Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I just created this thread:

I just created this thread:

Thanks for the report, I marked it informative - but why put it in a separate thread? Why not the existing v12 thread?

Reactions: Yelobird
Thanks for the report, I marked it informative - but why put it in a separate thread? Why not the existing v12 thread?
Because the other V12 thread is actually for pre V12. It has a lot of speculations not based on the real behaviors of V12. I thought it's easier for us to have a specific thread to report and discuss V12 real behaviors to identify progress and bugs.

Because the other V12 thread is actually for pre V12. It has a lot of speculations not based on the real behaviors of V12. I thought it's easier for us to have a specific thread to report and discuss V12 real behaviors to identify progress and bugs.
Fair enough, and please understand I'm not just trying to be a pain about it - I just want some hope of a long-term evolving thread. You titled the thread very specifically (narrowly) as on 12.2.1. So I would suggest "FSD 12.x Experience Reporting" or similar. If you agree, I think you can ask the mods to change it. If not that's fine and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again and I hope to get it so I can contribute!

Hope to post on V12.x /12.2.x in "near future." Some of cars will be the last ones to get the update. The FSD was so bad this past week on nearby local roads that I had always used FSD before without too many issues I had to disengage numerous times. Hoping to bury this V11 and put a tombstone :)

Reactions: rlsd
Fair enough, and please understand I'm not just trying to be a pain about it - I just want some hope of a long-term evolving thread. You titled the thread very specifically (narrowly) as on 12.2.1. So I would suggest "FSD 12.x Experience Reporting" or similar. If you agree, I think you can ask the mods to change it. If not that's fine and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again and I hope to get it so I can contribute!
Good idea. Please change thread title. Thanks

Great, then we will lose all the L5 and meaning of “Drive” dialog. Umphh.

It's really unfortunate that FSD doesn't avoid potholes. The car hit a big one this weekend on the interstate and dented and cracked my wheel. If FSD wasn't on, I would have at least taken my foot off the accelerator or maybe even had time to swerve, but FSD proceeded as if nothing was different. I was on a weekend trip away, so it was a pain having to deal with a wheel replacement in order to get home 😢

1708443774405.png
1708443801660.png

It's really unfortunate that FSD doesn't avoid potholes. The car hit a big one this weekend on the interstate and dented and cracked my wheel. If FSD wasn't on, I would have at least taken my foot off the accelerator or maybe even had time to swerve, but FSD proceeded as if nothing was different. I was on a weekend trip away, so it was a pain having to deal with a wheel replacement in order to get home 😢
Ouch! How expensive is the new wheel? Is the pothole in an area where you can perhaps get some compensation from the government for the damage?

Reactions: johnny_cakes

View attachment 1020116 View attachment 1020117
Sorry to hear, that really sucks! Curious, were you purposely letting FSD do its thing to see if it would avoid the pothole or not?

Asking because I had a similar instance where FSD didn’t give a wide enough turn for a kerb, but I took over at the last second to avoid getting damaged rims.. else I could’ve been in the same situation as you.

Since then, I always recommend Tesla owners take over when they know FSD is going to screw up, even if minor — unless they’re sponsored by Tesla in some way to learn FSD mistakes and pay for damages (which I really doubt is a thing..)

Last edited:
Should this thread have been split? It was created in 2021 with plenty of discussion before any of us got 11.x in 2023, and there's been plenty of discussion of 11.x behaviors in here too.
up until now this thread has been speculation about what V12 would be, how they would program it, what the meaning of ‘drive’ is and other pertinent topics. Now that people besides Omar are actually getting V12 I think it makes sense to have a thread with actual experiences and discussion vs speculation.

Sorry to hear, that really sucks! Curious, were you purposely letting FSD do its thing to see if it would avoid the pothole or not?

Asking because I had a similar instance where FSD didn’t give a wide enough turn for a kerb, but I took over at the last second to avoid getting damaged rims.. else I could’ve been in the same situation as you.

Since then, I always recommend Tesla owners take over when they know FSD is going to screw up, even if minor — unless they’re sponsored by Tesla in some way to learn FSD mistakes and pay for damages (which I really doubt is a thing..)
Was just using FSD as I normally would. I almost never turn it on in the city (too many close calls for that), but I often like to turn it on on long stretches of the highway. I'll need to be more careful.