Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't comply with speed limit laws. 🤔
And now NHTSA is forcing a recall over FSD following speed limits:

1676570955340.png

Though it seems to be more about it not fully honoring the drivers speed limit setting, not to avoid speeding altogether.

It does give us an exact count of the number of vehicles with FSD installed: 362,758

Working on resolving the issues that NHTSA thinks are a priority may be part of the reason that FSD Beta V11 has been delayed.

Reactions: BnGrm and tivoboy
So does your gas pedal. Are they recalling cars with those as well? :rolleyes:

The "...or travel through intersections in an unlawful or unpredictable manner..." part makes sense to me from a recall perspective. But not "allowing excess speed". They are overstepping their bounds.

They aren't "disallowing excess speed", clarified in this part:

In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver's adjustment of the vehicle's speed to exceed posted speed limits.

So may be more about things like not getting down to the appropriate speed before passing the new speed limit sign.

Since V11 will likely be the wild step child for a stretch, TSLA might need to update the 10.69 path before a wide V11 release. The big question is whether TSLA was aware of these issues, if they can isolate them, and ultimately train them appropriately without adding more regressions given some of the current NNs are at or near max capacity (saturation).

Reactions: sleepydoc
Not sure if this is a great place to post this, but had a really good experience with FSD late last night (no traffic). It got me home from work (only four miles) without any intervention. It does drive unnaturally at times when making turns, enough so that I'd feel pretty awkward using it with traffic, but my confidence is growing in a lot of areas. It should be interesting how much better it gets with the new hardware -- I really do feel like it just doesn't have enough cameras, sensors, or whatever to handle certain situations well -- not that I know anything about this really :)

Working on resolving the issues that NHTSA thinks are a priority may be part of the reason that FSD Beta V11 has been delayed.
If Tesla has already realized that HW3 cannot achieve anything above L2 and was ever going to play the "we had it working in V11 but regulators shut us down" card, now would be the time. I am not optimistic about how this plays out over the coming weeks. What is the "Software Fix" going to entail?

What is the "Software Fix" going to entail?
Good question. Hard to know. Could be a few things like path failure, misjudging scenarios, software occasionally getting off track/running in the weeds, ... Intermittent issues tend to be the most difficult to isolate. Hopefully the team already has data for these problematic scenarios. Then Dojo will dim city lights trying to figure it all out. Gawd only knows why they didn't fix something as easy as the set speed adjustment long ago.

The annoying things about FSD speed behavior as it is: it doesn’t slow down prior to reaching a speed sign that is a lower speed. It will also consistently think the speed is different than is posted in numerous spots around my city (dip to 20 MPH in a 30 with no visible 20mph sign for instance)

Wild that NHTSA didn’t highlight the fact FSD and HWY AP brake for stop signs on roads that are a completely different elevation than the Hwy or bridge you’re driving on (let alone completely outside of the camera’s visibility as it cannot see through concrete.

The annoying things about FSD speed behavior as it is: it doesn’t slow down prior to reaching a speed sign that is a lower speed. It will also consistently think the speed is different than is posted in numerous spots around my city (dip to 20 MPH in a 30 with no visible 20mph sign for instance)

Wild that NHTSA didn’t highlight the fact FSD and HWY AP brake for stop signs on roads that are a completely different elevation than the Hwy or bridge you’re driving on (let alone completely outside of the camera’s visibility as it cannot see through concrete.
I get on a highway (280), ONE EXIT north of the legacy Tesla HQ and the car won’t go over 55 mph (of course I up it quickly) for 1.5 miles till it sees the 65 mph sign, which had been in place on the highway for the prior FIFTEEN MILES!.

Could be wrong, but I believe the traffic rules and requirements don’t require one to SLOW before the speed limit sign might indicate a slower speed than the zone then are coming from, but that one is ALLOWED to increase to a posted speed as soon as they can see the speed limit sign of a higher speed zone.. Haven’t have to a a driving theory test In oh bout 40 years.

You can go to the NHTSA website and enter safety issues that concern you.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot