Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More important - did everyone notice how small an effort it took to satisfy the torque request? You can see him just reach up and barely move the wheel and the request disappeared. This is for those of you here who say the have to make large efforts to satisfy the request. What you see in this video is what is normal - minimal effort to satisfy.
I rest my hand on my leg and lightly hold the steering wheel between my thumb and forefinger. I just give it enough pressure to feel it sliding between my fingers. That's enough tension to keep it happy and in 2 1/2 years I've never had a strike. (Won't work with the yoke, though. )

Figured I’d share my thoughts on V12.

There is a left turn across traffic onto a freeway on ramp during my daily commute that V11 performed really slowly and very jerky. So bad, I would always disengage to make the turn myself. V12 performs the turn flawlessly!

There is an unprotected/blind left from my neighborhood onto a 45mph road that V11 would not perform safely. V11 would also stop way short, jerk all over the place, and then creep way too far and awkwardly. V12 performs this turn better but I still disengage daily.

In general V12 has been phenomenal. It feels like a step change improvement overall.

A couple things I don’t like. Phantom light braking is a little too common. It drives back roads a little more tentatively then V11. It will often times just refuse to drive at my set speed even on straightaways. The new flow of traffic speed thing or whatever it’s called is not something that works for me. It’s too slow and you can’t manually adjust the speed upwards. I live in a more country setting and 10mph over is kind of mandatory on a lot of the long country roads I drive.

One thing happened this evening that kind of shocked me. V12 drove into the wrong way of an on ramp. In a spot where it has driven perfectly every time before this. A good reminder to always be prepared to take over at any time.

9 and 3 is not comfortable for me for long periods, I’ve tried it.

Also, I don’t have IR illuminators. I’ve tried using my phone to image the camera at night and see nothing.

Many of my ‘pay attention’ nags occur at turns because I’m…. Looking at traffic to make sure the turn is safe!

The best/easiest method I’ve found is to keep my elbow on the armrest with my hand on my knee right next to the steering wheel. As soon as I see the blue screen I reach up and tug the wheel. (If I’m in a high risk situation I’ll have both hands right over the wheel.) This was the same technique I was using when I got my strike last week. I’ve tried putting. Constant torque and I either get a sore back/neck or I disengage or both.
Next time when you first engage FSD, don't touch the steering wheel when the engaging warning nag message comes on. Usually the message will go away. From then on just try to touch the steering wheel slightly when the nags come on. The rest of the time just touch the steering lightly what ever way you want.

Also, don't rest your head on the headrest all the time. Move your head frequently as if you are listening to music.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: sleepydoc
It drives back roads a little more tentatively then V11. It will often times just refuse to drive at my set speed even on straightaways. The new flow of traffic speed thing or whatever it’s called is not something that works for me. It’s too slow and you can’t manually adjust the speed upwards. I live in a more country setting and 10mph over is kind of mandatory on a lot of the long country roads I drive.

Yeah, if it shows up like that here in New England it ain't getting used.

• Funny
Reactions: aronth5
Roll out to:
1) Users above certain number of miles (imperfect due to varying number of drivers, but ok)
2) No strikes
3) People who have submitted some bug reports, maybe.

This would result in a good random distribution geographically. And a fair amount fewer irresponsible driving demonstrations, perhaps.
Wouldn't it be better to just truck on with testing internally until they're 100% confident in rolling it out? Seems like with the recent incident they're being cautious with it.

Reactions: lzolman
Wouldn't it be better to just truck on with testing internally until they're 100% confident in rolling it out? Seems like with the recent incident they're being cautious with it.
That defeats the purpose of beta testers. The whole point is you get a whole bunch of free testers which can test in a wider variety of environments and use cases, which internal testers might not be able to.

Reactions: rlsd and JB47394
Have people noticed different detected speed limit behaviors with 12.2.1? Is it relying on 11.x perception or maybe 12.x also outputs what it believes is the current speed limit? I'm referring to the speed limit that shows up next to the set speed, and in the past this has come from map data and perception. 11.x visualizations also have a separate speed limit sign rendering similar to stop signs.

Some reason the speed limit switched to 10mph perhaps confused by US101 highway signs partially occluded as vehicles drove by on the right? Is this newly regressed with 12.x or has this been an ongoing issue with 11.x as well? (Odd behavior if FSD Beta is confused by 101 as it's the longest highway in California where there should be plenty of training data.)

12.2.1 wrong 10mph.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Have people noticed different detected speed limit behaviors with 12.2.1? Is it relying on 11.x perception or maybe 12.x also outputs what it believes is the current speed limit? I'm referring to the speed limit that shows up next to the set speed, and in the past this has come from map data and perception. 11.x visualizations also have a separate speed limit sign rendering similar to stop signs.

Some reason the speed limit switched to 10mph perhaps confused by US101 highway signs partially occluded as vehicles drove by on the right? Is this newly regressed with 12.x or has this been an ongoing issue with 11.x as well? (Odd behavior if FSD Beta is confused by 101 as it's the longest highway in California where there should be plenty of training data.)

View attachment 1025070
I’ve had inconsistent speed limit performance in V11. It will frequently miss signs and occasionally misread them.

Yeah, what he said!!

Now I have to go Google that damn word... thanks a lot..

View attachment 1024984

That's a Google image of a binnacle.. I don't think that is in front of my yoke.
Could be wrong, I like to drink adult beverages..
Google dosn't know. You need some AI to find out. Everyone knows that is what a Model S binnacle looks like. 😱 And below is the optional Head's Up Display you can get on a 2025 Model S.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 5.54.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 6.16.18 AM.png

Last edited: