Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
HW4 MY LR AWD:
I will say, 11.4.9 has probably been the best FSD public release so far. I have had it since the “holiday” release, and haven’t put it to the test until the last few weeks. It’s definitely better in a lot of the “trouble” spots I’ve had in previous builds. Rural areas still exhibit the same issues I’ve had for years (since 10.2/3). But overall, it’s been pretty good. Scrub away the apprehension of vehicles that pose no threat to you, and the still stupid almost coming to a complete stop while making some turns, and it would be pretty ok. Still some blatant issues, but over all, ok.

V12, please be able to pass pedestrians/cyclists without cutting the speed back like 50-75%! These are minor issues that are still issues, and need to be fixed for it to be more “human like”.

It still camps out in the passing lane on highways, and sometimes does not want to move over for faster traffic behind you. This has been the most annoying, because in NYS, we have a “move over law”. Legacy NoA seemed to move out of the passing lane way quicker. And that was on HW3 cameras. HW4 should technically “see” better. O read that V12 on highways is the same as V11, so no benefit there. Well, off to bed, I’ve got sxs’s to drive all day tomorrow and a vintage snowmobile show to attend Saturday in the rain!

It still camps out in the passing lane on highways, and sometimes does not want to move over for faster traffic behind you. This has been the most annoying, because in NYS, we have a “move over law”. Legacy NoA seemed to move out of the passing lane way quicker. And that was on HW3 cameras. HW4 should technically “see” better. O read that V12 on highways is the same as V11, so no benefit there. Well, off to bed, I’ve got sxs’s to drive all day tomorrow and a vintage snowmobile show to attend Saturday in the rain!
Are you in "assertive"? The profile affects how quickly & when it moves out of the passing lane. I've found that I prefer the larger following distances of the chill profile, but it moves to the right too much for me in that profile. I end up frequently switching profiles while driving based on what I want FSD Beta to do.

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum and new to Tesla. Just started FSDb (3 month trial) 11.4.9 on my MYLR a few weeks ago. It's put me in some dangerous situations but fortunately I've had time to react so far. One issue I've seen several times is its reluctance to use the shoulder lane on highways.

For example, when turning onto one of my state's highways (Rt 17 in NJ) from a local road (from a stop sign, not a merge lane), it should use the shoulder to build speed before merging in, but it wants to turn directly into the right lane of the highway. This is dangerous because the other cars are traveling at about 50 mph. Also it won't use the shoulder to turn onto a local road (this is a case without an exit ramp, just a sharp right turn). Instead it will come to a near stop in the right lane of the highway in order to slow down enough to make the turn, which again on the highway is super dangerous.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Hi, all. I'm new to the forum and new to Tesla. Just started FSDb (3 month trial) 11.4.9 on my MYLR a few weeks ago. It's put me in some dangerous situations but fortunately I've had time to react so far. One issue I've seen several times is its reluctance to use the shoulder lane on highways.

For example, when turning onto one of my state's highways (Rt 17 in NJ) from a local road (from a stop sign, not a merge lane), it should use the shoulder to build speed before merging in, but it wants to turn directly into the right lane of the highway. This is dangerous because the other cars are traveling at about 50 mph. Also it won't use the shoulder to turn onto a local road (this is a case without an exit ramp, just a sharp right turn). Instead it will come to a near stop in the right lane of the highway in order to slow down enough to make the turn, which again on the highway is super dangerous.

Probably just not supported. It will now use the bike lane to slow down from Spring Canyon to take right onto Sunset Ridge. Oftentimes it bobs rapidly around with unimportant microcorrections left and right while doing so (so can’t use with passengers). It signals but far too late.

It did not used to do this. Closer to correct now.

But if the space is not where it wants to be it won’t use it.

It’s got years to go.

Last edited:
I'm guessing (even though it is safer to do) it would be a traffic violation to drive on the shoulder. It definitely is in California. You'll have to wait for a large enough gap in the traffic.

I do recall driving in NJ and indeed it can be a pain to merge onto such a road with continuous traffic at 50mph, I would never trust FSDb to be able to do that.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I'm guessing (even though it is safer to do) it would be a traffic violation to drive on the shoulder. It definitely is in California. You'll have to wait for a large enough gap in the traffic.

I do recall driving in NJ and indeed it can be a pain to merge onto such a road with continuous traffic at 50mph, I would never trust FSDb to be able to do that.
I'm honestly not sure what the law is in NJ regarding using the shoulder to enter or exit the highway. I suppose if you were very patient you could wait for a large enough opening, But in the case of making a sharp turn off the highway without a dedicated exit lane, it becomes even more necessary to travel through the shoulder. Attached is an example of a turn FSDb will attempt from the right lane instead of the shoulder. Again, the cars behind you are traveling at 50 mph. I've yet to see anyone make this turn without using the shoulder.
road.png

Reactions: PACEMD

I hate when people move here from Jersey

Are you in "assertive"? The profile affects how quickly & when it moves out of the passing lane. I've found that I prefer the larger following distances of the chill profile, but it moves to the right too much for me in that profile. I end up frequently switching profiles while driving based on what I want FSD Beta to do.
I’ve always left it on “average”, I’ll give chill a try.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin
What makes anyone think this has anything to do with the specific car? Just because they use the word Waymo? A random car gets vandalized, how about a story that goes with that? Or do we all live on assumptions in modern times?

These might be wayward kids but there's been a few stories about underground movements discouraging robotaxis in the SF area and it included Cruise robotaxis. One SF group is called Safe Street Rebels.

One could only imagine how robots will be pummeled in the future. So much for automation and efficiency if we need a security guard following each robot.