Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I have done recalibration about six times since starting FDSb about 20 months ago.. each time, it hasn’t appeared to do anything to correct the errors that I have encountered. My hope was that re-calibration would correct the median / center line offset issue that I continue to have (car wants to drive about 3-4 FEET from the center line, so VERY close to cars parked on the side - usually about 10-12 inches away when passing by) but sadly it has never adjusted that at all.
When in my residential neighborhood with unmarked streets, it used to drive near center, which many people complained about, so now it drives more to the right, and does get close to parked cars, however not 10 inches close.

They can't please everyone. 🤷

When in my residential neighborhood with unmarked streets, it used to drive near center, which many people complained about, so now it drives more to the right, and does get close to parked cars, however not 10 inches close.

They can't please everyone. 🤷
Yes - we have been through this a LOT. Unlike many people's assumption, it isn't simple. There are a large number of scenarios and its not easy to handle all of them. I won't be surprised if AP team itself is not aware of all the cases and thought initially it is easy.

2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, FSD, HW3, 154K miles

11.4.2 Update
Something new and exciting today, coming down the hill on main road car carried the speed towards the turn in for the development. Normally the car slows way down, looks for the double yellow line of the road it is turning into on it's left, jerks a bit and then turns. This time it came in hot carry the 35mph tried to make the turn reached the 45 degree mark and then went head on at the curb. I thought it was going to overshoot and go to other entrance, nope it went for it. Yikes. I quick hit the brakes and cut the wheel. I haven't used it to turn into the hood with 4.2 at this end of the development, I usually come in from the other end and it's fine. I'll test it some more to see if this is the new behavior or just an anomaly. It's fine if it keeps the speed but to bail at the last minute straight at the curb is not good.

The other day it did stop for the stop sign at top of the hill, so this is good. I tried a few more times but each time another car was in front of me. It had been accelerating towards the intersection over the past year or so. It would pick up the blocked stop sign, brake hard and end up in middle of intersection and then go. On plain FSD before Beta it would slow way down, and stop too short about 20'. Beta came along and it just kept blowing it. So it might be fixed now, more testing will tell.

On the road from my wife's work it braked for the stop sign on left side of road which is for adjacent street. It hasn't braked for that stop sign in a long time, maybe another anomaly. Oddly it doesn't do it all the time.

Green lights today, for some unknown reason it kept braking as it came upon green lights, normally it doesn't do that. Had a chance to see what it would do with the Traffic lights all out due to power failure. It started to stop, so I just went, no cars on either side of the side streets, I was on the main road, but I had a car behind me, not sure if it would have completely stopped.

Another day of 4.2 testing. Not liking the non consistency of 4.2. When it works well it is really good, and when its bad, it's bad but at spots where it wasn't bad. Frustrating, I can't always use it with passengers in the car, I don't know if or where it may act up.

Keep testing and be safe.

Go Tesla!

In today’s what’s broken since 2023.x update…. COP doesn’t want to work anymore.

View attachment 945041

View attachment 945042
When did you last park the car? COP only lasts for 12 hours, then it has to be reset. If that's what's happening, I can give you a way to reset automatically.

This is a huge issue for me because I don't have a garage, and Arizona burns up car Interiors. I need my computer to last long enough for FSD to be solved.

11.4.2 is becoming pretty much useless around town for me. No going on green lights, stopping in the middle of a turn, (*some, for the above listed). Making a left onto the road I live on, it does a weird maneuver and ends up in the lane of oncoming traffic (thankfully, my road only sees about 6 cars a day go down it), but still not acceptable.

Highway is slightly better, but still has some issues. Seems like the zipper merge is a thing of the past now at least.

Reactions: jebinc and D Good
11.4.2 is becoming pretty much useless around town for me. No going on green lights, stopping in the middle of a turn, (*some, for the above listed). Making a left onto the road I live on, it does a weird maneuver and ends up in the lane of oncoming traffic (thankfully, my road only sees about 6 cars a day go down it), but still not acceptable.

Highway is slightly better, but still has some issues. Seems like the zipper merge is a thing of the past now at least.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying something is wrong with your car. Either a hardware issue (cameras messing up, GPS antenna getting interference and not accurate, or faulty MCU or FSD computer), or a software issue (corrupt firmware installation, bad camera calibration, or bad USB drive).

I totally buy the weird little issues people have, and odd lane changes, etc. But the fact that your car will slow down/stop at a green light, or will sit at a red light and then not go when it's green, or turning into an oncoming lane - something is way off.

