Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tweet said the regular customers should start getting it in a few days which would be Monday
Sawyer didn't say that. In FACT Sawyer last words in the post are: gottagofast is right again 🤣 Sorry misread that and meant : We'll see. Sawyer doesn't have any inside info (hell seems Elon doesn't either most of the time) and it is just his pure speculation.

Also he is referring to the release to mostly influencers and a usually tiny number of regular users (likely more obscure and different hardware combinations) to test and gauge (I'm sure you will be in this group and when it happens I can claim Right Again 🤣 ) . This may happen before next weekend if all is fast but I still expect a 12.4.1 update before even that happens.

Last edited:
So wheel nag doesn’t seem to be any different in 12.4?

I don't think we've seen enough testing yet.

If there is a difference what we should expect to see is under ideal conditions (good lighting, no glasses, camera not covered, driver head is in view, driver not on their phone) there is zero or minimal nag.

Under non-ideal conditions it'll work like it does today.

Until a few people test under those ideal conditions we don't know.

I don't think we've seen enough testing yet.

If there is a difference what we should expect to see is under ideal conditions (good lighting, no glasses, camera not covered, driver head is in view, driver not on their phone) there is zero or minimal nag.

Under non-ideal conditions it'll work like it does today.

Until a few people test under those ideal conditions we don't know.
When my 2022 MSLR had a free month of FSDS V12.3.6 with update 2024.3.25 (my car now has 2024.14.7 with inactive FSDS V12.3.6) it never gave any warnings, none at all. But of course, I was always attentive and had my hands on the yoke. And I always wore polarized sunglasses and a baseball cap.

Last edited:
So wheel nag doesn’t seem to be any different in 12.4?
This looks more like a PR boosting feature than a practical feature. There are sooooo many exceptions and limitations that I suspect it will be more of a "special operation" feature than a usable feature. In fact IMO it may be more of a hindrance feature that a practical feature. If using in daylight without sunglasses it will probably work most (but not all) of the time. For me it needs to be cloudy or hazy to not wear sunglasses in the day. At night or with sunglasses it will probably be hit or miss and a LOT of MISS. So likely it may go some with no nags and then unexpectedly it will loose track of your eyes and nag you. This may be more trouble than just continue with the expected nags we have now. To me it either needs to be NO nags like Ford and GM or just leave it like it is since it is not a proper eye tracking system..

If you watch the 12.4 video, you can see in certain situations there was a nag on the screen, and it went away without the driver touching the wheel.

So something has changed.
IIRC, didn't FSD already warn about attention being off the road and stop warning when you looked straight ahead? The message was something like "Please pay attention to the road" (not precise wording I'm sure). I would expect that in 12.4+ you can keep your hands off the yoke and not get the nag if everything else is copacetic. But the specific behavior above doesn't alone imply anything has changed?

Last edited:
IIRC, didn't FSD already did warn about attention being off the road and stop warning when you looked straight ahead? The message was something like "Please pay attention to the road" (not precise wording I'm sure). I would expect that in 12.4+ you can keep your hands off the yoke and not get the nag if everything else is copacetic. But the specific behavior above doesn't alone imply anything has changed?
Which makes sense since he had his iPhone on his left knee. I think he may have been using it to control the camera but still should have caused a warning if he was looking down at it.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
This may be more trouble than just continue with the expected nags we have now. To me it either needs to be NO nags like Ford and GM or just leave it like it is since it is not a proper eye tracking system..

You can still just use it like you do today though: keep a hand on the wheel, applying weight. I'd think with this new update it would still be a net improvement (sometimes I get "false" nags even with my hand on the wheel because I'm not applying any torque).

So are we thinking 12.4 on Monday during the holiday or on Tuesday because they won't release on the holiday or later than Tuesday because you are tired of waiting and have no idea when it'll come out?
There's no method to their madness. I don't think the FSD Tesla employees get holidays or weekends off. We have had software updates at the weirdest times and days.
Historically, Sunday and Monday nights between 11 pm and 2 am seems to be their favorite push times... but anyone's guess is good because V12 has been different

Historically, Sunday and Monday nights between 11 pm and 2 am seems to be their favorite push times... but anyone's guess is good because V12 has been different
It makes sense to push during the most quiescent hours, so if any major issues come up they can put the kibosh on it after a relatively small number of installs?

You can still just use it like you do today though: keep a hand on the wheel, applying weight. I'd think with this new update it would still be a net improvement (sometimes I get "false" nags even with my hand on the wheel because I'm not applying any torque).
I mostly keep my hands off but near the wheel and instinctively torque the wheel out of habit. Rarely get warned past a Blue Flash on the screen. Never had a Strike since day 1 of FSD Beta. So nags are no big deal to me.

While I doubted FSD L3/L4 in the past and thought at best we would get a good L2 system I'm starting to consider the possibility of wide ODD L3 system. If so then we would have a TRUE hands free while active.

Although even if Tesla gets the system improved enough the regulatory hurdles and insurance/liability issues hill be humongous and likely take YEARS to sort out.

My bet is on what @GotsToGoFast says as "they" are pretty confident on "their" inside track info. Note: this statement incudes advanced possessive pronoun use.
You forgot to mention, " and includes forward looking statements about Tesla and TSLA and it's subsidiaries and is not a guarantee of future performance or results"