Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The surfboard could be a factor. I drive on winding hills every day and did not notice any issue. Or the camera needs recalibration?
Well, I've done that drive with the surfboard many times with earlier versions and never noticed any problems.

>Or the camera needs recalibration?
I've been thinking that because on most of yesterday's drive the car hugged the center line, with the wheels often on the rumble strip.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Looks like Tesla is deploying 12.3 on a state-by-state basis. For those in Arizona, California, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia; the rollout seems to be roughly 10-15% chance. TeslaFi also has one-off installs from Florida, Illinois, Nevada, Oregon perhaps special access. Also consistent with 12.2 rollout, only going to HW3 with landscape center screen so far (unless special access).
The 1 Florida is Chuck, I know his car on teslafi

For quite a while I've felt that FSD drives more safely than I do. I've always paid close attention, ready to intervene, but driving with FSD on has been more relaxing than doing the driving myself.

Now, that has changed. I've lost confidence in it.

Next time I do that drive, I'm going to revert back to Navigate on Autopilot. The only problem is that when the car misinterprets TRUCK 30 MPH signs, I can't up the speed max to 55 MPH.

For quite a while I've felt that FSD drives more safely than I do. I've always paid close attention, ready to intervene, but driving with FSD on has been more relaxing than doing the driving myself.

Next time I do that drive, I'm going to revert back to Navigate on Autopilot. The only problem is that when the car misinterprets TRUCK 30 MPH signs, I can't up the speed max to 55 MPH.
I use it like I am driving, with hands on yoke and foot hovering over pedals.
If ego deviates from where I think the car should go, it's an auto disengagement.
No safety issue since I am already hands on yoke or wheel pointed in the right direction. Tesla doesn't have the power to fight off my massive muscles 💪!

These videos of yours are very unfortunate. On one hand it is good to let people know this can happen, so they don’t die. On the other hand, the Tesla-employee lurkers here will see it and halt the 12.3 rollout for “retraining,” which I don’t want. Tough call!

FSD V12.3 Review.

Model 3 Long Range with Hardware 3. On Auto Speed for most of the drive, and I tried Assertive, Average and Chill settings without noticing a difference.

Summary: A serviceable ADAS that will require disengagements and interventions. It is serviceable because it can actually drive you from point A to point B.

My disengagements:
  1. A convertible was stopped in the road in my lane and the passengers were all out. FSD was slowing, but not making any attempt to go around.
  2. A challenging cross traffic situation where the car was stutter-advancing into the cross traffic lane.
  3. A need to get into a turn lane that was backed up 30 or 40 cars (a common situation at the turn). FSD couldn't decide whether to get in line.
My disappointments:
  1. Speed control. This would be my number one reason to not use the system. My neck was fatigued from all the speed hunting that the system does. If it has a car to follow, everything is fine. Otherwise, it's using various other cues to pick speeds, and the cues keep leading it up or down a couple or three mph. Then it adjusts "non-smoothly" enough that your neck muscles are constantly alternating between tensing front or back.
  2. Launching from a controlled intersection. Far too aggressive. I was seeing 75% of the grey acceleration line, while I probably start out from traffic lights at 25%. If that's how California drivers get around, y'all need to switch to decaf.
  3. Pump fake lane changes. I got a couple of these, where it'll start a lane change, slide back a bit, then complete the lane change.
  4. Close calls on some curbs. No contact, but it got my attention. I also saw red ultrasonic indicators when crossing a narrow bridge. There was no opposing bridge traffic, but it still hugged the walled edge.
  5. Obsessive need to follow a racing line. Even on a shallow bend, the car slides to the inside of the lane. On one sharp bend (20 mph posted limit), FSD crossed the yellow line. No oncoming traffic.
  6. Braking at traffic lights is again a case of hunting around for the right rate of slowing. A constant slowing rate is needed, and one that is slightly more aggressive then the system is using right now.
  7. Hard brake for a yellow traffic light that the car could easily have made.
  8. It missed some of those short, sharp speed bumps. No reaction at all.
My pleasant surprises:
  1. Good lane change logic (apart from the pump fake behavior). It's still a shade slow, but it's good. It merged onto a secondary highway, then completed three lane changes in about a half mile. In traffic.
  2. Good turn signal use. I think it only messed up one time. It's usually a tad early (affected drivers should see the start).
  3. Speed humps were reasonably well handled. As stated above, speed bumps were ignored.
  4. No more braking while going over the crests of hills
The jury is out:
  1. Automatic speed selection. I'm used to rigorously sticking to 5 mph over the speed limit. Clowning around with different speeds even on multilane suburban roads with 45 or even 55 mph speed limits seems like a bad idea. Be dumb. Just do 5+.
There's hope, but if the FSD behavior is representative of the drivers it trained on, they need to find better drivers.

Last edited:
The 1 Florida is Chuck, I know his car on teslafi
Suggests they selected him specifically? I wonder why Tesla chose to rollout an untrained version to him? To show rapid progress on the next release maybe? Maybe they were going for the second 9 with all this recent training, which we know 100% for sure is not in 12.3?
Launching from a controlled intersection. Far too aggressive. I was seeing 75% of the grey line and I probably leave lights at 25%. If that's how California drivers get around, y'all need to switch to decaf.
This is fine. As long as it checks for cross traffic first, all is well. They should provide slower acceleration profiles via the non-assertive drive mode setting. I am usually 200 yards ahead after 300 yards when first at a light. It is important to give every chance to make the next light before it changes.

Last edited:
On one hand it is good to let people know this can happen, so they don’t die. On the other hand, the Tesla-employee lurkers here will see it and halt the 12.3 rollout for “retraining,” which I don’t want. Tough call!
Let's do the math on this one.

Option 1 - kill a few customers in the interest of a rollout/profits.

Option 2 - do more computer training.

I'm sure this is a very tough call for Elon.;)

My 1 minute and 1¢ in a nutshell

• Steering wheel is soooooo much smother and almost never jerks
  • No more lane change drifting into the wrong lane
  • The new selectable speed (forget what it is called) is slow in urban but faster in less congestion
  • When the speed is too slow seems you can "adjust" it by using the accelerator and it will then set that as the new speed
  • Had it park in a parking lot and it did the extreme BMW and put a parking line dead center taking 2 spots
  • While not perfect it just FEELS like a fundamental change with tons of potential

Elon did say HW4 would be several months behind HW3 for FSD going forward with 12
Elon initially said that last summer when Tesla offered to transfer FSD if you purchased a new car by 9/30. Everyone was pleasantly surprised when HW4 support came out within a few weeks. HW4 support was available for V12 within a couple of weeks after the Employee rollout and Omar and many others had HW4 support for V12.2.1 so doubt it will take long for V12.3

(Edit- I forget to mention that TeslaScope stated employees with HW4 cars already have V12)

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1