Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
There might be reasons beyond raw cost, like parts supply -- without knowing when exactly the wipers went Vision

But like for the ultrasonic sensor removal, I'm still in the school of thought it was necessary to navigate supply chain problems. On the surface it seems like a relatively small cost impact, but vehicles can't be delivered at all if they're sitting in lots waiting for a couple parts.

Pretty good position to be in where you can cut parts and promise some future magical OTA update that will restore functionality
.... and that will never come in the cars we own now.

Just got back from a drive in my neighbor's very dusty 2019 VW eGolf, which she paid $15k for back in 2019 (new) after tax credits and VW trying to clear these out. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought one as a second car, because it was a bargain. The automatic wipers work perfectly. F'in Tesla. Seriously. I paid over 10x as much, and have wipers that work 10x as poorly, and that's being generous to Tesla.

1701803825923.jpeg

.... and will never come.

Just got back from a drive in my neighbor's very dusty 2019 VW eGolf, which she paid $15k for back in 2019 (new) after tax credits and VW trying to clear these out. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought one as a second car, because it was a bargain. The automatic wipers work perfectly. F'in Tesla. Seriously. I paid over 10x as much, and have wipers that work 10x as poorly, and that's being generous to Tesla.

View attachment 996677
Yeah, so do the ones in my Rivian....

Last edited:
Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain… As long as you’re not driving a Tesla…
The funny thing is that FSDj does itself no favors. First, the system is junk, we've established that. And second, without working auto wipers it makes a junk system even more junk, since it was crap before the wipers not working was (re)introduced in 11.4.7. Talk about Tesla self sabotaging...

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and Ramphex
The funny thing is that FSDj does itself no favors. First, the system is junk, we've established that. And second, without working auto wipers it makes a junk system even more junk, since it was crap before the wipers not working was (re)introduced in 11.4.7. Talk about Tesla self sabotaging...
What FSDj does to the wipers, makes the car junk (in the rain)… wait, even when it’s not raining… due to dry wiping and windshield fine scratching.

That must feel so good when it's raining, and you know you're in the right vehicle (aka not a Tesla).
Well, to be fair, we just drove 800 miles the other day in non-stop rain with tremendous success in our Model X. Like I noted, highway FSD is good, it's local driving which is often challenged. My current Model X is a fantastic vehicle and hands down better than the first 2 I owned. Wouldn't buy any other EV being produced right now (my neighbor in NC has a Rivian and it's been down quite often and without local service the pits to own).

Well, to be fair, we just drove 800 miles the other day in non-stop rain with tremendous success in our Model X. Like I noted, highway FSD is good, it's local driving which is often challenged. My current Model X is a fantastic vehicle and hands down better than the first 2 I owned. Wouldn't buy any other EV being produced right now (my neighbor in NC has a Rivian and it's been down quite often and without local service the pits to own).
Right? And the sad thing is there's no other EV I'd rather have right now, either, which is... well, an indictment of the crap that most other manufacturers are putting out there. Same reason I'd only have a Cybertruck right now (if I needed a truck). No other truck excites me like a Cybertruck does. When you factor in Tesla's shenanigans.., the competition must really be bad if I'd not swap my current car for anything on the market.
I think it's a vast conspiracy from Tesla to get @WilliamG and @jebinc to sell their Teslas and move on. 😁
Haha. The thought did occur to me. 😅

Even worst - that collision avoidance is built into the current safety testing so is essentially required to get good safety ratings.
I don't know worse or good .... but here is my position.

It is absolutely atrocious that in 2023 we have cars that will slam into things killing or injuring 10s of thousands of people. It would be possible with current technology to cheaply implement collision avoidance / slowdown. It should be mandatory on all cars. We have to accept some unnecessary slowdowns (false positives) as a collateral damage. Just like we have accepted restraint by seatbelts.

Yep, here in Seattle it won't stop raining. 29 hours later and we're here (measured at my house). Auto wipers unusable last night (had to set them manually).

View attachment 996680
What I have found is - if I press the left stalk (in 3) once - wipers get going and auto wipers mostly work after that (when its raining). Sometimes I just set the speed manually. The dry wipes have no solution, though (when using FSD, which is 99% of the time for me).

What I have found is - if I press the left stalk (in 3) once - wipers get going and auto wipers mostly work after that (when its raining). Sometimes I just set the speed manually. The dry wipes have no solution, though (when using FSD, which is 99% of the time for me).
I don’t have a stalk… the Great Charlatan took it away…