Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Highway and highway ramps.

It took a really long ramp and maintained 45mph until it was already in the highway then sped up to 70mph. Very dangerous without intervention. It had a similar issue with a very long exit ramp where it flew at 60mph until it realized and braked for standing traffic at a light.

V12 in the city and roads is great. Slower than usual but really great.

Out of habit, I scrolled down on the right scroll wheel, and after about a half a second delay, it slowed down to 24. Another scroll down, and it's down to 20. Another scroll up, and it's up to 24.

This works as long as the limit is lower than what auto speed wants. Which makes this not too useful.

So yeah, you don't need to press the accelerator and hope it keeps up. Scroll up on the right scroll wheel a few times.
I’ve scrolled mine up to 85mph (or 60mph depending on the road type) and it seems to have no significant impact. If the limit is higher than what auto-speed wants, back to the accelerator you go. Tried in both modes. Swap back and forth periodically in problem areas just to see if there is any appreciable difference. There isn’t.

I don’t know that I have tried every combination to try to address the issue, but nothing seems to work.

I’ve got a 20% speed offset as well. I haven’t really thought about it but there might be a few situations where that reduces annoyance - if you’re in that mode. I guess if detected speeds are way low it would be helpful.

But anyway there is no known fix; nothing has been proposed so far that works. Will keep waiting for more suggestions. But most likely 12.3.1.

It’s likely not solvable in 12.3 since they’re putting out a release to address it.

Meanwhile pulsing accelerator periodically.

So yeah, you don't need to press the accelerator and hope it keeps up. Scroll up on the right scroll wheel a few times.

I don't know if I'm just the first person to try this, or whether others have done it already and I've missed it.
I have tried to scroll up but it didn't go faster. I haven't tried to get it to go slower.

A bit of an important discovery tonight for those that think Auto Max drives too slowly: the right scroll wheel still works while on Auto.

Driving past a known sensitive speed trap, and Auto Max chose to go 27 in a 20 MPH. Out of habit, I scrolled down on the right scroll wheel, and after about a half a second delay, it slowed down to 24. Another scroll down, and it's down to 20. Another scroll up, and it's up to 24.

I don't know if I'm just the first person to try this, or whether others have done it already and I've missed it.
I was not able to have the scroll wheel make it go faster than it wanted to go. When it went 40 in a 45 (where traffic goes 50) the scroll wheel didn’t make it go faster for me.

I dont think we'll see this product "feature complete" within the next 10 years. My guess is the Tesla robot is a pivot so they havent got all their eggs in one basket. You've also noticed that Elon has been making fewer promises lately. I can bet there'll be a lot of people looking to sue them over false claims in the coming years.
Ten years is eons and eons given the current rate of AI technology advancement. It’s very nonlinear. Robotaxi within 2 years wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Last edited:
Ten years is eons and eons given the current rate of AI technology advancement. It’a very nonlinear. Robotaxi within 2 years wouldn’t surprise me at all.
Robotaxi is never coming. It was promised "end of year" in 2019. You only make a prediction like that when you have something working. Then it was pushed back, and now we hear nothing about it.

Elons first "prediction" was a complete and utter lie. Maybe they've made progress, but I doubt it.

39dkDAz.jpg

Just got FSD 12.3. It only works on streets, the freeway stack is the heuristic program. Off the bat, takes off from a stop quickly, no more lag. Smooth lane changes across multiple lanes. I have my profile on aggressive with Auto speed turned on. I was in heavy traffic in Laguna Beach today. It nugged its way into the right turn lane by sticking it's nose into the right lane just before the turn. Impressive!. It seems much more assured. On the other hand the freeway stack missed an off ramp since it did not get to the right lane quick enough. It also would have missed an off ramp with construction if I had not intervened. I would love to see the full AI make its way over to the freeway/highway stack so planning would be quicker and better.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Says “at least,” “intended to communicate.” 100 feet is the minimum. Otherwise, it is measured in units of time (to communicate).
100’ is the miminum. Alan is correct - the signaling behavior in V12 is vastly superior to V11.
I never said it should use the minimum, I suggested 200-300 feet.

500+ feet is just way too far. I prefer V11 behavior over V12's. (You shouldn't signal a turn option ahead. It confuses people.)

Now for my trip on Assertive without hitting yellow lights. Broken in to two drives.
<image upload doesn't appear to be working. Two acceleration dings in one drive, two braking and one speeding ding in the other.>

My only disengagements, 3, were to report signaling too early.

Last edited:
Robotaxi is never coming. It was promised "end of year" in 2019. You only make a prediction like that when you have something working. Then it was pushed back, and now we hear nothing about it.

Elons first "prediction" was a complete and utter lie. Maybe they've made progress, but I doubt it.
My favorite, person joins Tmc 45 minutes ago and bashes Elon and Tesla.
Hey, CNN, Dan O'Dowd, nobody here watches your channel or cares about your bullsh!t.

Auto ignore.

Obvious troll is obvious.

By the way, a “prediction” cannot also be a lie.

After feeling very neglected over the past few days, got 12.3 while having dinner out with the SO. Interestingly, I had been checking once a day for updates; did so this morning with a, "You have the latest release" message, and resigned myself to checking Sunday morning. Looks like those who say that, Tesla decides when" have the better insight.

2023 M3 AWD LR. Had been running 11.4.9 on the 2023.44.30.8 release.
  • The good: There's this road over US 1, two lanes, but the lanes are very wide. So much so that those wanting to do a UPL onto the US1 N on-ramp should stay to the left so those coming up from the rear have plenty of room to buzz around. Tonight, not much traffic, so didn't get to see if the car would do that, but, on the other hand, it paused, jerked the steering while lightly (usually, it's like it's controlled by the mad wheel jerker from the hot place) and went onto the ramp. At a reasonable speed, too, with that auto stuff turned on. That's a first.
  • The bad: The off-ramp onto US1 segues immediately into an on-ramp for I-287, with a mere 150' to Get To The Left if one wants to continue North on US1, while, at the same time, in that short space, people on US1 trying to get onto I-287 are crossing to the right. As it happens, there wasn't any traffic on US1, but 12.3 got stuck on the on/off ramp and didn't move with alacrity onto US1. Oops. 11.4.9 would try and get onto I-287 or go on US1, but it wouldn't try to hit the barrels at the intersection. More Training Needed.
  • The bad: Speed limit stuff. US1 is 50 mph with most people going faster. 12.3 put itself behind of line of cars getting onto the Garden State Parkway at 25 mph or slower, but refused, despite my signaling and trying, to move into the center lane on US1 where cars were going faster.
  • The good: Took an off-ramp off of US1 in a NJ-style jughandle sans problems, including the yield sign, where it stopped for traffic.
  • Went through a fairly large graveyard on a 25 mph local road. Twisty turney, but most traffic goes through there at 35 mph, seeing as there's very few pedestrians in a couple hundred acre graveyard. (And, I suppose, if there are any, they're probably not the kind one would want to stop for.) No way in "Auto" mode to speed the car up.. although it did get up to 27-28 mph. Not quite slow enough to acquire a line of irritated drivers, but, still.
  • The good: In the parking lot of a local bagel shop. Told it to go to a Staples, some distance away. To start, it had to cross a major three-lane (one lane one way, one lane the other, and a suicide lane in the middle). Which, after more-or-less looking both ways, it successfully did. I'm not sure 11.4.9 could've handled it.
  • The good: On I-287, it was very obvious when the highway stack kicked in. For one thing, that "auto" bit at the top of the screen disappeared, replaced by a scroll-wheel settable speed limit. OK: Highways still work! Interestingly, the Set Speed Limit was 72 mph on a 65 mph road. Yeah, everybody does do 72 or so, so its not like it was on US1 where it was set to 50 mph and wouldn't budge.
  • The good: So, there's this off-ramp on I-278 that terminates into a very sharp left turn onto a two-lane road, followed almost immediately by an extra right turn lane onto the road that I wanted. On 11.4.9 and previous, the car would do the sharp left, then take its own, sweet, slow time getting into the right lane, where other faster cars who wanted that right coming up would be speeding past one. On 12.3, the car made its left and immediately shifted into the right lane. The right turn, besides having a yield on it, confused the heck out of 11.4.9 and previous, where the car had to be goosed to Get Moving. On 12.3 it just.. went. No sudden slow-down.
  • The good: There's this off-ramp on US1 that intersects at a 20-degree angle with a local road. At the intersection, I've got a yield; traffic on the local road can be heavy to very light. On 11.4.9 and previous, the car would hit that Yield intersection and speed and not slow down. Scared the heck out of me several times because FSD wouldn't stop for cars on the local road. Yeah, the local road is wide, right there, but they very definitely have the right of way. I had been in the habit of intervening each and every time. 12.3 came to a blinking halt at the intersection, let one car go by, then stayed halted until a second car was 90% gone by, then started moving along. No question: 12.3 FSD noted the car coming up on the left and halted for it. That was a first.
  • The best: Coming along this road, getting set to take a right onto an even more local road. Facing me, stopped, on the other side of the road, was a car with its left turn blinker going, clearly wanting to go into the same road where I was headed. 12.3 slowed the car to a stop short of the intersection, clearly indicating to the other car to Go Ahead. The other car turned and crossed, then 12.3 picked up and turned right behind him. Ah. I have no idea what kind of training induced that, but it was very nearly human.
So, fun times. More when I get out in heavy traffic and daylight.

Finally: No question: The speed setting algorithms are flakey, unintuitive, and can't be set for local roads when the speeds need to be adjusted. But that's what 12.3.1 is all about, right?