Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was this a lucky slowing or did 12.1.2 predict a cut-in for a vehicle not wanting to get stuck behind a stopped car?

12.1.2 predict cut-in.jpg

The speed started dropping from 29mph before the white SUV even signaled or turned to cut in. Did 12.1.2 notice the 3 brake lights turn off indicating the SUV was not going to continue slowing down or perhaps general defensive behavior when adjacent lanes suddenly slow down?

Reactions: powertoold
Was this a lucky slowing or did 12.1.2 predict a cut-in for a vehicle not wanting to get stuck behind a stopped car?

View attachment 1012298

The speed started dropping from 29mph before the white SUV even signaled or turned to cut in. Did 12.1.2 notice the 3 brake lights turn off indicating the SUV was not going to continue slowing down or perhaps general defensive behavior when adjacent lanes suddenly slow down?

V12 is magical imo, the more you watch, the more subtleties becomes apparent

or perhaps general defensive behavior when adjacent lanes suddenly slow down?
Maybe. Need more examples.

Reaction time still seems to be one second, which dramatically increases risk of rear-end collision. This sort of situation was the only time I have been in a collision (I got rear ended but it was my fault, though that was not the way insurance saw it). 13:03 light turns, 13:04 slowing begins.

Much slower than a human.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Any V12 video is chock-full of highlights that other fsd developers would salivate over.

Like I said, this is endgame FSD, especially for SF, and I have no doubt it performs as well in other locales

Waiting for the 1x but check out all the magic happening here:

All y'all's be hating because y'all said this stuff ain't coming for another 10 years

To be honest though, V12 is blowing my socks off in every way, wayyy beyond my expectations. I didn't even think something like V12 was possible, it doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking Teslascope got testimonials from fakies

All y'all's be hating because y'all said this stuff ain't coming for another 10 years

Robotaxis soon?

Actually, yes, lol. I'm feeling good about this version.

So then, robotaxis soon? Should revisit this question once every year or two.

I suspect you’re gonna lose a lot of socks in any case.

Like here, V12 is increasing the follow distance so that it's not adjacent to the green truck on the right, so many of these human-like defensive habits:
Sadly, it was just a fat truck. We’d need examples of this consistently occurring; maybe you can curate some and post them here (it can be tough to maintain buffers in city driving, but I would love to see lots of evidence (not just one-off examples) of this essential capability).

Last edited:
Reactions: powertoold
I never said I spoke for all beta testers in Boston, but I sure speak for more than just myself.
From Boston area and FSD is certainly much better now than when I first used FSD in 2021. But it still craps out way too much.
Two main problems I see.
  1. 400+ year old road layout. Lots of obstructed views and just very difficult intersections that challenge human drivers.
  2. Poor road markings/paintings to compared to what I see in Omar's and Chuck Cooks videos. Night and day worse in greater Boston.
I've used FSD in California, Florida, Texas too and FSD works much better mostly because of the road layouts and better markings.

From Boston area and FSD is certainly much better now than when I first used FSD in 2021. But it still craps out way too much.
Two main problems I see.
  1. 400+ year old road layout. Lots of obstructed views and just very difficult intersections that challenge human drivers.
  2. Poor road markings/paintings to compared to what I see in Omar's and Chuck Cooks videos. Night and day worse in greater Boston.
I've used FSD in California, Florida, Texas too and FSD works much better mostly because of the road layouts and better markings.
But it’s better than a human….

I like that reason better than the oft-claimed "overfitting".

Even something so minor as autopark has a very strong response to the quality (contrast, consistency) of markings. Here in Albuquerque the particular places I go have really faint and inconsistent parking markings, and the software mostly just does not offer itself to me.

Reactions: APotatoGod
This is called “distributed computing”. It’s very much a real thing, and very likely a very lucrative thing. Pixar uses it to render its movies on “render farms”. Numerical weather forecasting models use it to crunch numbers and get new weather forecasts as quickly as possible. Stock analysis firms use it.

Why again is it ridiculous?

I thought about this in December of 2012 when I got my first Tesla and wondered why it took so long for them to finally think about this.

Years ago I set up my personal computer as a distributed computing node as part of the “SETI@Home” project, which used the personal computing resources of thousands of idle, privately-owned computers to analyze radio signals from outer space and, through Fourier Transforms and other tricks, identify if any of them contained any interesting signs of extraterrestrial intelligent life.

It’s not ridiculous and makes perfect sense, and could actually be a service that Tesla opens. Someone who wants a lot of numbers crunched would hire Tesla for a computing job. If you agree, Tesla will use your FSD computer to do calculations while your car is parked in your garage. In return, Tesla pays you, in the form of Supercharger credits, or literally credits your account. Meanwhile Tesla skims a bit off the top. Millions of distributed GPUs available when needed—all reachable from Tesla’s servers. I can’t think of a single other company that could do this.

I would jump at that deal as a Tesla owner, and I think many people would.
Finally….. I have been waiting for ages for them to start doing that and speed things up

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life