Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it didn't. This is a screen grab from where he reacted like it was going to side-swipe the truck:

View attachment 602539

It looks like there is plenty of distance there, and it is going wider... I think, but am not sure, that it slowed down because it thought the truck was going to pull out on it. And that it was the sudden braking that they reacted to.

He is providing a lot of good video, but in some cases I think he is overreacting. In other cases he takes over just because it wouldn't drive exactly like he wants to. (In one case even complaining that it didn't break the road rules like he would have.)
It passes even closer to another car later in the video also. The point here ist that you and I would slow down before passing the truck, but FSD drove up to it in collision course, then did an semi-abrupt evasive and then suddenly braked "hard". Pretty uncomfortable for the passengers.

But it didn't. This is a screen grab from where he reacted like it was going to side-swipe the truck:

View attachment 602539

It looks like there is plenty of distance there, and it is going wider... I think, but am not sure, that it slowed down because it thought the truck was going to pull out on it. And that it was the sudden braking that they reacted to.

He is providing a lot of good video, but in some cases I think he is overreacting. In other cases he takes over just because it wouldn't drive exactly like he wants to. (In one case even complaining that it didn't break the road rules like he would have.)
I think the car is affraid of the break lights of the truck yes he have is foot on the break see all break lights.

View attachment 602539

Here's where it got somewhat close to an SUV. I wouldn't think twice about driving this close to a car on a tight street if someone was coming from the other direction. Of course this wasn't really a tight street and no one was coming from the other direction.
It would be far more terrifying when you're not sure if the car might suddenly move over a foot and you're the one that's going to be stuck with the bill!
I wonder how accurately they can position the car with the cameras? It seems like production tolerances could produce a large margin of error. To get human performance they really need to be able to get sub foot accuracy when driving on streets like that.
I think releasing it in this state is actually a good idea because it will keep people on their toes and the hype will be insane when it gets 100x better than this fairly quickly. Marketing genius.
The drone footage is amazing. Maybe they could upgrade HW3 vehicles in the future with an overhead drone assist in FSD? Also he fixed his interior camera position!

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 7.39.43 AM.png

Reactions: heltok and Hrtme
I think releasing it in this state is actually a good idea because it will keep people on their toes and the hype will be insane when it gets 100x better than this fairly quickly. Marketing genius.
We certainly hope that it gets better fairly quickly. On the other hand, we may find out exactly how difficult and time consuming it is to get above the current level. I do agree it is a great marketing move, but we may still be talking about the same problems a year from now. But it sure is fun to dream and I am excited to eventually get my hands on something like this (but hopefully even better by then!).

Reactions: diplomat33
It has 6 navigation cameras with significantly higher resolution than the Tesla. I guess it can actually autonomously follow a vehicle. I thought someone was flying it and avoiding those power lines. Pretty amazing.
And still no lidar! :)

and they can do all that with less cameras than a Tesla! dang Tesla needs to step up!

One thing that is exciting with the FSD Beta is that more people are getting a first row seat to FSD development and are also discovering the challenges with developing FSD. Up to now, FSD has been very theoretical for a lot of people. But now, with videos and hopefully wide release soon, Tesla owners will experience all the many cases that FSD has to solve and they can see first hand how difficult it is to achieve reliable and safe FSD.
You nailed it again. The openness with the FSD beta is astounding and represents a major flip/flop by Tesla for the good. It creates yet another huge contrast between Tesla and competitors. Particularly the raw visualization display.

Laying their cards on the table is very risky but I applaud the move. Of course, Negative Nellies are spinning it 100% in a cynical way.

Last edited:
What the neural network sees, thinks and what is visualized is not the same thing. If you look at the latest karpathy presentation often the output of the neural network is blurry, ie it thinks it is a 25% chance there is a barrier at position x,y.

A fun mental exercise, it might think there are either 2 or 3 lanes with equal likelihood, what will the neural network output? Answer it will make 3(1+2) 50% opacity lane markers making it look like 4 lanes. What should be visualized in this case? I think it just visualizes everything above a certain threshhold, say 50%, see for example some examples of cars disappearing and appearing in the visualization in the latest fsd clips being posted. But the neural networks sees and thinks about everything below this threshold also.
Thanks for that info and makes sense, but that isn't what I was referring to in my quote. The poster said that he thinks roundabouts are designed so a driver can't see the opposite side. I have never encountered that situation, and to me, it would seem that they would be designed so a driver can see the opposite rather than have it hidden. Thus, I would like to see such specs for the design of a roundabout that indicates the opposite side is designed to be hidden. I doubt that is the intended design, but hey, I can be wrong.

It's pretty clear (and you obviously have sources) that Tesla does not consider maps that they use as "HD maps" despite them containing quite detailed info that some might consider to be "hd maps" based on the amount of extra finegrained detail they have over "regular navigation maps". But, again, Tesla does not consider them "hd maps".

With that out of the way, you somehow seem to interpret my retweet in question as a statement that if Tesla is using hd maps, then their approach does not work without said hd maps, OR because Tesla approach does seem to be working everywhere in US - they therefore have HD maps of entire United States (which you don't believe yourself and therefore conclude that Tesla does not use hd maps based on this fact alone).
Because nothing like that was stated by me (or even tweets I retweeted) and because I find this notion ridiculous, I am trying to understand how come what I said could be misinterpreted in such a horrible way.

I sympathize with you, he did draw conclusions about what you were saying that you were not necessarily making explicitly. However, I think he's factoring in the Twitter context to what you're saying. You linked to an analysis by a TSLAQ member doing an analysis that 'proved' HD maps were in use, so that implies some level of agreement. I personally don't believe this analysis, if you're predicting an intersection or lane lines, you don't have to see them to predict them.

Also, at times, although I mostly find you very informative and appreciate all you do, you do come off a bit anti-Tesla at times, not just because you report on the negative things Tesla does, but you also tend to skew your language with assuming negative/lying intent on Tesla's part where I personally do not believe things were done maliciously as well.