Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Computer Upgrade and Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Intl Professor

May 17, 2013
California
We purchased FSD with or M3 Long Range Premium AWD delivered in late September, 2018. Today I used the service function from my cell phone asking for an upgrade and installation of the new computer. After some detailed questions I was offered home garage installation on June 25th at a 2 hour window which I chose. (Other later dates and times were also offered.)

I'm 82 and a potential if not real danger on the road. The system as it is works well on our freeways at less than the mad max mode. Some anxiety provoking even so, and one time near a steep drop off without Autopilot on a narrow levee road I steered a bit close to the narrow shoulder and the car forcefully moved itself toward the center dividing line. Very impressive. Therefore, I look forward to even safer driving as the year progresses with the new hardware for Autopilot.

Very impressed they're going to do this at home.

We purchased FSD with or M3 Long Range Premium AWD delivered in late September, 2018. Today I used the service function from my cell phone asking for an upgrade and installation of the new computer. After some detailed questions I was offered home garage installation on June 25th at a 2 hour window which I chose. (Other later dates and times were also offered.)

I'm 82 and a potential if not real danger on the road. The system as it is works well on our freeways at less than the mad max mode. Some anxiety provoking even so, and one time near a steep drop off without Autopilot on a narrow levee road I steered a bit close to the narrow shoulder and the car forcefully moved itself toward the center dividing line. Very impressive. Therefore, I look forward to even safer driving as the year progresses with the new hardware for Autopilot.

Very impressed they're going to do this at home.

Congrats! You must be one of the first.

Please let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Today I used the service function from my cell phone asking for an upgrade and installation of the new computer. After some detailed questions I was offered home garage installation on June 25th at a 2 hour window which I chose. (Other later dates and times were also offered.)
awesome. hadn't heard they were doing this yet. Might be a sign they will start taking advantage of HW3 hardware.

Reactions: EinSV
I intend to do so, although don't expect much as we really don't use freeways muchly. I was really surprised it is now available although I estimated (learned and forgot I learned?) it would be available in three months.
Do you not use it in city roads ? I use it all the time. Keeps lane, keeps speed and doesn't hit someone in the front - all three useful and makes usual distracted driving less unsafe.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm 82 and a potential if not real danger on the road.

I’m not sure if this is what you meant to say but if you are a real danger on the road you should not be relying on FSD to make you a safe driver. It is not intended to replace the human driver yet and in some cases it requires you to be an even better driver than someone who does not have FSD because you have to be able to react quickly when it makes a mistake. Are you using this for the right purpose?

There are no features within FSD that take advantage of HW3 yet so I’m not sure what you are accomplishing by doing the upgrade.

There are no features within FSD that take advantage of HW3 yet so I’m not sure what you are accomplishing by doing the upgrade.

I didn’t think that is the case. If you have a brand new Tesla and I only have auto pilot (not the earlier EAP package) you do get something out of buying full self driving. You get NOA now and advanced summon soon.

Reactions: preilly44
Do you not use it in city roads ? I use it all the time.

You are explicitly not supposed to, per the owners manual.

The system does not properly react to or recognize traffic lights, traffic signs, oncoming traffic, cross-traffic, turn lanes, and many pedestrians and bicycles among the many many reasons that is so.

You are explicitly not supposed to, per the owners manual.

The system does not properly react to or recognize traffic lights, traffic signs, oncoming traffic, cross-traffic, turn lanes, and many pedestrians and bicycles among the many many reasons that is so.
I should say suburban/ex-urban - not really city (with little traffic, no pedestrians or cyclists).

ps : Tesla knows exactly where we are, in terms of freeway or local roads. They know the speed limits and they allow us to use auto-steer. They even make sure the speed is no more than street speed+5, which is really nice. I'm really looking forward to traffic signal/stop sign recognition (and then City NOA).

@Intl Professor Congrats on the upcoming upgrade. Looking forward to hearing about the process and your thoughts regarding any improvements.

I’m not sure if this is what you meant to say but if you are a real danger on the road you should not be relying on FSD to make you a safe driver. It is not intended to replace the human driver yet and in some cases it requires you to be an even better driver than someone who does not have FSD because you have to be able to react quickly when it makes a mistake. Are you using this for the right purpose?

Somewhat joking question. You're from Cali. During your commute, how many drivers were not a danger to others?

Besides, I think that he's just trying to make his blushing bride more comfortable driving their M3 or him more comfortable when she's driving. ;)

I now live in what would probably be considered to be a low density suburban and occasional rural neighborhood with many two lane twisty roads. I occasionally use NoA but find it very hit and miss here. I very frequently use CC though.

Do you not use it in city roads ? I use it all the time. Keeps lane, keeps speed and doesn't hit someone in the front - all three useful and makes usual distracted driving less unsafe.

Somewhat joking question. You're from Cali. During your commute, how many drivers were not a danger to others?

++

I don't think a lot of people realize just how LOW the standards are for driving in many states. If they weren't I don't think society would be able to cope with the wave of effectively-disabled/unemployable people who would be disqualified. Where I live it is basically impossible to function without a car.

I was married to somebody who barely met the field of view requirements after recovering somewhat from a stroke, and had impaired night vision due to retina treatments (night vision is not regulated as far as I'm aware, or at least not to a degree keeping her from passing a thorough vision test). She usually tried to avoid driving at night, but I'm sure she was at a might higher risk of getting into an accident than the average person. She probably would have benefited a great deal from even the limited autopilot capabilities in a M3.

There are plenty of people on the roads who are at an increased risk of being in an accident and it is completely legal for them to be driving. Any kind of automation that reduces the risk of accidents is going to save lives, even if it isn't perfect, or even better than an "average" driver since not all drivers are average in the first place.

Reactions: A2be and FarmerDave
I didn’t think that is the case. If you have a brand new Tesla and I only have auto pilot (not the earlier EAP package) you do get something out of buying full self driving. You get NOA now and advanced summon soon.
All those features exist with HW 2+ (NOA, autopark, simple summon). Many of us didn’t pay for FSD initially and have only EAP. As of release 2019.20.X, there is no difference between HW2+ FSD and EAP. Like you said, advanced summon is supposed to be here this fall (run through the Elon time to real time, next summer more likely). That will be the first feature HW3 and FSD will be required to enable.

All those features exist with HW 2+ (NOA, autopark, simple summon). Many of us didn’t pay for FSD initially and have only EAP. As of release 2019.20.X, there is no difference between HW2+ FSD and EAP. Like you said, advanced summon is supposed to be here this fall (run through the Elon time to real time, next summer more likely). That will be the first feature HW3 and FSD will be required to enable.
Enhanced/Advanced Summon doesn't require HW3. Easy Access has it already on 2.5 cars.

Enhanced/Advanced Summon doesn't require HW3. Easy Access has it already on 2.5 cars.

Agreed, at the current level that Enhanced Summon works for EA members - that is, driving very slowly through a parking lot.

With FSD/HW3, Enhanced Summon will likely be able to allow the car to drive faster and more safely given the higher processing power - meaning, the FSD computer can process more frames per second and run its self-driving algorithms faster.

Given the hesitation from Elon/Tesla to release Enhanced Summon to the public beyond Early Access, it may very well be that they end up only releasing it to cars with HW3.