Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I even wonder whether the car overreacted, stopping sooner than necessary, making a collision with the following car more likely.
Do you think the car looks back and adjusts braking based on whether a rear-end collision is possible.

I know that once I was waiting at light, and a car came up fast behind me. My car moved forward.

I didn't notice anything new on the release notes. So I guess its not included. I will not use autopark until Tesla takes up the repair cost in case anything happens. Also it has to be able to parallel park in tight San Francisco road sides with no wheel curbing.
And make good espresso ;)

Early report on 12.3.1. Chill, Average. Auto Speed. zero offsets. Local unmarked neighborhood.

1. Speed up to Max or Max-1 (25 mph)

So, is the FSD not reaching max set speed quickly fixed ?

I'll add that the guy in the video was giving a nice YouTube overreaction to the situation, including a claim that the brakes locked up. Obviously no modern car is going to lock up the brakes. Do anti-lock brakes "buzz" anymore? That's about the most he would be able to notice.
He was able to steer to the left a bit so that's a sign the wheels weren't locked. But I didn't study the video enough to see if he'd lifted his foot off the brake at that point or not.

Still, he should have started slowing before he did. Whether or not he assigned that task to the car or took it on himself, he made a mistake by not demanding the car slow faster. I'm constantly flicking up to disengage TACC or FSD when I see something happening ahead, either would have started to slow the car and put brake lights on to warn the guy behind.

Edited to add: From the YT video comments he claimed he only tapped the brakes after they 'locked up.'

I out of habit tapped the brake after the car was already locked up. It 100% stopped itself I just took over after since it was telling me to very loudly on my screen. I don't think I could have reacted as fast. Maybe if I was perfectly paying attention and watching for that exactly thing but chances are the car which doesn't get distracted would have reacted faster.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Are the cars with the 2024.x software the vision only cars?
Nope. Basically, if one had either bought or rented FSD at the end of last year and, I think, it was active on the car, one stayed on 2023.44.whatever. And those people are now getting more 2023.44.whatever branches with 12.1.

Everybody else, except for those who avoid updates on principle for whatever reason, have been promoted to 2024.x. They're all getting the nifty new features and user interface improvements that those of us working on FSD aren't getting.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline
Nope. Basically, if one had either bought or rented FSD at the end of last year and, I think, it was active on the car, one stayed on 2023.44.whatever. And those people are now getting more 2023.44.whatever branches with 12.1.

Everybody else, except for those who avoid updates on principle for whatever reason, have been promoted to 2024.x. They're all getting the nifty new features and user interface improvements that those of us working on FSD aren't getting.
Oh ok, I thought that update might have been the vision only cars because the 2024 software is the one with auto park and high fidelity park assist which the uss cars don’t have, I hope uss gets that soon, seems like they should already have it, they already have the cameras

Don’t see why having uss makes your cameras not able to use high fidelity park

I could be wrong, it is not like I have exhaustively tested everything, but for the scroll down to robustly work in this case, you’d need to turn off Automatic Speed Control.

Again, that does not help with going too slow (both modes are crippled), but it should allow a relatively quick reduction in speed to your limit.
Automatic Speed Control is--and always has been--disabled. Today, I teste dit out and about by scrolling down my speed. She ignored me; kept tooling along at 40 after I scrolled down to 25. After a stop sign she only accelerated to 25 though...

Those of you who have tried out V12, how does your car handle a lane change request?
My car seems to treat lane change requests as a friendly--if sometimes stupid--suggestion. Sometimes she'll change lanes, sometimes she starts to, and then says "Nah, that would be dumb."

Ah good to know. I wasn't following the other branch. My firmware progression since the end of last year has been 2023.27.7 (FSD v11.4.7.3) --> 2023.44.30.6 (FSD v11.4.9) --> 2023.44.30.7 --> 2023.44.30.8 --> 2023.44.30.25 (FSD v12.3.0) (downloaded but not installed yet). How significant are the improvements in the latest 2024.x firmware relative to our branch?

FSD braked to keep a large gap between it and the car in front.
No. It failed to brake in a timely manner for an obvious and predictable slowdown (you can see the traffic stopped in front if you offset in the lane!!!) resulting in an unnecessarily small gap with high closing speed.

Quite different than the typical early overbrake scenario you describe. Which is very common, for sure.
She ignored me; kept tooling along at 40 after I scrolled down to 25. After a stop sign she only accelerated to 25 though...
I tried this several times today. After about 3-4 seconds (or so) my scrolled-down limit was respected. It did take a moment but it was not a long delay. (I was scrolling down to 15mph in a 35mph or so, and similar scenarios.)

Maybe it is broken in many many ways. I’d be surprised if 12.3 is the last we hear of this, I guess. Hopefully it is.

Last edited:
Still 12.3...

