Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
If you had to rate disliking something from 0-10, with 10 being the most, where would you rank something that would be called Junk.
0. OK
1. Fair
2. Meh
3. Disappointing
4. Useless
5. Bad
6. Maddening
7. Junk
8. Crap
9. Hate
10. Poison

Studiously avoiding hard profanity, which is the easy way out

1. Fair
2. Meh
3. Disappointing
4. Useless
5. Bad
6. Maddening
7. Junk
8. Crap
9. Hate
10. Poison

Studiously avoiding hard profanity, which is the easy way out
That seems more reasonable. (moderator edit) Junk is not synonymous with atrocious piece of garbage. I can see why he gets upset when we call beta Junk, since he can’t differentiate the gradient difference in severity of something being very good, good, mediocre, bad, or very bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Junk is not synonymous with atrocious piece of garbage.
I considered sliding in Garbage that number eight, a notch worse than Junk, in the borderline consideration that Crap is mild profanity.

In that case, Atrocious garbage might be 8.8. That requires a more sophisticated scale with Vernier measurement aids.

... It would still shift the viewpoint farther forward than the driver's head, instead of farther back as with the B pillar. Just as importantly I think, it would provide a far superior view of the oncoming high-speed lane when you're facing another left-turning car in front of you. So I was pretty happy to hear about that but so far it hasn't shown up.

there would be 2 possible places to put it - the A pillar and somewhere in the front quarter panel/near or in the headlights. The quarter panel/headlight placement would be useless for half the year in any of the winter states because of road spray. Also likely close to useless in the rain. The A pillar location might work but there's not much lateral real estate there and it needs to cover a lot of the side view. It would also be more susceptible to road spray, bug splats, etc if it's facing too far forward.
"Side Front Camera" A-pillar-general location/alignment (side mirror) and even farther than a human would lean forward to see around a tough corner.

dssDV4J.jpg

Reactions: heapmaster
Either way it explains the reason he is upset when we call it Junk. Not being able to perceive severity could definitely create a false interpretation of what we are trying to say.
I understand the sublime subtlety of your argument. On the other hand, the subtlety is lost when you pound the same comment incessantly. The joke wears and cannot withstand interminable repetition. That, along with the sheer time-sink of slogging through page after page of Junkiness comments, it's probably why you're getting pushback.

It's like, you can eat one donut and enjoy it, maybe two without a big downside. But if you eat a whole box, for lunch and then again for dinner, it's no fun anymore and you wonder why you ever started.

I triy not to let the gleeful Junk debate bother me, because it's a chance to recapture my youth - it reminds me of Junior High.

I understand the sublime subtlety of your argument. On the other hand, the subtlety is lost when you pound the same comment incessantly. The joke wears and cannot withstand interminable repetition. That, along with the sheer time-sink of slogging through page after page of Junkiness comments, it's probably why you're getting pushback.

It's like, you can eat one donut and enjoy it, maybe two without a big downside. But if you eat a whole box, for lunch and then again for dinner, it's no fun anymore and you wonder why you ever started.

I triy not to let the gleeful Junk debate bother me, because it's a chance to recapture my youth - it reminds me of Junior High.
It’s not a joke though. I truly consider it to be Junk so I’ll call it Junk until my mind is changed. There is no reason for anyone to be upset over that, it’s not like I’m insulting anyone’s mother.

• Funny
Reactions: JHCCAZ and jebinc
I may have missed it in all the zero content chatter (despite my best efforts to reduce with well placed ignores) but has someone already checked if the release notes between 11.4.3 and 11.4.2 are same? I believe they usually are between minor releases and any improvements are not quantified/described.
I read someone confirm that they compared them, and indeed they're identical.

EDIT: from notateslaapp.com:
"The release notes remain the same as the previous (Beta 11.4.2) revision."

But if I got added to your "well placed" ignore list, maybe someone else will forward this :)

Last edited: