Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would make sense to me to have an independent, procedural thread running alongside the NN-based nav (backing it up) just to look for emergencies and avoid things like collisions. I can't imagine that would be too compute-expensive a fail safe.

It would make sense to me to have an independent, procedural thread running alongside the NN-based nav (backing it up) just to look for emergencies and avoid things like collisions. I can't imagine that would be too compute-expensive a fail safe.
It’s almost like it’s not nothing but nets.

We know little about v12 other than its end to end net, it requires training data from ideal drivers, significant bugs remain, v12 has more dangerous interventions versus v11, and stop sign response seems more human like.

If I'm reading this correctly, Chuck might be properly peeved.

View attachment 1012969
For the past three years, it is always, "not quite ready," but will be a "brain-blow," soooooon.... Same 'ol, same 'ol story.

On TeslaFi it is showing 69 deployments today but almost all in Europe.

1000009440.jpg

One Improvement I'm looking for from v12: the ability to distinguish between light and heavy traffic, and to adjust decisions based on that.

For example, with UPLs (for which I keep a very tight rein in v11, and often avoid entirely), good human behavior is to pass up a small oncoming traffic gap, to wait for a more comfortable gap - that is either in sight already, or is expected due to the general traffic density at that particular location and time of day.

In my experience with v11, the ego car will often choose to make a marginally safe but unnecessary turn in front of an oncoming car. The choice to go would be perfectly acceptable and probably expected in heavy traffic, because everyone around knows you have to take those opportunities if you're ever going to complete the maneuver. However, in lighter traffic, the prudent and expected behavior is to pass up such a close-call turn and wait a little longer for the next large gap.

So many times I've approached a UPL or UPR (whethrr at a real traffic-light intersection or just at a residential road turn-in), and v11 will treat a lone oncoming car with the same safety-margin calculation that it would use in heavy traffic. Unnecessary, unexpected and unnerving for everyone. A good and comfortable human driver won't pull a maneuver like this, but simply wait for a clearer opportunity behind the oncoming car(s).

From everything we understand about v12 training and decision making, this kind of decision should be much improved. The clips from the teacher-drivers should intrinsically ally reflect the situational awareness that allows a tradeoff of go/no-go decisions vs. speed and distance of the hostile traffic.

It's not clear to me, however, that the exact decision threshold can easily be tied to a Chill/Average/Aggressive UI control. To do that would require much more extensive training data, with different aggressiveness ratings of teacher-drivers encountering very similar cases over and over, and then judging and classifying the aggressiveness so that the neural net could learn what kind of driver it's supposed to emulate based on the control setting at runtime.

(Does anyone know if the early v12 interface includes the aggressiveness control?)

For now, I agree with some of the arguments up-thread that say we should expect v12 to be trained on the cautious side - but specifically not to display the annoyingly cautious, hesitant kind of behavior that plagues v11 and actually makes it less safe when the cars are "negotiating" with other drivers and pedestrians. So far, the Whole Mars videos seem to bear this out, showing more of the confidence that's needed, without unsafe aggressiveness in dense SF driving. To me that's good news. But I haven't watched enough to say that there's noticeable Improvement in the UPL and UPR gap judgment (against higher speed traffic), which I'm also hoping for.

It's not clear to me, however, that the exact decision threshold can easily be tied to a Chill/Average/Aggressive UI control. To do that would require much more extensive training data, with different aggressiveness ratings of teacher-drivers encountering very similar cases over and over,
That might be possible from the videos they have. Let's say they have videos for 1b UPL's. Measure all, throw out the top/bottom 10%, cut remaing time-to-complete-turn into 3 categories connected to driver aggressiveness buttons. I know, it's likely down the road but from what I see in AI we'll have aggressiveness profiles of some kind.

Personally I'd love to upload my driving videos to the mothership nightly (which I probably do anyway) in exchange for an aggressiveness profile specific to me - i.e. on this road I drive limit plus 5, but on that road it's always limit -5 due to lots of kids. I know, that one might be a pipe dream.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
That might be possible from the videos they have. Let's say they have videos for 1b UPL's. Measure all, throw out the top/bottom 10%, cut remaing time-to-complete-turn into 3 categories connected to driver aggressiveness buttons. I know, it's likely down the road but from what I see in AI we'll have aggressiveness profiles of some kind.
Agreed, but I think we're both saying it may not happen in the initial deployments. I'm saying it requires enough data to do that classification, and I'm assuming that right now they're trying just to get to enough training data to deploy a safe AI driver. As you say, the step beyond is likely down the road.

But, there may be some features of the model that make it easier for the AI to judge aggressiveness and therefore adjust Its behavior at user request. Maybe tied into all the various confidence judgments that we're pretty sure are already part of the decision networks.
Personally I'd love to upload my driving videos to the mothership nightly (which I probably do anyway) in exchange for an aggressiveness profile specific to me - i.e. on this road I drive limit plus 5, but on that road it's always limit -5 due to lots of kids. I know, that one might be a pipe dream.
I've long wanted that kind of customization. Starting perhaps with an interface that allows us to submit our own map corrections and hints on our own familiar routes. But understandably, I think Tesla is trying to do all this learning from Fleet telemetry and not from any level of offline user programming.

Eventually this could lead to route planning and behavioral settings tied to individual operator behavior - but it feels pretty far "down the road"! :)

Most of us see and experience it behind the wheel. They add a new feature and we get regressions. And an almost endless number of 'edge cases' that are not resolved over any period of time and data training set.

I think Tesla has acknowledged training challenges and shortcomings. And again, v12 success will likely be even more dependent on optimal training if/when it lacks heuristic sanity checks.

Again, you're failing to distinguish between the part of FSD Beta that is currently trained via large amounts of data (perception), and the bit that is largely hand-coded (planning and control).

In all my testing of FSD Beta, very few cases of bad behavior were caused by the system not perceiving the environment. I'm reasonably confident that if you only gave a driver the FSD Beta visuals, they could operate the car much better than V11 does now.

You said "FSD training hasn't been TSLA's strong suit," but it's always been their strongest suit. The planning and control has always been the weakest, and now V12 largely removes that weak link in the chain.

We can only say that the Youtubers are testing here. Speaking for Tesla is pure speculation.
My meaning was that FSD has always been about expanding the features to secondary roads - autosteer on city streets. So, when V12, the seeming superior system, is out among customers, we should see more use of FSD on secondary roads. That should drive down the miles per accident figure because secondary road accidents are three times as common, per mile, as highway accidents.

It had nothing to do with speaking for Tesla and everything about an expectation of what will happen to the safety numbers when V12 is in common use.

That should drive down the miles per accident figure because secondary road accidents are three times as common, per mile, as highway accidents.
Yes, we’ll possibly see reduction in safety as measured by miles traveled per accident.

It is kind of crazy that they don’t break out City Streets stats separately.

But it is in keeping with them publishing no actual usable data on safety at all.

Reactions: legendsk