Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Shadow of the cars A pillar relative to the fence indicates where your cars position was when you take the B pillar view which clearly indicates that your driver picture was taken with the car sitting way ahead of the car position when the B pillar view was taken. You should take the B pillar view at the car position when you take your driver view picture. That's assuming that you take both pictures at the same time with the sun casting the same relative shadow on the ground.
I've tried to check this several times on my own and have to see a significant issue. I have my seat all the way back so my head is already pretty close to the B pillar but when I've been at blind intersections I look at the actual difference between what I see when I'm sitting back vs leaning forward I never see a huge change. ultimately, such intersections generally require judicious creeping which FSD should be able to do. Whether it actually can I is a different story.

Model Y. Again, 2 feet is a very short distance. I'm not saying the car isn't creeping further than 2 feet. It doesn't have to in order to gain the same viewing angle you had.
You certainly have a point. It's just too bad that Tesla didn't avoid this whole problem by having cameras that are making decisions on crossing traffic closer to the front of the car. At this intersection I have had FSD launch many times with cars coming right at me requiring disengagements. So if V12 can really improve the creep a lot of the problem can go away. But not all since there are other worse intersections where the obstruction is even more difficult.

Is this thread going to end? :)

So what happens to v11.4.8?
!!!

you mean Elon's '2 weeks' was actually 2 weeks???!!!

From the linked article, "V12 is eliminating over 300,000 lines of code previously governing FSD functions that controlled the vehicle, replaced by further reliance on neural networks." That's a major shift so it will be interesting to see how it affects performance.

You certainly have a point. It's just too bad that Tesla didn't avoid this whole problem by having cameras that are making decisions on crossing traffic closer to the front of the car. At this intersection I have had FSD launch many times with cars coming right at me requiring disengagements. So if V12 can really improve the creep a lot of the problem can go away. But not all since there are other worse intersections where the obstruction is even more difficult.
Or it can use the repeater camera at an angle while creeping, mine does this on some hard intersections.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Or it can use the repeater camera at an angle while creeping, mine does this on some hard intersections.
Does anybody understand why Teslas don't have cameras in the front of the car? Especially after the USS were deleted, but even when those were still there, seems like an obvious omission for a car that bets so much on Vision.

Does anybody understand why Teslas don't have cameras in the front of the car? Especially after the USS were deleted, but even when those were still there, seems like an obvious omission for a car that bets so much on Vision.
Most people think bumper cameras will constantly get dirty. My earlier post might work, or cameras inside the glass housing of the headlights with a water washer might work. Or a reconfigured, or 2nd repeater looking forward and sideways.

They will add additional cameras after the software is done. The engineers want to work with limited resources first. Then some day new car models suddenly jump to perfection to lure new customers. They don't want to show all weapons now.

Reactions: heapmaster
Anything on the front of the car would be horribly susceptible to dirt. In MN anything below the bottom of the window would be useless for 6 months out of the year because of continuous road spray. it might be possible to put something on the A pillar but it would have to be on a lateral rather than forward-facing surface. In General, the A pillar is pretty narrow so it wouldn't fit a camera like the B pillar has without a redesign that would compromise visibility for the driver.

The issue is perception vs planning. Perception might be okay, but the planner is launching. We don't know yet.

Anything on the front of the car would be horribly susceptible to dirt. In MN anything below the bottom of the window would be useless for 6 months out of the year because of continuous road spray. it might be possible to put something on the A pillar but it would have to be on a lateral rather than forward-facing surface. In General, the A pillar is pretty narrow so it wouldn't fit a camera like the B pillar has without a redesign that would compromise visibility for the driver.
There was a recent DirtyTesla and AIDriver youtube video where DirtyTesla talked about the HW4 repeater/front_fender cameras now getting dirtier than the previous versions.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc