Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're not, and they won't be. This rewrite is a good step forward but it's nowhere near safe enough to be released in the wild. It does however create just enough hype for the true believers to justify to themselves paying $10k for it. Go team elon!

I don't think it's about selling the FSD option now. I think it's the usual Elon strategy of forcing products out the door to accelerate development.

I find this software surprisingly under cooked, but that makes the release more interesting. Does it really miss cross traffic, or would the car slam on the brakes at the last minute? Exciting times.

Reactions: DanCar
I don't think it's about selling the FSD option now. I think it's the usual Elon strategy of forcing products out the door to accelerate development.

I find this software surprisingly under cooked, but that makes the release more interesting. Does it really miss cross traffic, or would the car slam on the brakes at the last minute? Exciting times.
Agree it's undercooked but this is the first release after alpha. It also does represent a "quantum leap" and definitely exceeded my expectations.

Seems obvious a release to everyone won't happen by end of year. Will be interesting to see how fast they improve it.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
[note: the logic disconnect, Tesla has mules with actual physical lidar out driving in public for whatever reason, and THAT is not embarrassing to them. but having a more powerful radar needs to be "hidden to save face" ]
Hey geniuses, can you please explain how Tesla feels perfectly fine rolling mules with Lidar and other sensors around, but then somehow would be embarrassed to let you know they are looking at new radar units? (why would they need to save face?)

I will wait:
upload_2020-10-23_15-31-45.png

@Daniel in SD @Cheburashka @GoSharks @Silicon Desert

somehow would be embarrassed to let you know they are looking at new radar units? (why would they need to save face?)

Yea it's odd logic. Tesla has been developing new FSD hardware constantly since 2016, so we're now saying they were trying to save face by hiding hw3 and now saving face again by hiding hw4? I don't understand when the saving face began, lol. Better radar is an obvious development. Tesla probably has new camera sensors in the timeline as well.

Since hw2 came out, Tesla has constantly improved fsd hardware, from the radar heater to more defogging lines on the front cameras, etc.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I clearly see Tesla desire for high definition active sensors. I also clearly see Elon declaring a particular subset of those sensors are universally bad.

But it isn't the high definition or the point cloud of lidar that Elon doesn't like, it is that it uses the visible spectrum. Radar uses a non-visible spectrum that can penetrate some things, like rain/snow/dust/etc. which is why Elon prefers it.

But it isn't the high definition or the point cloud of lidar that Elon doesn't like, it is that it uses the visible spectrum. Radar uses a non-visible spectrum that can penetrate some things, like rain/snow/dust/etc. which is why Elon prefers it.

Is that what he said? Because what I remember is Musk said that cameras/vision (And not high res radar) trumps lidar.

Hey geniuses, can you please explain how Tesla feels perfectly fine rolling mules with Lidar and other sensors around, but then somehow would be embarrassed to let you know they are looking at new radar units? (why would they need to save face?)

I will wait:
View attachment 601723
@Daniel in SD @Cheburashka @GoSharks @Silicon Desert

I think I already covered this in a previous post. I'm not sure why you keep on pressing this issue. So far, based on the videos we see, there is little evidence that Tesla's camera-centric approach will deliver reliable FSD.

I'm not sure what test mules have to do with improving the sensor suite on a production vehicle. Elon said we can get FSD with the current sensor suite, but looks like they are (naturally) looking at improving the sensor suite too. Maybe it's because they can't actually get reliable FSD with what we have now, or maybe it's just a natural evolution of improving on a solid product. This is an open discussion.

Any idea when you’re going to be able to get your hands on a copy of the new beta? Would love to see your thoughts on it if you’re able to tear into it and see what’s new.
Tesla went into overdrive paranoia on this release for whatever reason.

I don't have a copy I run my car as the result. May be if that teslasv or wharever that account with the X in CA was would also let me poke at their car, I can get something I could also enjoy, not just look at ;)

Yes, that is what he said. He also said that you have to solve vision even with lidar so adding another visible spectrum sensor doesn't add anything.

Obviously you have to solve vision for any FSD.

‘Anyone relying on lidar is doomed,’ Elon Musk says – TechCrunch

There is some more explanation in this paragraph:

Andrej Karparthy, Senior Director of AI, took the stage and explained that the world is built for visual recognition. Lidar systems, he said, have a hard time deciphering between a plastic bag and a rubber tire. Large scale neural network training and visual recognition are necessary for Level 4 and Level 5 autonomy, he said.

I don't see how high res radar is any different in this case.

Tesla went into overdrive paranoia on this release for whatever reason.

I don't have a copy I run my car as the result. May be if that teslasv or wharever that account with the X in CA was would also let me poke at their car, I can get something I could also enjoy, not just look at ;)
Damn, too bad. Here’s hoping someone with the new beta is willing to let you take a peak. Always appreciate your insights, positive or negative.