Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Can someone please explain how the branches work? I am on 2022.44.30.10 and I think I am hearing that nobody on 2022.44.x is updated yet but why? what is the difference in the 2022 line vs the 10.69? Also has anyone figured out a pattern to this? Thank You.

Looks like potholes especially while on FSD Beta. 🤣
The good news is there are less potholes in tourist areas. Potholes are everywhere on streets for people to commute to work. SD is a city with many industries. Driving along the beach in the north side is nice although some small towns have street bumpers.

It looks like potholes affect only ICE cars. :)

Last edited:
Can someone please explain how the branches work? I am on 2022.44.30.10 and I think I am hearing that nobody on 2022.44.x is updated yet but why? what is the difference in the 2022 line vs the 10.69? Also has anyone figured out a pattern to this? Thank You.

Your firmware version is actually the most likely to update to 2022.45.13 (FSDb v11.3.4) at the moment.

Screenshot_20230401-122643.png

I have 2022.45.12, FSD 11.3.3. I used the autopilot feature a lot yesterday and was pretty happy with it. It did it's own lane changes well and was great in stop and go traffic. I had to take over once when a large orange traffic barrel thing was partially out in my lane. FSD was kind of alarming about it. Not sure what the screen said as I was focused on taking over and avoiding the thing. I was prompted to leave a voice description of what happened. Maybe the car would have avoided it but I did not want to find out as traffic was heavy. I got into town and FSD worked pretty well but surprisingly once again totally botched a left turn from a 4 way stop into our neighborhood. It did this with an earlier version of FSD then got better but now is back to being confused. Not sure why. It is a well marked four way stop. The car gets into the left turn lane fine and stops for the stop sign. Then instead of simply turning left, it instead creeps past the stop sign and turns slightly left to veer into the oncoming lane but not enough to fully turn left. The car is then heading towards a curb. I have to take over to turn the car left enough to make the turn. So strange as the intersection seems so simple.

On controlled access highways FSD is just about at L3 with V11.
Haha. “Just about” definitely doing a lot of work here.

at 9:06 suddenly veered towards the truck
ADHD MCTS planner strikes again. NN planner will fix this fo sho. 😂

No way this would happen on the freeway for reasons so bring on L3. Just about ready.

That is, and will always be one of my greatest concerns.. I’ve seen the bahaviour before and it’s heart pumping for sure.
When it happened to you, did you notice what the planner was showing? I've never seen this before, and Black Tesla had his cameras up on the screen, not the planner. The only thing I saw was some movement on the right from a cross traffic vehicle that drifted up a little.

When it happened to you, did you notice what the planner was showing? I've never seen this before, and Black Tesla had his cameras up on the screen, not the planner. The only thing I saw was some movement on the right from a cross traffic vehicle that drifted up a little.
You can see the planner on the secondary screen.

But anyway that was a batsh*t crazy manoeuvre.
Car was just taking a left. Probably saw an opportunity to get ahead of slow traffic with a quick back street diversion.
car started to correct just before the driver took ove
Very common. Planner is primary. If a little ADHD.
not the planner.
As mentioned, right there. Left turn! Briefly.

This is why it is L2 hands on wheel all the time. This stuff is very common (as compared to a human driver).

Haha. “Just about” definitely doing a lot of work here.

ADHD MCTS planner strikes again. NN planner will fix this fo sho. 😂

No way this would happen on the freeway for reasons so bring on L3. Just about ready.
For me "just about" is accurate. I didn't say FSD was there yet but the improvement in 11.3.3 has completely changed my highway drives. I've now driven several hundred highway miles and the only interventions I've had are:
  • Manually move out of the passing lane. I assume that is a bug since it used to work.
  • Merging on the highway is a crapshoot so that function needs a lot of improvement.
  • Speed changes. All minor and related to mapping issues.
  • 1 exit ramp was a bit jerky. It would have made the exit it but I wanted to enter a report for Tesla.
Today for the first time when I drove in heavy rain FSD did not disengage. It warned me at the start of each drive but thats all. Previously 60% of drives in the rain resulted in loss of FSD. Others have reported the same.

So if the above are fixed plus other problems considered high priority FSD could be really close to L3 this year. Just allow a option to limit FSD to only when you've merged onto the highway with the "minimal change lanes" setting on. And maybe add a max speed limit, say 75mph. Then let me watch videos/text with FSD only handing problems off to the driver that don't require urgent attention. 30-60 seconds notice. It is doable if Tesla wants to. Which up course they won't since they are so focues on L4/L5 robotaxi service.

I still don’t have 11. But like others have said what have they done to merging? It looks horrible now. Beta always did this “zipper merge” even before 11. It’s ridiculously uncomfortable. Doesn’t use a turn signal and then aggressively swerves to merge at the last second. Sometimes I even think it is going to hit the curb to the right before it swerves. Hugely disappointing that they think that this is ok to do on the highway. Does it work with traffic around? I feel like it doesn’t adjust with traffic at all to find a gap.

Again, I don’t have 11 yet so I am just going off of YouTube vids.

So for the vehicle you found "going backwards" could very well be a new vehicle on 2023.6.8 and still on that version while the same owner reusing TeslaFi account had an older vehicle getting FSD Beta 11.3.3.
Thank you. This would explain that one unique case. When I noticed it, I was hopeful that it represented a change in the no down-date policy, but your observation explains why it was a one-off TeslaFi glitch. Too bad for 2023.x folks, sad to say.

I do wonder why they don't allow FSD onwers/subscribers to download down-rev versions. The only issue I can imagine is it might make it impossible to retain some newer user settings, so the customer might have to re-set up everything. I've had to do that after a service, annoying but a small price to pay compared to the up to $15K already sunk. But if there are no significant hardware incompatibilities, and the FSDβ can handle the hardware version, why not? It is not like this is a real beta program any longer...

Anyway, thank you for the explanation.

You can see the planner on the secondary screen.
Thanks. So it was planning a left turn for a split second. It doesn't speak well to the planner's time horizon. "I'll just instantaneously pop through this gap in traffic..."
So if the above are fixed plus other problems considered high priority FSD could be really close to L3 this year.
The jump from L2 to L3 is a huge one because it involves a shift of liability. I an easily see automakers going all the way to L5 and still calling their systems L2 in order to avoid being responsible for anything going wrong. I wonder if Tesla's foray into insurance is at all related to autonomy.