Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yes, it's very bad now. In fact, FSD Beta is unusable in residential areas. It's simply too slow to use. (This was also the case with 10.69 to be clear though it is probably a bit worse now.)

1) It stops at the stop line, as legally required (unfortunately it doesn't cheat and stop past the stop line), extremely slowly with a very slow roll up to it.
2) It then creeps slowly for visibility, often stopping again.
3) Then it goes. Sometimes it stops again or hesitates.

Yes, another problem is that in residential areas even making right turns at intersections without stop signs, it stops. This is not new though it is worse now because the stopping is overall slower.

But yes, meant to report that FSD Beta 11.3.4 is unusable in residential areas due to lack of typical human-like behavior around intersections (which are numerous in residential areas).
Yep, I'm reluctant to FSDb in traffic as well related to the slow dawdling response. Some are using the throttle to prod FSDb along but for me the end result is an even more clunky rough ride which gets old quick.

I frequently have people behind me. Gauranteed they are not pissed off and I don't even use accelerator as we have discussed before. But here in the NW people are more humane and are not super angry all the time ... esp. in residential areas. They don't even honk if someone slows down and makes an illegal U-Turn

I've timed (in the past) how much time it takes FSD to make right turns and go from a stop sign. They are comparable to human drivers. I used the timing from cars in front of me to compare to what FSD does.
This certainly is not the case anymore.

I’ll post a brief clip of the conniptions at a left turn with a stop sign soon. It’s really quite poor indeed.

Maybe the stop lines are painted further forward in your area in a place where they would provide adequate visibility?

That would help a lot. The problem is after the stop it engages the creep network, which as we know is not functional in a practical sense. If that second painful step could be avoided, the performance would probably be almost fine (if a bit slow, probably not enough to arouse suspicion).

Last edited:
can someone explain to me why the minimal change lane option is only available per Drive? I would like to use it all the time.would be nice to just turn it on and not have to worry about it every time you engage full self-driving. not sure what Tesla was thinking here
I'm not sure what they're thinking, ever, and they don't share their thoughts, only share the fairytales by the charlatan.

Yes, it's very bad now. In fact, FSD Beta is unusable in residential areas. It's simply too slow to use. (This was also the case with 10.69 to be clear though it is probably a bit worse now.)

1) It stops at the stop line, as legally required (unfortunately it doesn't cheat and stop past the stop line), extremely slowly with a very slow roll up to it.

Yes, another problem is that in residential areas even making right turns at intersections without stop signs, it stops. This is not new though it is worse now because the stopping is overall slower.

But yes, meant to report that FSD Beta 11.3.4 is unusable in residential areas due to lack of typical human-like behavior around intersections (which are numerous in residential areas).
I think FSD Beta has been bad since day one. I cannot get out of my residential area, period! First it was driving in the middle of the road and turn from the middle. Now its better in keeping to the right. Stopping on turns are OK but takes too long of a wait to proceed even with no traffic.

I don't understand why FSD Beta needs to first steer left a little to turn right and steer right a little to turn left! The Tesla engineers don't seem to understand you can change speed to modify curves (I wonder if they drive at all). My Model S Yoke jerk like crazy on these turns. A slight modulation of speed will make the turns much smoother!

My issues with intersections are mostly in non-residential areas.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My issues with intersections are mostly in non-residential areas.

I can definitely believe that. I routinely take over on 5 out of 8 turns on my drive to work.
Left residential - takeover too slow
Right residential - unnecessary stop
Left big ULT - rarely successful
Left - usually ok
Right- too slow into dedicated lane, does not advance for visibility.
Left - veers into adjacent turn lane
Left - usually ok.
Left - usually ok.
Yep, I just call it as I see it. If it is good, I will definitely say so.
E.g. Lane changes on the freeway are legitimately quite good and prompt in some circumstances now. It can change lanes three times in 0.5 miles (light traffic usually but some is ok, still works) which is better than some humans, lol. How consistent this is is TBD.

Reactions: EVNow
Anyone get 11.3.5 yet? Drove 11.3.3 from south Orange County to Redwood City and back over the weekend. Included driving through very narrow and windy roads in the Berkeley hills. Excellent highway driving including lane choices. Very good on city streets with exception of disengagement twice in construction zones and a puzzling turning FSD off suddenly near the top of a very long hill climb in Berkeley hills. Probably 98% of driving done with FSD beta on. I was impressed at how well mannered it was.

So I’m kind of curious how much the junk maps contribute to FSDb’s junkinness.

Two instances of annoyance today on my CVS trip for more cream….

1) FSDb tried to get out of the most left turning lane into the regular lane of travel before making a left turn. I let it play out for a moment to see how bad it’ll get and then took over, by the time I corrected the behavior, the voice prompt to report it was gone. Here’s the picture of the intersection with what FSDb was trying to do instead of turning left from the left turning lane.

IMG_7614.jpeg

2) This intersection has ALWAYS been an issue from day 1 I got beta. Instead of just driving across after stopping, it thinks it has to enter the left turning lane with a left turn signal, then hit a right turn signal turning right, then go across. I always cancel prior to this point if there’s any traffic behind me to not create any confusion.

IMG_0371.jpeg

Last edited: