Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yeah seems like we should expect an updated update maybe this weekend or the following. Perhaps bringing things into 2023?
Likely not based on a 2023 build. If the update is tweaking 11.3.X, then it's a bugfix release built on the same base version. 11.4.X should built on a 2023 base. But, I doubt that 11.4.X will be released to customers until all current FSDb cars are offered an 11.3.X build.

11.4.X is also going to take some time. Need to integrate and test much more. And hopefully, FSDb will add some more new features. Certainly nothing as big as single-stack, but hopefully we'll start seeing something other than the low-level infrastructure redesigns that Tesla spent all last year implementing. Not that they weren't needed, but time to take advantage of all that work to provide some new capabilities at the user level.

Likely not based on a 2023 build.
Agreed. Certainly not for anything this weekend. Maybe in a few weeks.

11.4.X is also going to take some time.
I don’t see this moving of the neural nets taking less than six months.

I assume his one more round of refinement will be more like several.

At least it doesn’t sound like the planner will happen any time soon. Doesn’t seem possible really but I guess we will see.

FE06B671-104A-4585-A963-A3861FF55A4A.jpeg

Reactions: SSDTester#1
Thanks, I went ahead and set up. One thing I lost isn't in the Profile. On the day I bought I set up a Lifetime Trip and there is no way to get that back. Oddly I was having audio problems that seemed to be discussed in this thread. Here is a post I made on it this morning.

STRANGE, I had pretty extreme cracking, popping and sporadic loss of music and/or voice navigation. Read this thread and assumed it was what all were experiencing and would have to live with it until Tesla updates.

THEN I had a STRANG situation. I needed to do a 2 button reboot. When the screen came back up I found myself in Tesla HELL. My car must have did a complete factory reset and I lost everything. Spent a couple of hours setting up and also did a Service Menu/reinstall software.

Oddly now my audio is now working perfectly and haven't had a single pop or dropout. Even Apple Music now loads the next track almost immediately.

Trips were lost. Homelink was lost. i had to reprogram my garage doors. My custom car color was lost (lol i don't care too much about that). Wonder why this kinda data can't also be kept with the cloud profile.....

I think following distance on the Chill setting may actually exceed the prior 7 setting
From what I've measured, the old "7" setting would follow at 2 seconds when cruising with a steady lead vehicle on the highway. 11.3.4's Chill in similar situations follows at 1.5 seconds. The old "2" setting would be less than 1 second behind. This is from starting a stopwatch when the lead vehicle's rear passes a reference point like a line, shadow, object, etc. and stopping when the front of my vehicle reaches that point.

Of course both NoA and FSD Beta can shorten the gap when traffic is slowing or changing lead vehicles as well as lengthen in other situations. Both stacks can be quite a bit closer or further for those more dynamic situations.

Both stacks can be quite a bit closer or further for those more dynamic situations.
Yeah, as I said, I haven’t had a chance to really just camp for a while and see what it ends up at long term. My brief experiments showed about 3 seconds and the 1.5 seconds on Assertive (which felt way too close).

But more investigation needed to determine in a scenario where I set minimal lane changes and just set up camp.

I am surprised that Chill is steady state 1.5sec though. Didn’t seem like it was likely to get that close in my experiments and it stayed at closer to 3 sec.

This was all at around 75-80mph (and the safe following time produced by the profile will probably be dependent on speed, since stopping distance goes with the square of velocity not including reaction time). You can safely lop off a second or so (not precise) at 45mph; for the same time you’d be at 56% of the distance but 31% of the stopping distance.

I’d prefer it just stick to 2.5-3 seconds except at very slow speeds though!

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
I find myself switching profiles accidentally because pushing left/right on the button doesn't recall the previous setting, but immediately changes it. It should be one push to recall, then second push changes the setting, or at least display the current setting somewhere.
Maybe just have a little indication on the screen somewhere displaying the mode as you said…then the toggle can still be instantaneous (not responding on the first push also not ideal).

Fortunately changing profiles doesn’t have very rapid effects, but yes I often find myself wondering what mode I am in, and there is no way to know for sure.

Last edited:
An example of such prohibition would be useful here. Many times people assert a particular driving maneuver is illegal, when, in fact, it is actually legal.

In Texas, using the shoulder is acceptable for making turns, as well as other uses:

Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.

Clearly, in Texas, pulling into the shoulder when making a right turn is not only courteous, it is perfectly legal.
Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I’ve been doing a bunch of illegal things, but this list is perfectly consistent with my driving.

Yeehaw, non-Texans!