I drove about 90 miles today. Camas, WA to Hillsboro, OR to the Tigard OR Tesla store, to the Oswego Grill and then home. A mix of freeway and city driving. Moderate to heavy traffic. Precisely zero safety interventions. That is by far an all time first for me. She even pulled into a parking spot at my first destination. One lane choice intervention. She pulled out of "Grocery Outlet" into a left turn only lane when she needed to go straight. In all fairness, many humans make the same mistake at this location. You could tell she knew it was wrong, but was taking to long to correct. Most humans don't correct in time and have to turn left, so there's that. One intervention in a parking lot when she came head on with a car which was in the wrong lane. She stopped, but was taking too long to figure out what to do. One intervention to avoid annoying the driver behind me at a stop sign.

The bad: She cut too close to parked cars sometimes. She ignored my selected speed a number of times. (Auto speed is NOT enabled.) Scrolling down the speed wheel--done multiple times for test purposes--seemed to have no effect.

The good: She actually did a good job at most stop signs. Traffic circles were outstanding. Good lane changes. Overall, she was as good as a young, conservative, licensed human driver.

Even my wife, who has always HATED FSD, was thoroughly impressed.

Ah good to know. I wasn't following the other branch. My firmware progression since the end of last year has been 2023.27.7 (FSD v11.4.7.3) --> 2023.44.30.6 (FSD v11.4.9) --> 2023.44.30.7 --> 2023.44.30.8 --> 2023.44.30.25 (FSD v12.3.0) (downloaded but not installed yet). How significant are the improvements in the latest 2024.x firmware relative to our branch?
For the TLDR; crowd: It's a mixed bag.

If one goes over to TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker, lets it load, you'll see the 2024.2.whatever and the 2024.8.whatever releases. If one clicks on one of those releases at the top of the page, that'll take one to the teslafi page on that particular release; there's a release notes link that'll take one from there to Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates for that particular release, then one can scroll down through the nifty stuff that they're adding.

There's One Time Charge Limits, Danger Spots, Speed Cameras, fixes for the wiper washing functions, and it goes on and on. Nice stuff.

But none of that is FSD-b, where the car is driving itself around, more or less, with supervision.

FWIW, this is how it's been (Everybody Else getting nifty, shiny new stuff, but FSD-b getting newer, more capable software) for a looonnnggg time. Twice or thrice a year the FSD-b stuff gets caught up with shiny stuff that everybody else is getting.

Of course, all of the above is based upon observation and Whatever It Is That Tesla Did That Time. If they decide to change tactics, well, then that's on them.

Had a significant failure with V12.3 this morning.
What is important is the exact same problem happened twice within 10 minutes. Approached a large puddle which was partially frozen towards the edge of the road. I expected FSD would plow thru the puddle but instead it swerved very abruptly to the right and I had to disengage after avoiding going off the road. Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me at a different puddle which coincidently had frozen ice to the right. I've sent Tesla's FSD email account the information. The car was slowing down to take the left hand turn. Came pretty close to the drain on the edge of the road when the car swerved.
The second time was just as abrupt but when I saw the puddle with ice I immediately thought it might to the same swerve again and FSD did.
Hopefully Dan O'Dowd isn't watching this thread.

@25 seconds

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNow
including a claim that the brakes locked up. Obviously no modern car is going to lock up the brakes. Do anti-lock brakes "buzz" anymore? That's about the most he would be able to notice.

Edited to add: From the YT video comments he claimed he only tapped the brakes after they 'locked up.'

He was able to steer to the left a bit so that's a sign the wheels weren't locked. But I didn't study the video enough to see if he'd lifted his foot off the brake at that point or not.
Yeah typical false and overblown commentary on YouTube.

Anyone with patience to time the flickering of the AS symbol relative to brake application would be able to determine override timing. Looks to me it was right after max braking occurred but did not look closely.

I expected FSD would plow thru the puddle but instead it swerved very abruptly to the right and I had to disengage after avoiding going off the road.

Yeah that puddle dodging featured on YouTube a while back as a sign of FSD smarts was super weird and nonsensical. Obviously a bad reaction (it went into opposing lane to dodge deep puddles in the right hand lane). A human can do this, but not a computer. It is far too stupid (yes, anthropomorphizing a bit much).

Yeah that puddle dodging featured on YouTube a while back as a sign of FSD smarts was super weird and nonsensical. Obviously a bad reaction (it went into opposing lane to dodge deep puddles in the right hand lane). A human can do this, but not a computer. It is far too stupid (yes, anthropomorphizing a bit much).
I've dealt with hundreds of puddles but never a puddle with a significant amount of ice in it. The fact the exact same problem happened again minutes later with another puddle with ice means something about the ice messed with FSD. Tesla has the video and other data so hopefully they will look at it but doubtful. Other puddles without ice today were all fine although I'd love FSD to move around them when there is space to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
My two cents - 12.3 is the first one that passes the Wife Test for me. First one worth paying for. My biggest issues had to do with lane selection when there was more than one turn lane to choose. Seems not to do well picking the right one, and sometimes just getting into the lane. But mostly very good. Definitely slow turning from stop signs - but I love that I can simply boot the car a bit by hitting the accelerator.

Can anyone confirm different highway behavior? I thought this was new: while on the freeway when another car passed me and pulled into my lane in front, FSD no longer brakes to try to maintain its desired car length spacing. Even if the car pulls right in front of me, FSD ignores it and lets it pull away.