Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say that all of the fretting about oversensitive nags has proven to be a non-issue with 12.3. I rarely ever get even a blue flash warning now. I'm not sure exactly what changed, but I think the threshold setting of the torque sensitivity on the steering wheel has been lowered. I can just rest both hands on the wheel if I want, not needing to drag it unnaturally like I did before (even though I got pretty used to that). I can do brief natural glances to the sides or to the screen with no problem now.

I hope it stays this way. It's clearly still active in case I become absent-minded, but it's no longer forcing me to be aware of it as long as I do normal pay-attention monitoring. Nice.

Here's the 12.3 rollout progression so far by state (top: CA vs AZ/FL/GA/NV/NC/SC/TX/VA vs others) / by FSD computer hardware (middle: HW3 vs HW4) / by vehicle model (bottom: S vs 3 vs X vs Y) based on TeslaFi installs per quarter-day interval:

12.3 rollout waves.png

From the top portion of the chart, the waves were initially California then primarily the 8 selected states then the other states getting to 30% rollout, and now the increase to 45% includes all states. The latest wave (2 right-most stacks of the chart) also includes S/X while the immediately previous wave was only 3/Y. The last 2 waves seem to be HW3 focused, but there was a primarily HW4 wave before that (and started with HW3).

First real V12.3 test drive for me. Late at night, very light traffic. Auto speed offset NOT enabled. +7% speed offset selected.

OK, mind blown. Before everyone gets their panties in a wad, no it's not perfect and it has a ways to go to be L3. There are negatives which I'll go over. Why is my mind blown? because I saw it make decisions. Not following code, but making decisions. Let me explain. There's a couple of parking lots on my test route. There are gates and there is innacurate map data--both routing and speed.

The first parking lot looks like a road when you first pull in--but it's not. You turn in off a 25 mph road and there's no new speed sign to let you know that the speed limit is now 15. You have to recognize it's a parking lot even though it looks like a road. It takes humans a bit to figure that out their first time there. On top of that, the nav data still shows it is a road with a 25 mph speed limit. V11.x ALWAYS accelerated to 25 until I intervened. Tonight, V12.3 started accelerating to 25 mph, and right where human drivers generally recognize they're in a parking lot the car slowed to 12. The speed limit and max speed still showed 25. I raised my eyebrows at this--very, very nice.

Same parking lot, second decision. I stopped the car and selected a new destination. As always, the navigation selected a route that goes around the edge of the parking lot. The car started to follow that route, but I swear it noticed a short cut. Since it was night there were no cars parked. Any human would cut across the parking spots to avoid circling the parking lot. And that's just what the car did. It paused for a moment and then ignored the navigation data; it proceeded slowly across the parking spots and re-intercepted the route. And yes, it still drove at 12 mph in the parking lot even though the nav data was telling it to go 25 mph. Outstanding!

Third decision. It drove flawlessly to my next destination, a high school parking lot where it was to go to the front door. The only problem is the navigation shows an incorrect route once in the parking lot. There's a curb in the way. The car paused for a moment at the curb and then ignored the navigation route to drive across the parking lot picking up another way to the front door. The navigation never calculated this route, the car just figured out on it's own how to get to the front door. Mind now fully blown. Oh, and it recognized it was a parking lot and slowed to 12 mph again--and the nav data still showed a 25 mph speed limit.

Other notes:

Auto high beams--outstanding. This is the first time I've given them better than fair to good. Not only did they dim when other headlights were visible, they dimmed when you could see light starting to come around a corner--even if it was just vaguely visible. Exactly what I would do.

Speed control: needs work, but is still impressive. Yes it's often too slow, but the car is making decisions on how fast to go. Too conservative for the most part, but I liked that it slowed down in neighborhoods even though the max speed showed 27 with the offset. A bit too slow at times, but better than too fast--and utterly amazing to me that it recognizes that 27 is too fast in a neighborhood. IMHO, 20 mph is the proper speed in a neighborhood where a child or a pet might run out in front of you from behind a car. That said, my one intervention tonight was when it failed to slow at one point where the speed limit drops from 35 to 25. It's not a neighborhood, and there are no visual cues that you need to slow down other than the speed limit sign. In this case the max speed displayed did drop to 27 with a speed limit of 25, but it kept tooling along at 35. It wasn't dangerous, but it could easily get you a ticket at this location.

