Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Well, I was about to head out to go to downtown. One check on Google map stopped me. There are already 2 accidents on 110N, red all the way with reroutes to surface streets between 105 and 10. I will wait! 😂
Welcome to my life every day, twice a day.

It was moot anyway, the gridlock resulted in the express lanes being shut down for single occupant vehicles. Glad you didn’t end up wasting an hour of your life.

Meh.

I was on a 4-lane road, needing to go straight for a while. 2 lanes became 4 at a turn (new lanes for left and right turns), but FSD decided to swerve left into left-only lane half way then came back. This is with MLC on.

Tesla needs to fix this behaviour before putting all their resources to v12.

Have you tried setting FCW to Late?
Yes, setting FCW to Late (I was on Medium) seems to take out couple of false warnings on a curvy marked narrow 2 lanes (one on each side) road with parking on both sides.

The red identified cars on the opposite direction side after a left turn still shows. Those opposite side cars already behind me on my left. It shows even few lanes over to my left with a median divide.

Meh.

I was on a 4-lane road, needing to go straight for a while. 2 lanes became 4 at a turn (new lanes for left and right turns), but FSD decided to swerve left into left-only lane half way then came back. This is with MLC on.

Tesla needs to fix this behaviour before putting all their resources to v12.
I don't think it will help with v12. The MLC setting is a telltale that it is impossible to set a heavy enough coefficient in the NN to say something absolute like "No lane change!"

Reactions: mtndrew1
What are the close to 50 non-FSD features? Or at least some of the ones that folks want to see?
Looks like a feature ROLL UP from the past 4-5 non FSDb regular releases.. one has to scan the entire NATA page to see them all. I think this build will just pretty much feature parity with NON FSDb releases at this point. Something about that says to ME at least, we’re waiting till EOY/Holiday release for any FSD 12.x to try out.. which sort of makes sense.

Personally I’d like like PAK to finally work reliably again!

Welcome to my life every day, twice a day.

It was moot anyway, the gridlock resulted in the express lanes being shut down for single occupant vehicles. Glad you didn’t end up wasting an hour of your life.
OK, here is a report on my drive this afternoon. Model S LR, Software v2023.7.30 ,FSD beta v11.4.7. Chill, Max speed offset 0. FCW Late, MLC not set, Navigation remap if exceed 10 min. Route North bound 110, entry at Sepulveda Blvd, Exit at 9th St. South bound, entry at 17th st, Exit at Carson.

Highlights:
1) E bound Sepulveda on middle lane, no auto lane changes. Speed at or below 40 mph speed limit. Two lane entrance to 110N, Left lane, last minute merge with no signal.
2) 110N, Auto lane change once while slowed by truck at around 45 mph. Speed limit is 65 mph..
3) Most of travel from 91 North are below 55 mph, some stop and go, I dialed down max speed to approx 20 mph above on going traffic. No auto lane change. Most travel are on lane one left of right most. Did couple of manual lane change by signalling,
4) GPS signal degraded at around Coliseum and Navigation degraded.
5) Traffic want to redirect to local at Adams Blvd north of 39 st. Disengage and manually drive to 9th st exit.
6) South bound mostly below Speed limit 65 mph. I dialed down to approx 20 mph above on going stop and go traffic. No auto lane change and unwanted slow down.
7) FSD tried to merge left to avoid on a last minute cut in of a truck from the right at 91 interchange. I disengaged and stay on lane as it seemed to have enough room for slow down and stop and I don't know whether if there was any car on my left.
8) My hands are on the yoke. No warning nags.

It seems that 11.4.7 is much better than NOA. Just "chill it" and you will be OK.

Last edited:
OK, here is a report on my drive this afternoon. Model S LR, Software v2023.7.30 ,FSD beta v11.4.7. Chill, Max speed offset 0. FCW Late, MLC not set, Navigation remap if exceed 10 min. Route North bound 110, entry at Sepulveda Blvd, Exit at 9th St. South bound, entry at 17th st, Exit at Carson.

Highlights:
1) E bound Sepulveda on middle lane, no auto lane changes. Speed at or below 40 mph speed limit. Two lane entrance to 110N, Left lane, last minute merge with no signal.
2) 110N, Auto lane change once while slowed by truck at around 45 mph. Speed limit is 65 mph..
3) Most of travel from 91 North are below 55 mph, some stop and go, I dialed down max speed to approx 20 mph above on going traffic. No auto lane change. Most travel are on lane one left of right most. Did couple of manual lane change by signalling,
4) GPS signal degraded at around Coliseum and Navigation degraded.
5) Traffic want to redirect to local at Adams Blvd north of 39 st. Disengage and manually drive to 9th st exit.
6) South bound mostly below Speed limit 65 mph. I dialed down to approx 20 mph above on going stop and go traffic. No auto lane change and unwanted slow down.
7) FSD tried to merge left to avoid on a last minute cut in of a truck from the right at 91 interchange. I disengaged and stay on lane as it seemed to have enough room for slow down and stop and I don't know whether if there was any car on my left.
8) My hands are on the yoke. No warning nags.

It seems that 11.4.7 is much better than NOA. Just "chill it" and you will be OK.
So cool of you to take the time to do the drive, thank you!

So cool of you to take the time to do the drive, thank you!
No problem. One thing I forgot to mention is that on stop and go traffic. Every time when FSD beta slow down to a stop, it kind of do a little zig-zag yo-yo as if hunting for the correct lane position.

I will be driving up to SF this week end. This time I will see if it do better on 152 from I-5 to San Jose. NOA cannot handle some of the sharper curves over the mountain and the 2 lanes (one each direction) curvy farm section.

The road I was on was one lane each direction, along with a turn lane. The road I was crossing was two lanes in each direction, with a turn lane.

Didn’t work around here for the flashing red disabled signal.

There was construction too, so there was only one lane open, normally the center turn lane, and cones everywhere (which it managed to negotiate, poorly). Anyway, just sat there on Miramar, refusing to move.
IMG_8899.jpeg

In spite of the dynamic improvements, it still does not pass the wife test. Just accelerates inappropriately and slows down too suddenly on rural twisting highways like 79, 78 (it’s not awful usually, it is just inappropriate and far inferior to a reasonably skilled driver). “It’s too jerky.”

Only by passing this test would there be any further adoption, and even then the price is likely a bit too high.
IMG_8900.jpeg

Last edited: