Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Man FSDb is so good, I can’t get over how good it is.

It went full retard again today, I recreated the situation and recorded it going full retard. What did it do? Gave me a strike for recording it 😂😂

Video: iCloud

Strike:
View attachment 925519
Oddly the events prior to the sudden slowdown and stop were not included in the video.

No idea how flashing and warnings are indicated on Model S.

In any case allowing the car to stop in the middle of the road from 43mph+ with 10 seconds of warning should result in a strike even with no prior nags. That is how accidents happen.

Seems like the system is working well. Any reason why you think it is the phone that was the cause? Because it did this before at the same location and you got no strike? Also good if it responds with quick strikes to phone recording as well I guess.

Oddly the events prior to the sudden slowdown and stop were not included in the video.

No idea how flashing and warnings are indicated on Model S.

In any case allowing the car to stop in the middle of the road from 43mph+ with 10 seconds of warning should result in a strike even with no prior nags. That is how accidents happen.

Seems like the system is working well. Any reason why you think it is the phone that was the cause? Because it did this before at the same location and you got no strike? Also good if it responds with quick strikes to phone recording as well I guess.
Man I don’t know what you guys do there in cali but your logic is always all sorts of weird.

The car stops there every single time I drive through there. For no reason. I once again recreated the stop, making sure there is no one behind me, and recorded it for evidence. Recording it gave me a strike. I can go out there and drive through the same spot 10 times without recording it, and it wont give me a strike. It’ll just stop.

But then without video proof the story kind of sucks and you’ll say “FSDb is great and working as it should”…. But then again, even with video proof you think it’s working as it should by drawing a stop line in the middle of the road and just stopping 😂😂😂

Edit: there were no events to include prior, just driving. You want me to go out there and record pointless several minutes of just driving prior to it stopping?

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Man I don’t know what you guys do there in cali but your logic is always all sorts of weird.

The car stops there every single time I drive through there. For no reason. I once again recreated the stop, making sure there is no one behind me, and recorded it for evidence. Recording it gave me a strike. I can go out there and drive through the same spot 10 times without recording it, and it wont give me a strike. It’ll just stop.

But then without video proof the story kind of sucks and you’ll say “FSDb is great and working as it should”…. But then again, even with video proof you think it’s working as it should by drawing a stop line in the middle of the road and just stopping 😂😂😂

Edit: there were no events to include prior, just driving. You want me to go out there and record pointless several minutes of just driving prior to it stopping?
As I suspected, it seems like it was the phone. Since this is quite repeatable it seems like it should be possible to rig something up to be sure though.

Doesn’t really matter though. Seems like a legit strike no matter which way you slice it.

As I suspected, it seems like it was the phone. Since this is quite repeatable it seems like it should be possible to rig something up to be sure though.

Doesn’t really matter though. Seems like a legit strike no matter which way you slice it.
The problem isn’t the strike. It’s the full retard FSDb stopping in the middle of the road. The strike was for recording its *sugar* behavior. That was known and was not a mystery.

So I finally got my first FSDb version on Tuesday night (11.3.5) and have been experimenting over the past 2 days. It definitely tried to kill me a few times, but I take the admonition to be ready to take over very seriously. Having read stuff on here for years waiting my turn, it met my expectations. I have to say, if I hadn't been riding Waymo a lot over the past few months I would have been really impressed with it. Waymo seems years ahead. I can't imagine my mother or anyone who isn't nuts like us using this regularly. But that's what I'm here for. Definitely love beta testing and am looking for excuses to run errands.

Reactions: JB47394
The problem isn’t the strike. It’s the full retard FSDb stopping in the middle of the road. The strike was for recording its *sugar* behavior. That was known and was not a mystery.
Yeah probably a map problem. Maybe it doesn’t like the orange-ish memorial sign ahead and the Montessori school.