@WilliamG We should definitely try your scenario with 3/Y. What was the road you had trouble with ? @SeattleFSD
Happy to come along for the ride. Head west on the West Seattle Bridge, all the way to the end, and take the exit onto 35th Ave SW. That road all the way to the stop sign at Manning is hopeless. It's easy for us to recreate when there's nobody around since one of us can just drive the other direction toward the car running FSD, and the FSD car will come to a complete stop. It's embarrassing.

@SeattleFSD

I'm going out on a limb here and saying something is wrong with your car. Either a hardware issue (cameras messing up, GPS antenna getting interference and not accurate, or faulty MCU or FSD computer), or a software issue (corrupt firmware installation, bad camera calibration, or bad USB drive).

I totally buy the weird little issues people have, and odd lane changes, etc. But the fact that your car will slow down/stop at a green light, or will sit at a red light and then not go when it's green, or turning into an oncoming lane - something is way off.
This happened to me yesterday. I think something changed in the software, as a sidenote. Before 11.4.2 I don't recall the navigation ever describing a turn as coming "immediately". Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, getting back on topic,- I was on Aloha St in Seattle, and the car has to turn right onto 9th Ave N (as per the picture), and then get over two lanes immediately to take the left turn onto Westlake Ave N. The car stopped at the stop sign at the end of Aloha St, - there was no traffic, so the car turned right onto 9th Ave N, - darted out and over into the left turn lane as if to go toward Westlake Ave N. The car SAW the red arrow (shown highlighted on the driver's display in my Model S) so it certainly identified that it was NOT supposed to go. And for a second, it behaved. It came to a complete stop. And then a few seconds later it decided to run the red light/arrow - at which point I intervened as it started accelerating. I saved the video from that moment, since it was pretty appalling.

1686263973659.jpeg

11.4.2 is bad. Really really bad. Its lane selection is the worst of any FSD beta release ever. On a simple 4 mile drive today in the suburbs I had 7 disengagements due to it selecting the right turning lane at intersections where we want to go straight. Weirdly, when it does this there is no “changing lanes to follow route” message on the screen. I have seen this behavior at some intersections before, but now it is doing it at even more intersections. Seriously?! I know it’s a hard problem but we are 3 years in now with FSD beta and it’s the worst it’s ever been. Is this ai team really all that great? I know FSD is a significantly harder problem, but there are other a.i. products out there that are actually useful now (think chatGPT.) Again, I know that human communication is significantly easier, but I feel like it is impossible to trust the FSD team at this point seeing as how we have made little-to-no progress really over the past few years regarding lane selection. Just something to think about.

11.4.2 is bad. Really really bad. Its lane selection is the worst of any FSD beta release ever. On a simple 4 mile drive today in the suburbs I had 7 disengagements due to it selecting the right turning lane at intersections where we want to go straight. Weirdly, when it does this there is no “changing lanes to follow route” message on the screen. I have seen this behavior at some intersections before, but now it is doing it at even more intersections. Seriously?! I know it’s a hard problem but we are 3 years in now with FSD beta and it’s the worst it’s ever been. Is this ai team really all that great? I know FSD is a significantly harder problem, but there are other a.i. products out there that are actually useful now (think chatGPT.) Again, I know that human communication is significantly easier, but I feel like it is impossible to trust the FSD team at this point seeing as how we have made little-to-no progress really over the past few years regarding lane selection. Just something to think about.
Curious. While I have plenty of issues with 11.4.2, I find lane selection to be notably improved over recent versions in the DFW area.

And on the flip side, people like me are getting better and better with each release. Less PBs, smoother acceleration and deceleration. Better performance on cut ins and outs, smoother turns.

Yes there are odd decisions occasionally like lane selection, but I understand they are working heavily on the planner NN, so I expect this and allow for it, disengaging and reporting as needed for training.

This is the same behavior I had the day before I had a near perfect drive the very next day. I do not understand why this happens but it obviously does.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin and Dennisis
I’ve had a pretty terrible experience as well with 11.4.2 the things that used to do really well. It does terribly now and I have a ton of disengagement. What the hell are those people doing? If it was working before, why would they change it if they see there’s no disengagement for a particular maneuver, or road why mess with it? I don’t get it! It’s hard not to cuss out the voice reporting function.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc and D Good
It seems to come and go for me. Same stretch of road (freeway) would be fine and then not and then fine again.
Some things that trigger the oscillations:

Going straight, no hands on the wheel = smooth.
Wheel nag pops up, and I touch the wheel to clear, oscillations start.

I approach a semi or a semi approaches, car moves away... when semi is gone and car returns to center, oscillations start.

When the highway has an ongoing left or right turn, oscillations start. Car no longer maintains curvatures on highways without oscillating within the lane.
The moment I disengage (NoA or FSDb) I can maintain the highway turn with one finger without feeling any oscillation.