Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
You never know. You can try it when nobody is around and it’s absolutely safe. I won’t be surprised if it runs or even stops at last second.
No. It runs the stop sign. It does not stop at the last second.

Example of full failure in April: Speed has been dropped manually to 10mph, it maintains speed as it runs through the stop sign. Puts on a turn signal as it enters road.

2023-04-30_run1.jpg
2023-04-30_run2.jpg
2023-04-30_run3.jpg
2023-04-30_run4.jpg

Last edited:
So far I'm not seeing great results from V11.4.3. Here it cuts off a car during the very first turn. Stop short and creep remains a crap shoot.

I’ve been following “Black Tesla” as he tests the Junk on a refreshed S, and not a 3/Y. Data points still seem to suggest the Junk is “junkier” on the refreshed S/Y than perhaps 3/Y.

Reactions: Pdubs and Ramphex
I’ve been following “Black Tesla” as he tests the Junk on a refreshed S, and not a 3/Y. Data points still seem to suggest the Junk is “junkier” on the refreshed S/Y than perhaps 3/Y.
As expected. But the 3/Y owners will never believe us and think just because their expedience might be okay, that ours HAS to be. I appreciate the positive thinking that FSDj might come out of beta one day, but I’m willing to bet it won’t be, not in our current cars lifetime.

As expected. But the 3/Y owners will never believe us and think just because their expedience might be okay, that ours HAS to be. I appreciate the positive thinking that FSDj might come out of beta one day, but I’m willing to bet it won’t be, not in our current cars lifetime.
Well, if you don’t post here, in this thread, that you have the same experience, you also must be “illiterate or a troll” then, right?! 🤌🤣🥳

Your key point is spot on. You will not get your $10,000 worth of L2.5, L3, 4 or 5…. But @WilliamG might! 😂
“FSDj might come out of beta one day, but I’m willing to bet it won’t be, not in our current cars lifetime.”

In general I’ve found the braking behavior for yellow lights in V11.3.6+ to be very appropriate. .....

If the yellow light was a close call for you then any car following you should definitely have been expecting/starting to brake anyway and your braking should not have been a surprise.

I don't have enough experience with FSDb and lights to comment. The reason for that is I strongly dislike the car's tendency to drive up to a light at full speed and then brake firmly. Yes, it stops, but it doesn't drive the way I drive. I will admit the way I drive (slowing down when there is a red light ahead and 'coasting' - in the Tesla finessing the go-pedal - to a stop at the line so my passengers don't move forward at all in their seats) while the most energy efficient for an ICE may lose the opportunity for the most regen. As well, while my method is easier on tires, since I live in a salt-use area, the Tesla method would help keep the brakes in better shape.

As for your second point: as I made my post yesterday, I realized this and it made me feel better about my instinct to stop and not checking immediately before braking for a car behind me. I tend to be a defensive driver and the fact that I hadn't done the mirror check in the fraction of a second I had before I would have to hit the brakes in order to stop bothered me when questioned by my passenger. I think my passenger was just 'gun shy' since he had just been hit a few months ago in a similar situation and thought I might have behaved the way I had because I knew the car would protect me from being rear-ended.

Reactions: sleepydoc
So far I'm not seeing great results from V11.4.3. Here it cuts off a car during the very first turn. Stop short and creep remains a crap shoot. FSD really needs to stop at the crosswalk for better visibility.

So @kabin what is your reaction to the Black Tesla's summary starting at 9:25 since his first impressions of v11.4.3 were more positive then his typical post when trying a new build?

Reactions: vamike and EVNow
In that case, can we please close this thread? We're all just providing anecdotal evidence, after all. FSD is perfect, - we're just all wrong.
There is nothing wrong with anecdotes per se, and indeed they can be informative or suggestive. But they are not evidence in the strict sense. I'm fine with people saying "my experience is X". but when they then jump from that to "and so XXX is garbage" or similar they are extrapolating from one example to a general case, which is almost NEVER a valid jump.

Sheesh. You missed one group…. Those that run their mouth (fingers) off in blind love. FSD is godly and Elon is a Demigod.
Come now, people can disagree with you without automatically being a shill for Tesla. FSD is far from perfect, but it's also not a death-trap, so why not just discuss how it can improve over a (virtual) beer instead of throwing stones? FSD is part of an exciting experiment, which may or may not yield, but I for one am enjoying the ride. Did I pay too much to get on the ride? Perhaps, but that's a personal choice.

I've been meaning to ask for a while now and my apologizes to this forum if this has already been asked and answered.

Is it okay in your opinion to activate an FSD Beta drive without using navigation? I do this frequently and I am not bothered with having to exit FSD Beta either because of a safety intervention or I just want to take a different route. Any thoughts about this matter are welcome.

Or.. And I hate to say this, but I'm a refugee from the old Tesla.com forums. A bunch of us over there had come to the conclusion that there were paid trolls hanging out: One user name, for example, with multiple writing styles that would post 24/7, or close to it. Some of whom, it was discovered, posted on other EV forums attempting the same malarky, wording, and images. The activities of these people, some of whom probably were just garden-variety trolls, eventually led to Tesla shutting down those forums.

These.. entities.. probably didn't go away just because Tesla shut down their main play space. It is noted that Tesla has famously (until very recently) never done advertising. This means that potential buyers search the web to get information about the car. Google and other search engines index forums like this one. And what would be better for a corporate entity tasked with Slowing Down BEV adoption to have the prime forums discussing the car filled with posters screaming, "Junk! It's Dangerous! Don't Use It If You Value Your Life!".

OK, I get it. Some people do have excessive problems with FSD-b. Heck, I've posted here with info on near-accidents, red-light running, and all that. But.. it is a beta. And, frankly, with an old (relatively speaking) 2018 M3 that should probably be performing worse than everybody else's stuff. But that doesn't appear to be the case with some of the more vociferous posters around here, whose cars appear to be death traps. Which is definitely not the case with my daily driver on Beta which has been all over the eastern half of the U.S.. Bugs, yes. Death and destruction? Nope.

We, unlike the Tesla.com forums, do have moderators with teeth. So the same level of egregious conduct that was de rigure over at the tesla.com hangout wouldn't be tolerated here. Which implies that, if we do have paid-for trolls hanging about, they'd definitely have to tone it down quite a bit. But it wouldn't necessarily stop them.

So, no proof, either way. But sometimes a little paranoia is in order, because sometimes they are out to get you.
Yes, [email protected] was a cesspool and should have been either shut down or moderated much sooner. There were “regulars” there that were anything but “regular”. Back in the day (2019), I posted many times on that forum for the norms to join me over on the well-moderated TMC forum. Don’t believe me, look it up as all of the historical posts were still there, last time I checked.

I've been meaning to ask for a while now and my apologizes to this forum if this has already been asked and answered.

Is it okay in your opinion to activate an FSD Beta drive without using navigation? I do this frequently and I am not bothered with having to exit FSD Beta either because of a safety intervention or I just want to take a different route. Any thoughts about this matter are welcome.
It is perfectly fine to use FSDb without a destination set.

I'm having mixed results with 11.4.2 where I live. I find it's suddenly making a lot of strange routing choices but drives well for the most part. It's also doing some bad lane choices compared to 11.3.6. If I'm being honest, I think 11.3.6 has been the best build for me, so far.