The car waits too long at stop signs, but once it finally decides to go it accelerates briskly. This is likely the fault of the NHTSA. Screw them.

If you don't touch the wheel, the nags come far more often, but it seems like you need less torque on the wheel to avoid the nags.

There are multiple difficult intersections and round-abouts on my route. For the first time the car handled all of these--with one possible exception--flawlessly. Not only that, it handled them smoothly and confidently. The one possible exception is a blind corner that you must yield to opposite traffic that isn't even visible. There's a yield sign, but really there should be a stop sign. V11.x would blast right through this intersection--dangerous without a spotter to let you know it's clear. V12.3 slowed down considerably. Did it slow enough? That's a good question. It was slow enough for me because if a car had been coming I would have seen the light from it's headlights. Was V12.3 thinking the same thing???? If not, it went through the intersection too fast. Had it been daylight I would have intervened. If it was noticing no light from headlights, then all I can say is "Holy *sugar*!" I'll have to try it again in the light. Turn lane behavior was much improved over V11.x. V11 would half heartedly pull in to a turn lane, often leaving the tail of the car sticking out. V12.3 pulled right in to the lane exactly as it should.

The car gets a little closer than I like to some curbs.

It sure feels like it's 12.3--and not 11.x--on the freeway. I don't know obviously, and I know there's some debate on the issue.

Objectively, V12.3 looks like a nice upgrade over V11.x. Subjectively I'd call it a huge improvement. Why? Because it's making decisions--good ones. I taught new jet pilots in the USAF for a few years. Some officers had great "hands"--they could learn to fly maneuvers with skill. Some had "airmanship"--judgement. They could think three dimensionally and make good decisions. If a kid could make good decisions I knew they'd be OK. They'd be at least a good pilot. If they had great hands AND great airmanship then I knew they'd be a hot stick by graduation. For the first time ever, FSD is making decisions. That is bloody F*&^ing amazing!!! Tesla might just get there yet. Certainly L3 in good weather is going to be technically possible in the not too distant future. Maybe not in two weeks though, LOL!

It is way too sensitive on braking. I would have only dinged FSD for one of the five stops that the app dinged it for. (At a yellow light.)

Yep, that score seems reasonable, even if it's a bit harsh. Your speeds listed above weren't that high so you might have even missed the worst of it! You’ll have to see how it works out longer term with your scoring!

Hopefully they'll just fix the weird stopping profile that most of us here acknowledge could use some improvement on "initial bite." I think that jerk and brief high deceleration is probably what the scoring system is picking up on.

There's sometimes a weird pulsing deceleration (very very slight) after it slows down and is in the coast phase up to a stop, too. That's new for v12.3.

his is likely the fault of the NHTSA.
It's not. The behavior is just broken. It coasts too slowly to the stop, often doesn't stop at the stop line, drifts up to the line slowly, creeps a bit more, then things really long and hard, then goes. The only thing NHTSA requires is a stop at the line. This does take longer than only going down to 1mph, but doesn't take 10 seconds (what I have timed v12 to take, the 10 seconds does NOT include the slow roll, the creeping, and the stopping).

After a 40 minute, 13 mile, drive I rate it A-. I provided absolutely no input for the entire drive. The minus is only because it slowed to 10 mph for a skateboarder it thought was trying to cross the street, but didn't. And once it was clear they were not going to it didn't speed back up fast enough. (I probably should have intervened and sped it up, but I wanted to see what it would do.)

I was driving with acceleration in Chill, FSDb set to average, and MLC not turned on.

Oddity:
  • Way less robotic in terms of lane positioning. Sometimes too far to the left other times too far to the right. (For no discernable reason.)
Improvements from V11:
  • No unnecessary lane changes.
  • No unnecessary turn signal use.
  • No nags. (V11 always had some even though I held the steering wheel exactly the same.)
  • Signaled twice as far from turns.
  • Way better turning path on right turns.
Cons:
  • Didn't take control of the bike lane on right turns like V11 did.
  • Over cautious for potential VRU.
  • Maybe a little too aggressive on acceleration.
  • HORRIBLE insurance safety score.
View attachment 1030507

Notes on the State Farm safety score:
  • It is way too sensitive on braking. I would have only dinged FSD for one of the five stops that the app dinged it for. (At a yellow light.)
  • Speeding is when it goes 9 MPH, or more, over the speed limit for a distance. (A very brief excursion over the limit won't trigger it.)
Funny how the Bluetooth on my phone cuts out when I need to burnish the brakes on my truck... 😉

Funny, I began a post last night on another board with the line that I rated it an A-, so at first I thought it was that post getting quoted above.

