Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or perhaps an ex-employee by now.

He actually seems to have a Twitter account (Googled the YouTube username), and his interactions there are a bit weird.

First, when being accused of faking it, his first response is "How do you know?" instead of something like "I'm an employee, it's real."

And then he seems to say the nag is still there, despite the fact that we saw it go away without touching the wheel:

So I am wondering now if something like this could be faked with S3XY buttons to dismiss the nags (like Omar does). He could have also faked the software screen by displaying a full-screen image in the web browser or something.

He also refused to post the release notes, which would have been harder to fake as they would have involved scrolling the screen:

....He could have also faked the software screen by displaying a full-screen image in the web browser or something......
That would be one hell of a video fake since it even includes moiré and garage door background with LED lights fake reflecting off the screen.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 7.06.03 PM.png

You might already found out that you can steer by hooking your index fingers on the top edge notches. It's almost like just two fingers driving. If you do that, your left thumb will naturally fall on the "right" button.

Another thing I do when trying to touch the screen buttons, I hold the bottom/top edge with my fingers and use the thumb.
Small hands here. I usually rest my palms on the knobs at ether side top of yoke. I find this very comfortable. In this position my left thumb easily reaches the shift buttons without changing hand position. I’ve driven with the yoke so long there is no searching. My thumb knows exactly where each button is, it’s automatic. Similarly my right thumb operates buttons on the right side of the yoke no hands moving.

That would be one hell of a video fake since it even includes moiré and garage door background with LED lights fake reflecting off the screen.

It could be a real video of the screen, but what the screen is displaying could be fake. I'm not sure if it's possible to get a full-full screen web browser, but I know that it's possible to get a full-screen YouTube video, and we know this guy has a YouTube account. So he could:

1. Find a clean image of the software screen. Preferably from an HDMI-out mod.
2. Photoshop the text on the screenshot to your car's name and change the firmware version.
3. Make a private YouTube video of a 5 minute loop of this static photoshopped screenshot.
4. Login to YouTube on the car, play the video, and then full-screen it.

It could be a real video of the screen, but what the screen is displaying could be fake. I'm not sure if it's possible to get a full-full screen web browser, but I know that it's possible to get a full-screen YouTube video, and we know this guy has a YouTube account. So he could:

1. Find a clean image of the software screen. Preferably from an HDMI-out mod.
2. Photoshop the text on the screenshot to your car's name and change the firmware version.
3. Make a private YouTube video of a 5 minute loop of this static photoshopped screenshot.
4. Login to YouTube on the car, play the video, and then full-screen it.
The blue dot is an interesting touch to add real legitimacy. Maybe AI suggested that.

Humans have advanced generalized intelligence, where Tesla has highly specialized, task specific intelligence.
I think of it like this; humans have intelligence, and neural networks have trained instincts.

I believe that it will take multiple discrete neural networks, each trained for a specific domain (e.g. planning, control, perception, etc) that will lead to something that we would consider intelligent. One massive neural network is the sledge hammer approach. As the AI folks gain insights, they'll start to create those discrete neural networks. Serendipity may hold the answer as they're already playing with having a neural network explain what the control network is doing. I consider that the first step.

Reactions: Dewg
The logic seems to be:

If Home, set destination to Work, else set destination to Home.

Perhaps the car is not realizing it is at Home. That is, GPS is off, map data is off, or you inadvertently reset the home address.

Another possibility, you have selected a different profile unintentionally.
Thank you. I probably saw both options separately on different occasions and incorrectly recalled seeing both available at once.

Love how you interpret my "Thankfully we were already in the right lane and so moved partly onto the shoulder before control was regained." into "FSD changed lanes and it was halfway onto the shoulder"

The torque the driver provides was enough to pull the car partly onto the shoulder before steering the car back into its lane. Had the driver been driving without hands on the wheel, the move towards the shoulder would not have happened. Which actually seems like a flaw in the "driver attention monitoring" system since had the left hand been providing the torque the car would have pulled towards or into the left lane. How far the car moved towards the other lane or shoulder depends on the mood of FSD that day and whether it is hugging the centre line or the right line of the lane. Lately I've been pleased FSD has been traveling to the right side of the lane but I didn't notice if that is still true for 12.3.6. If it was, that would explain how quickly the car pulled onto the shoulder.

Remember the car was simultaneously slowing dramatically (since the system aborting FSD also engaged the regenerative braking.) You'll have to forgive the driver for not responding fast enough to meet your definition of "in control" when faced with a car pulling towards the shoulder while dramatically losing speed while a loud alarm and red flashing warning is happening. Steering straight came first, then returning to speed of traffic flow while moving fully back into the lane, and finally listening to me read the message to him from the screen.

