Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about how the FSD rewrite affects highway driving. Is highway driving L3 now?
That is a great question. I would doubt it now, but I would assume that will be the first thing to change as far as experience once it rolls out to the rest of us.

Stupid question, but L3 highway would mean no need for constant touching of steering wheel on the highway and then some kind of notice that you need to take over in a certain period of time if it can't handle a certain situation, right?

Reactions: DanCar
Stupid question, but L3 highway would mean no need for constant touching of steering wheel on the highway and then some kind of notice that you need to take over in a certain period of time if it can't handle a certain situation, right?

Not a stupid question. Yeah, that sounds about right. L3 means that under certain conditions, the car is fully autonomous so the human in the driver seat does not need to touch the wheel or even pay attention to the road. But L3 does require that the human in the driver seat take over when requested to do so.

Reactions: Microterf
Man, imagine all those people doubting Elon all this time that kept repeating Tesla needs Lidar and that Waymo will be first to FSD...

I would be feeling pretty rediculous looking back at all the time I insulted others who had faith in Tesla to get it done, to have FSD in every Tesla be end of 2020...

well done Tesla, this has changed the game.

Waymo was first to FSD. Waymo achieved FSD in 2015. Now, Waymo has driverless FSD.

Tesla has FSD beta.

Waymo was first to FSD. Waymo achieved FSD in 2015. Now, Waymo has driverless FSD.

Tesla has FSD beta.
Driverless FSD in a town in the desert with $150k+ minivans is not FSD.
let’s say it’s not generalized FSD.
it’s an obvious shortcut that Waymo chose an area with no precipitation.

let me re-iterate. Tesla is the first to GENERALIZED FSD. Waymo is pre-beta, it’s only available to a tiny clientele in one town in the desert and you can’t buy a car with it.

Tesla is the first at putting a generalized FSD beta that requires constant monitoring in consumer cars.
Yup, keep doubting....this is fun.
It’s Tesla’s first release and their FSD beta will be running & learning on more cars in the next 2 months than Waymo could ever dream of.
Their beta will also be running on cars all over the world, not just 25 cities being driven by engineers.

Tesla will also be the first to unsupervised generalized FSD (aka, useful FSD, Not just a science experiment). 2021 is going to be an exciting year.

With all respect (you bring up at lot of interesting topics, seriously you are high up on my own personal rank): call it whatever you want, I call it AWESOME!

It is totally awesome. Tesla has feature complete FSD. Our cars can drive themselves, make turns at intersections, follow routes, make lane changes on city streets, avoid obstacles. It is amazing! But I do think what I wrote is an accurate description of what Tesla has released so far. It is generalized FSD. But it is beta and requires driver supervision. I don't think that is in dispute.

Wonder if Navigate on Autopilot now required to be used for all roads? Seems to be redundant with FSD.
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 7.38.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 7.41.19 AM.png