Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
there would be 2 possible places to put it - the A pillar and somewhere in the front quarter panel/near or in the headlights. The quarter panel/headlight placement would be useless for half the year in any of the winter states because of road spray. Also likely close to useless in the rain. The A pillar location might work but there's not much lateral real estate there and it needs to cover a lot of the side view. It would also be more susceptible to road spray, bug splats, etc if it's facing too far forward.
Sounds like you’re saying it’s impossible to achieve better than human software/camera view and replace the human driver

Reactions: LSDTester#1
There was a rumor, yet unfulfilled, that HW4 would bring an additional forward-angled repeater camera.
The right most forward facing cameras is a dummy in my HW4. Wonder if there is some grand plan for that slot and the currently inactive Phoenix radar? or whatever they were supposed to be used for was given up on after it was too late to change the design.

The right most forward facing cameras is a dummy in my HW4. Wonder if there is some grand plan for that slot and the currently inactive Phoenix radar? or whatever they were supposed to be used for was given up on after it was too late to change the design.
Yes this is a bit of a mystery - is it an abandoned slot or a future planning slot?

It's likely not for radar because those modules are fairly big compared to a camera module. The radar would probably end up behind the bumper as before (as it is I think in the newest model X that actually has it in place).

A related point is that if they're just not going to put a parking camera down there, the more advanced HD radar (unlike the simple Doppler radar) could possibly provide a lvery ow resolution image of curbs, poles and other objects for parking. More like what the USS used to provide.

A local company in Florida, they are an authorized Tesla powerwall dealer. Not going with Tesla also allowed me to use micro-inverters and get panel level statistics vs the string inverter technology they use.

How do I best use it to get it to select turning lanes appropriately? In one of my videos it tried jumping into a wrong turning lane, in the other it failed to get into the turning lane, stopped in the middle of intersection, and then went straight clickity clacking the turn signals in different directions.
I did the same. Went with two power walls but not Tesla solar. For same reasons.

As I’ve been saying that is a bad regression in 11.4.2.

If you select “minimize lane changes” it seems to get better. Today on a drive FSD insisted on moving to the left lane on a two lane road with equal traffic. After canceling twice, I switched on minimize lane change and it didn’t try again.
I got better sense than waste my time posting about things I don't like.
?

I said repeatedly that the camera placements need work, OTOH I'm always ready to hear a good technical counter argument- I just haven't.
I agree with you and have said so here for years. How hard would it be manufacture a headlight unit with an integrated side-facing camera?

The problem is such a unit would accumulate road grime and be blinded fairly quickly. Adding a headlight wiper/washer adds additional complexity and cost.

I think I still have some residual PTSD from the safety score game. That definitely made driving very….. not enjoyable.
I’m sure all can agree on this - it sucked! Really, it was a con job to collect data from us all for Tesla’s new at the time, insurance service. It always was about them, not you/us. 100%.

I agree with you and have said so here for years. How hard would it be manufacture a headlight unit with an integrated side-facing camera?

The problem is such a unit would accumulate road grime and be blinded fairly quickly. Adding a headlight wiper/washer adds additional complexity and cost.
I never owned a Tesla when I lived up north, but how is the road grime any different for the pillars or the rear camera? Especially in the winter time.

but how is the road grime any different for the pillars or the rear camera? Especially in the winter time.
Indeed it can get dirty, but that's already a well-kmown problem with headlights. Fortunately there are also well-known remedies: a hydrophobic surface that works in conjunction with laminar airflow engineering to address the first-level issue, and extremely well-developed and low-cost designs of washers, which admittedly Tesla hasn't elected to include so far.

Technically, a second problem is the sharing of the lens housing between a camera and the bright headlight output, which could cause surface glare dispersion. The solution to this is to section off the camera portion(s) of the lens from the illumination portion, with an optical barrier that discontinues the surface glare.

A third problem is that any forward-facing component (and I think there should be a forward-facing slice) is the issue of reflective interference from heavy rain or spray being illuminated by the bright headlight close in front.. It would be interesting to conduct experiments on this, and figure out how far in front must be the intersecting angles of iIllumination versus image field-of-view, in order to avoid severe problems in a broad range of weather conditions. Note that spotlight or floodlight security cameras also have this potential issue in heavy rain or fog, but less so because they're stationary. Displacing the camera lens farther from the headlight illumination improves this problem.

Finally, there is the whole design / supply-chain / core-competency issue of having a complex and novel headlight module with integrated cameras, versus a simpler and more traditional headlight module with multiple price-competing sources. This, and the previous paragraph consideration, might lead to the conclusion that the camera could be in the vicinity but not integrated into the headlight itself. One of the arguments for integration was the idea of possible retrofit without additional mounting and wiring holes in the body, but the retrofit consideration seems to be completely off the table at this point.

Last edited:
For those with 11.4.3, does the software screen have an entry for "Full Self-Driving (Beta) Software" version separate from the vehicle software "display" version 11.1? Here's an example from FSD 2023.12.10 to 2023.12.11 ?

img_4351-jpeg.946698

Previously, there would only be one line for "FSD Beta 11.4.2 (2023.7.10 a165af53442e)." I wonder if this means we'll keep getting "earlier" FSD Beta releases (still after pre-Safety-Score group) ahead of Tesla deploying a "stable" version to main vehicle software branch?
I think this is the FSD merged with main branch.

Indeed would be interesting to see if they move some into older FSD with latest main branch and others into latest FSD with old main branch.

Reactions: bhakan and jebinc
Pedantic.

Is it that hard for you to comprehend the difference between not liking something to the point of calling it junk and using something all the time but talking about changes from last version ? I’ll leave out my question about chewing gum and walking at this time.
If you had to rate disliking something from 0-10, with 10 being the most, where would you rank something that would be called Junk.