Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fundamental problem is people don't know how to drive...
Yellow should never proceed if there is a vehicle in the outer lane and must only enter with intent to go straight after blue has committed to continuing on to the next outlet.
No, it’s a fundamental problem with 2 lane roundabouts.

If I’m making a right turn onto a 2 lane road and there’s an approaching car in the left lane I do not have to yield to that car (assuming I stay in my lane.) If there are two right turn lanes turning on to the same road, the car in the left/outside right turn lane would need to yield to the car in the left lane.

All the diagrams I’ve ever seen are like the one I linked above - they never describe what to do in the situation I describe. The official videos and diagrams on the DOT website are the same. I’ve asked this question repeatedly and no one has given me a good answer.

Finally, today I found an answer by reading the MN state statues:
“If two vehicles with a total length … drive through a roundabout at approximately the same time or so closely as to constitute a hazard of collision, the … vehicles on the right must yield the right-of-way to the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the left and, if necessary, must reduce speed or stop in order to so yield.” (This is MN law, I have no idea if the other 49 states are the same or not.)

I have never seen this stated or implied anywhere. I’ve never seen it on signs, or educational materials. My daughter just went through driver’s education and they didn’t teach it there, either. The law didn’t exist when I went through driver’s ed so of course I was never taught it. Hence, the only apparent way to learn it is by digging through statutes.

So yes, a car entering a roundabout has to yield to a car that’s in a completely separate lane and a car in the right lane of a roundabout has to yield to a car cutting it off from the left lane, even though that doesn’t apply anywhere else on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot
So yes, a car entering a roundabout has to yield to a car that’s in a completely separate lane and a car in the right lane of a roundabout has to yield to a car cutting it off from the left lane, even though that doesn’t apply anywhere else on the road.
That shouldn't happen though.
The vehicle in the right lane beside the vehicle in the left lane must be exiting. It's the red vs blue paths. If red conflicts with blue that means either blue was doing a single exit right turn fron the inner lane (wrong) or red was doing a left or 180 from the right lane (also wrong).

A car entering (yellow) must yeild to red always and blue conditionally (if blue is exiting).

IMG_0319.jpeg

Reactions: X Fan and primedive
That shouldn't happen though.
The vehicle in the right lane beside the vehicle in the left lane must be exiting. It's the red vs blue paths. If red conflicts with blue that means either blue was doing a single exit right turn fron the inner lane (wrong) or red was doing a left or 180 from the right lane (also wrong).

A car entering (yellow) must yeild to red always and blue conditionally (if blue is exiting).

View attachment 1030796
This should be redesigned as a turbo roundabout.

Day 2 of v12.3.

Got honked at by a sheriff because my car was changing lanes into them while they were in my blind spot. This happened on v11.4.9 so just more of the same.

Earlier was honked at because my car wouldn't exit the freeway and got in the way of a merging car behind me.

Overall not impressed, mostly because of how slowly and cautiously the car drives.

There has been one clear complaint about v12’s pattern (???) of signaling too early, without detail.
I'll give you one example of an early use. At a stop sign where you have to go straight across two lanes, and then almost immediately turn left. It turned the left turn signal on before getting to the stop sign. Of course, it also didn't go across the street as it should, turning left before getting all the way across the street. (But still not even turning left on to the street it was crossing.) So totally messed up.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What's the rule for turn signals? Seems quite individual, like many aspects of driving. Some want it early and some want it late. The only rules we have are traffic laws, which many states have as minimum 100 feet from the turn. This is going to be a goldilocks problem.
One rule. Does using a turn signal help others drivers know what your want to do (intent) or are about to do (warning). Everything else is just the details.

I'll give you one example of an early use. At a stop sign where you have to go straight across two lanes, and then almost immediately turn left. It turned the left turn signal on before getting to the stop sign. Of course, it also didn't go across the street as it should, turning left before getting all the way across the street. (But still not even turning left on to the street it was crossing.) So totally messed up.
This is a case where the law conflicts with its intent. Signaling 100’ before the turn means signaling before the stop sign, causing confusion.

Mine showed it was up to date this afternoon and I was deeply disappointed at Elon like a dead beat dad. Then I went home and got on WiFi and it just updated in it’s own and notifications on my phone, like dead beat dad visiting on Christmas.
Checking the software update is a lot like clicking the Advanced Button. Mostly placebo but has human satisfaction. You get the update when you are entered into the queue by Tesla.