A correction from my own post here from last night: I said I'd had no speed control issues. I guess it's because I did not turn the auto speed control on, not realizing I had to do that? So it was using "old" speed control and that was working swimmingly. I'd been under the impression one didn't have any choice now about auto speed control except to create a separate profile with FSD turned off... still a bit confused about that.

Quick worthless poll:

When will the Neural Net highway stack be added:
  1. 12.4
  2. 12.5
  3. 12.69
  4. 12.420
  5. 13.2
13.0 is another possibility…
Unlikely that nag free launch will be in 12.x
Unlikely that 13.x is likely either given that it is unlucky.
I can see Elon using some of these bigger changes to get us to a V15 nag free launch. Or maybe the big moment will be Tesla network launch.

It's not. The behavior is just broken. It coasts too slowly to the stop, often doesn't stop at the stop line, drifts up to the line slowly, creeps a bit more, then things really long and hard, then goes. The only thing NHTSA requires is a stop at the line. This does take longer than only going down to 1mph, but doesn't take 10 seconds (what I have timed v12 to take, the 10 seconds does NOT include the slow roll, the creeping, and the stopping).

There are degrees of being broken so for me it's not that big of deal. Hoping speed control is improved in the next release but braking is pretty low on my priorities for Tesla to improve. Since my spouse didn't complain about braking it cannot be that bad.

2018 Model 3, Dual Motor, HW3, 180K miles

Day three. Can’t use it around here. Give me back V11. Way too many issues with it.

Highway - Was out on Rte 78 in NJ yesterday, seems to work the same on the highway as always, scroll wheel works, also Max speed works, jumped right to 72 ( I have it set for 10% over), scrolled to 75 and it went it right to it and held it. Still wants to be in far left lane, you can get a ticket for hanging out in left lane. Please don’t mess with highway, don’t want to deal with all the issues introduced with V12. I’d love to be rolled back to V11.4.x until the V12 is fixed. Too bad you couldn’t request a roll back.

I’m a very happy for those who are enjoying it where they live, glad you are seeing all the improvements, hopefully they’ll be able to fix it around here on next release.

I received the 12.3 update last night, like many others, but I've decided not to install it just yet. I'll wait for confirmation from the community that the curb rash and speed issues have been resolved first. I'm not a fan of the lack of TACC (I don't want to switch profiles while driving), especially living in the Boston area where potholes are everywhere. It's much easier to just use TACC.

Indeed.

I've clipped a curb once on FSD, and it was in a huge snowstorm with a foot a snow on an early FSD release. FSD was struggling but to be fair I couldn't see the curb under there anyway 🤣.

The scrapped up wheel is a badge of honor and my contribution to FSD, lol. I'm pretty carefully around curbs now, especially the right side. Can't quite feel how close we are over on that side
so...I have to wonder what you were thinking using FSD (an early version, at that) in a snow storm!

• Funny
Reactions: Pdubs and gsmith123
Would love to see videos of it going faster than the speed limit and keeping up with traffic. On Mira Mesa people routinely travel 55mph or more in the 50mph area, and I don’t think the car will consistently keep up at those speeds.

Just has not been the case. It’s broken. Tesla (Elon) has also said it is broken.

It’s a complicated system so I imagine there are situations where it will work reasonably well. Sometimes I do not have to push the accelerator - that is true - after all, I only had 10 or 15 interventions that I reported.

But it’s a real thing.
You need to press the accelerator a little bit to make the car increase the speed but you don't have to always press it. I am not sure it's related to speed offset setting or not.
I don't have camera to make videos like the YouTubers to show speed limit on my screen. I may use the phone to take snapshots when I feel safe. I never do this thing before.