Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
This is one of the few cases where the EU regulations make sense. FSD is a work in progress, let them sort it out in the US first and then move on to adapting it to Europe and other places. One step at a time.

No.
In safety matters, waiting till perfection is not a wise strategy.
Safety improvements should be made available when possible.
While it is work in progress, statistics show that FSD already makes driving safer.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
That is not true really - in fact I would take like a once in 1-2 month FSD update (a more substantial update) if I could stay along with the normal, "common" features. That is the case with people that got into beta a few months ago when they made the move to 2023.12.x and then 2023.20.x

The "improvements" (🔥, "magic") are only iterative. Whereas the common features are big (left steering wheel button to use features).
just to point out that FSD has always been many(,many, many) versions behind current, this is nothing new.
In context my car has been 28 days on 11.4.4, but it has been much longer on earlier versions.
It was 62 days on 11.3.3 and ranging from 45(10.8.1)-107(10.12.2) days on some of the others, so 28 days is relatively short.

SUCCESS!! I managed to get off FSD bleeding edge by creating a service center appointment explaining my situation in details. They messaged me back through the app, and within minutes I got the firmware update to 2023.20.8 sent to my car.

Here’s their response in full:

Hello Marc, we are reviewing your request and we have sent out a new firmware that will remove it for now, but it will come back at the next firmware release. To be completely removed from the BETA program, you will need to e-mail [email protected] and inform that that you want to be removed from the program - We will go ahead and close out this appointment - Tesla Service

IMG_8638.jpeg

Can you paraphrase it and also can you enable FSD 11.3.6?
It was essentially “I’ve been in the early FSD beta releases for a while and would like to be taken off the latest beta branches, can you please remove me from the beta and put me back on the main release branches”

I’m still waiting for the update to complete, but it includes FSD version 11.3.6 per the release notes so I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to enable it

IMG_8641.jpeg

....but what IS new is FSD Beta is now available in current releases to new users or any subscribers but precluded from FSD owners.
Agreed, although weirdly they seem to be reverting back to norm for 2023.26.1
What I was intending to highlight is that 11.4.4 isn't anything unusual, realistically the situation with 11.3.6 is pretty unusual with it being available on many base firmware releases. We can pretty much guarantee that Tesla history is no guide to the future :D
I do wonder if this is the future? A more stable release being on current builds and an "early access" release on older builds, didn't they do something similar with AP a few years back?

It was essentially “I’ve been in the early FSD beta releases for a while and would like to be taken off the latest beta branches, can you please remove me from the beta and put me back on the main release branches”

I’m still waiting for the update to complete, but it includes FSD version 11.3.6 per the release notes so I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to enable it
THX, please let us know if you can still enable FSD Beta. While I would love to be on 23.20.x and stay current I don't want to take ANY chance of losing FSD Beta.

Agreed, although weirdly they seem to be reverting back to norm for 2023.26.1.....
With 23.20.x they release the first couple of versions without FSD Beta. So they will probably follow the same path with 23.26.x and release it with FSD Beta in a couple of weeks. I bet this is just to be sure there are no large bugs that could be attributed to adding FSD Beta to the newer release.

Also they may be waiting/hoping for a stable version of 11.4.x (11.4.6 maybe) so HW4 owners can benefit.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
although weirdly they seem to be reverting back to norm for 2023.26.1
Are there confirmations from people upgrading from 2023.20.x with 11.3.6 losing FSD Beta with 2023.26.1? TeslaFi and Teslascope need to manually annotate FSD status for each software version after people share screenshots, reports, etc. For example, Full Self-Driving / v11.3.6 | TeslaScope currently doesn't even show 2023.20.8 or 2023.20.9 whereas TeslaFi does tag them with 11.3.6.

I haven't seen complaints of people losing FSD Beta with the new software version when nearly all the updates have been from versions with the mainline FSD Beta, but it's still early in its rollout.

Ok my update from 2023.7.20 (with FSD 11.4.4) to 2023.20.8 (with FSD 11.3.6) is complete, that took a while.. but my FSD settings are still untouched, it’s still enabled exactly the same way I had it.

I even went for a short drive to confirm, and yep I was able to enable it and drove on FSD for a couple of blocks.

Good luck to the rest of ya!

IMG_8649.jpeg

Ok my update from 2023.7.20 (with FSD 11.4.4) to 2023.20.8 (with FSD 11.3.6) is complete, that took a while.. but my FSD settings are still untouched, it’s still enabled exactly the same way I had it.

I even went for a short drive to confirm, and yep I was able to enable it and drove on FSD for a couple of blocks.

Good luck to the rest of ya!

View attachment 958382
Great work!

Reactions: MarcG