If your definition of control is always both hands on the wheel, looking straight ahead and foot fully on the go-pedal to react to any sudden drop of speed, then you'll have to tell me how to avoid the problem I faced for the first versions of FSD where my two hands on the wheel and eyes watching the road ahead kept triggering the "apply torque" warning (and me missing it until the audio warning because I wasn't staring at the screen.) It was this forum that taught me to apply the torque with only one hand, a level of 'supervision' or 'control' I'm not comfortable with but am required to do because tesla was too cheap to put a sensor in the steering wheel.

As for the recommendation of only using percentage for range, that is what we do and have done from the first year of ownership. Which introduces a new problem, leaving for a long drive with only 80 or 90% battery no longer offers me the potential of 400 - 450km of range because the range the battery offers is now roughly 450km. And that's theoretical range, not the 80% efficiency that my Teslafi account shows the car gets on summer highway road trips.

The tesla is supposed to be taking weather, road speeds, topography AND the state of the battery into its calculations for how much I'll have at the end of the trip. Yet somehow, when I take the route it sets out for me, a route that has been taken a dozen times before, the car is incapable of accurately estimating the range I'll have left when I arrive at my destination. And since the only way to charge the car once I'm there is L1, the car is incapable of calculating accurately if I could even make it to an L2 or L3 charger should my L1 not work. I actually know it can in warm weather because Teslafi has tracked that part of the trip for me multiple times and it averages 15% of my charge and at the cottage the car still has 25% battery, which is not the 40% it told me it would have but enough that I know I shouldn't be stranded should my charging cable fail. But without Teslafi, I would be clueless as to if the car was going to leave me stranded at the side of the road or not it the cable wasn't working. And I can do these calculations for myself with this drive, but put me into a different "charging desert" I would have super range anxiety based on my experience up until now.
Your words directly from your post were "Thankfully we were already in the right lane and so moved partly onto the shoulder before control was regained"
I wasn't adding anything, you said specifically that you were partly on the shoulder before control was regained - which implies that control was not with the driver.
If you reached the shoulder then the driver wasn't in control and should admit responsibility for letting the car do something it shouldn't have. I don't expect FSD to be driving for me ever. It's just assisting me.

For the driving range, the best the car can do is just a guess, like with any car, not just Tesla. It can't possibly predict everything that impacts range, there are too many variables that the car can't possibly know.
To help with this, I have found ABRP to be a great planning resource, it even lets you connect to your car account to get a much more accurate journey plan. You can even use it with the in car browser and they offer a subscription with extra benefits. The other great one is plugshare.com, they show all plug types, including the RV options.
If you're visiting family etc, abetterrouteplanner also lets you add weight of luggage and passengers etc, both of which will impact range, both things that the car can't possibly determine.
I've used that for several 2k+ mile road trips and those two sites have been invaluable, both for planning and during the trip.

To help with the range anxiety, adding the extra adapters to the mobile charger and a decent 14-50 extension cord really helps with those otherwise hard to reach charging options, like this one.
So does Blink, EVGo and Chargepoint memberships, many of them now offer NACS plugs instead of CCS. You can also plug into dryer sockets, oven plugs, RV plugs etc with the right adapters. Having an expensive 40A cable and a matching set of adapters means you can plug in almost anywhere.
One last thing for range anxiety that really helped my family - realizing that arriving home with 2% just means our home charger has more work to do. But 2% is still 8-10 miles of range so we have lots a breathing room - it takes a little while to get used to that, but its very freeing once it clicks.
The great thing is that electric plugs are everywhere, you just have to have the right adapter.

Right again
Right again about what? That 12.4 is finally being sent out to more Tesla employees????

What we need is to get a hint of 12.4.1 showing real progress. Seems the employee testing is going slower than usual. At least we have always had TeslaFi posting and Release Notes on NotaTeslaapp by this time after an employee rollout.

Last edited:
You might already found out that you can steer by hooking your index fingers on the top edge notches. It's almost like just two fingers driving. If you do that, your left thumb will naturally fall on the "right" button.
Well, after 60K miles with the yoke I've probably tried every possible way of holding it, but I sit pretty low so if my fingers are extended it's usually when they're applying torque to the lower arms of the yoke.
Another thing I do when trying to touch the screen buttons, I hold the bottom/top edge with my fingers and use the thumb.
Oh for sure, have to or I'd be spending way too much time trying to get my finger to hit the target.

Right again about what? That 12.4 is finally being sent out to more Tesla employees????

What we need is to get a hint of 12.4.1 showing real progress. Seems the employee testing is going slower than usual. At least we have always had TeslaFi posting and Release Notes on NotaTeslaapp by this time after an employee rollout.
The tweet said the regular customers should start getting it in a few days which would be Monday