Todays drive stupidities included
  • coming to a full and complete stop for yield signs, twice
  • waiting turn at a 4-way stop, then droving at 3mph through the junction - got one honk and one finger for that one.
  • creeping round a right hand corner off a busy, fast main road - yep, another honk there
  • signalling to turn left around a left hand corner
The rest of the drive was pretty good, it's just embarrassing to be around for everything else.
I need to find my learner driver placards again and put a dummy in the passenger seat.
My reaction is similar. I’ve enjoyed playing with it, but I’ve pretty much intervening before every turn now. If there is anyone around me I don’t want to get honked at. What really bugs me is the hard jerk to the right before it makes a left turn. When I’m in a left turn lane and it does this it scares the bejeezus out of traffic in the thru lane.
It also now fails to follow it’s own on-screen routing on some turns near home that were never a problem before. It turns right about 100’ before the jughandle turn it’s showing on the screen.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I
HD map!

/s

But really, it's a difficult problem for Tesla's approach, especially when there are a lot of cars blocking the road geometry. I never anticipated lane selection being the most protracted problem...
tried to put in an address on navigate and it could NOT find it. I started a thread and asked anyone in my regional area if they could get it and they did.
and it was NOT a new address, been there minimally 5 years or more

Reactions: JeffnReno
I shouldn't be but I'm still surprised that the very best T-intersections I take are when there is NO stop sign when I approach the crossing road. FSD simply slows down and stops right at the end of the road I am on. Then turns left or right when there is no crossing traffic. Super simple and safe. Compared to many T-intersections where the Stop sign is 20-30 feet before the intersection and it can literally take 10 seconds for FSD to get the car into a position where it can turn left or right. With traffic is behind me I usually have to disengage in these situations.
Those 30 ft crawls to the stop sign are painful. As well as braking to stop and dawdle at the entrance of a roundabout when there's no traffic or pedestrians anywhere in sight. They seem to be more than simple s/w bugs - these dot releases aren't the answer. Maybe the team needs to hire an exorcist.