No big deal. Just charge ahead. It is working as designed; just have to keep that accelerator firmly pushed a lot of the time. Just watch for the wide corner swings when you do it.

Yeah probably a map problem. Maybe it doesn’t like the orange-ish memorial sign ahead and the Montessori school.

No big deal. Just charge ahead. It is working as designed; just have to keep that accelerator firmly pushed a lot of the time. Just watch for the wide corner swings when you do it.
Think if I cover up the sign for a test…. It won’t stop there? Lol 😅

• Funny
Reactions: bhakan
Whatever work they put into deducing the lane network and drivable space with NNs is kind of a menace. 2 takeovers on one drive because:
* waiting at a 4 way stop, a pair of pedestrians cross on the other side of the street, blocking the way, then a 3rd pedestrian begins to cross. FSDb decides it's seen enough and the road will never be clear and it should turn left; blinker goes on and it attempts to go.
* going straight in the right lane, approaching an intersection; however the lane geometry is such that you have to angle to the left because straight ahead is a curb separating the bike lane and some streetside parking from the road. FSDb decided it'll take no chances and sets the blinker and the path planner to turn right at the intersection.
Nav route did not change in either situation, so it was purely some vision-based behavior.

Bonus notable 3rd takeover elsewhere - tried to run the red light after I engaged FSDb while approaching the intersection.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394 and JHCCAZ

Err - am I missing something here.
FSDb coming to a full and complete stop in the middle of the road with no exterior indication of any need to stop is "working as designed"
Assuming for the moment that Tesla designed FSD to stop for no reason, its difficult to fathom why they would do so.
Therefore my interpretation is with @Ramphex in that it is definitely not supposed to do that.

So I finally got my first FSDb version on Tuesday night (11.3.5) and have been experimenting over the past 2 days. It definitely tried to kill me a few times, but I take the admonition to be ready to take over very seriously. Having read stuff on here for years waiting my turn, it met my expectations. I have to say, if I hadn't been riding Waymo a lot over the past few months I would have been really impressed with it. Waymo seems years ahead. I can't imagine my mother or anyone who isn't nuts like us using this regularly. But that's what I'm here for. Definitely love beta testing and am looking for excuses to run errands.
That would be fine if it didn't cost $15k...

Maybe just have a little indication on the screen somewhere displaying the mode as you said…then the toggle can still be instantaneous (not responding on the first push also not ideal).

Fortunately changing profiles doesn’t have very rapid effects, but yes I often find myself wondering what mode I am in, and there is no way to know for sure.
Plenty of room in the status bar at the top of the screen for profile to be displayed.

Whatever work they put into deducing the lane network and drivable space with NNs is kind of a menace. 2 takeovers on one drive because:
* waiting at a 4 way stop, a pair of pedestrians cross on the other side of the street, blocking the way, then a 3rd pedestrian begins to cross. FSDb decides it's seen enough and the road will never be clear and it should turn left; blinker goes on and it attempts to go.
* going straight in the right lane, approaching an intersection; however the lane geometry is such that you have to angle to the left because straight ahead is a curb separating the bike lane and some streetside parking from the road. FSDb decided it'll take no chances and sets the blinker and the path planner to turn right at the intersection.
Nav route did not change in either situation, so it was purely some vision-based behavior.

Bonus notable 3rd takeover elsewhere - tried to run the red light after I engaged FSDb while approaching the intersection.
These don't sound very menacing except for trying to run the red light. An annoyance if FSDb diverts from the route, but so long as it does so safely, not a menace.

Running red lights is certainly a menace.

Therefore my interpretation is with @Ramphex in that it is definitely not supposed to do that.
Oh it is definitely not supposed to do that!

It’s clearly the wrong behavior. And it should say why it is stopping (would help solve a lot of mysteries!).

But it is working as designed.

Furthermore it is expected so slam that accelerator and go. What else do you have to do?

Slamming the accelerator in FSD Beta should be a well engrained first instinct.