Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2/20/24 updated to 12.2.1
3/15/24 to 12.3
3/25/24 to 12.3.1
My first FSD was:
6/9/22 to 10.12.2

TeslaFi will show you the update history for any recent update. In the list of recent updated cars, click on View.
Thanks, didn't know you can track history for individual cars. So I see that the rollouts are no longer random but in very specific batches. (the current cars receiving it early received 12.3 early) At least that removes some of the angst of waiting but seems odd. Bad news for @j0shm1lls

Curious decision to make 12.3.1 the ChatGPT moment. If there will be significant improvements within the next 1-2 months, why not wait until after those?

Because in 1 week Tesla is gonna release awful P&D numbers- their first YoY decline in deliveries (ex-Q2 2020 when covid hit) and they want the story to be about something else.

Are those numbers not baked in by now, especially with the sabotage?

Baked in how? This is about what the headlines will be- First real decline in Tesla deliveries YoY, basically ever.

The sabotage in Berlin had nothing to do with that, inventory was already quite high (by Tesla standards anyway) so it might actually HELP the story a tiny bit because it won't have ballooned by quite as much with the lost week of production.

Reactions: lzolman

Edit: Although Teslascope has missed often recently.
In light of Elon's announcement of the free trial this week, things are a bit muddled. Tesla wants everyone to experience 12.x, but many non-FSD cars are now on 2024.8.4. Is Tesla going to enable 11.4.9 on those cars? That's what installed on them.

I see no way to get 12.3.2 onto those cars this week (or even next). Maybe 12.3.1, but that's probably not feasible either.

Of course, the free trial will likely not actually start this week. I suspect Elon made a rash decision that the software teams will need to figure out how to implement. I'm expecting the trial to happen sometime next month.

Because in 1 week Tesla is gonna release awful P&D numbers- their first YoY decline in deliveries (ex-Q2 2020 when covid hit) and they want the story to be about something else.

After my post, I gave it some thought:

1) those who try the trial will have some residual interest in fsd
2) as fsd gets better in the coming months, the ones who finished the trial will have some lingering interest to try the future improvements, see how they're better than 12.3.1, which doesn't seem "good" enough for mass audience

But this can all blow up in Elon's face with lawsuits and accidents and whatnot. Interesting times

Bad news for @j0shm1lls
1711427155633.png

FEELS BAD MAN.

After my post, I gave it some thought:

1) those who try the trial will have some residual interest in fsd
2) as fsd gets better in the coming months, the ones who finished the trial will have some lingering interest to try the future improvements, see how they're better than 12.3.1, which doesn't seem "good" enough for mass audience

But this can all blow up in Elon's face with lawsuits and accidents and whatnot. Interesting times
I personally see the opposite and think this is a smart play. Any New buyer will typically Google FSD prior to purchase or $200 test only to find a crap ton of biased FUD from every nada-news click collector on the net. Giving them the opportunity to judge it for themselves at no cost is a smart play. Many new buyers have never experienced ANY form of autopilot type vehicle. I was one of those long ago. A gambled on it and have been very pleased for my use case. Many I travel with are truly in shock at how well it does typically with the same statement, “I assumed from what I Read it doesn’t work?” I suspect this won’t be the last “free test” in the future either.

In light of Elon's announcement of the free trial this week, things are a bit muddled. Tesla wants everyone to experience 12.x, but many non-FSD cars are now on 2024.8.4. Is Tesla going to enable 11.4.9 on those cars? That's what installed on them.

I see no way to get 12.3.2 onto those cars this week (or even next). Maybe 12.3.1, but that's probably not feasible either.

Of course, the free trial will likely not actually start this week. I suspect Elon made a rash decision that the software teams will need to figure out how to implement. I'm expecting the trial to happen sometime next month.
12.3.1 is probably now put on hold, while these poor fsd programmers are realizing they aren't going to get any sleep until they figure out how to do a massive push to new vehicles quickly. They could move all of us to 2024 branch for 12.3 or 12.3.1 or move factory vehicles straight to our current 2023 build. They don't usually go backwards, but when the boss says do it now, who knows ...

Reactions: edseloh
12.3.1 is probably now put on hold, while these poor fsd programmers are realizing they aren't going to get any sleep until they figure out how to do a massive push to new vehicles quickly. They could move all of us to 2024 branch for 12.3 or 12.3.1 or move factory vehicles straight to our current 2023 build. They don't usually go backwards, but when the boss says do it now, who knows ...
Curious yet confused why this would seem so daunting or difficult? FSD is already on all versions so it’s just a switch to pull. True they have kept V12 gated while they test but with the full flood gate opened to most all on V12 now they clearly have some confidence in this NN design. Seems like adding a New vehicle code number to the skew with one month trial wouldn’t be that difficult at this point.

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Curious yet confused why this would seem so daunting or difficult? FSD is already on all versions so it’s just a switch to pull. True they have kept V12 gated while they test but with the full flood gate opened to most all on V12 now they clearly have some confidence in this NN design. Seems like adding a New vehicle code number to the skew with one month trial wouldn’t be that difficult at this point.
Good observation, I honestly don't know how it works, except factory software does usually update right away. Mine did while putting on my license plate.
I think the biggest issue is camera calibration. Who is gonna calibrate these cars?
They could have a few ready to go for a test drive. However, how many people know what calibration is with their first Tesla, which they will need to complete before having fsd. Most of us are Tesla nerds know all the things to do. A first time owner, not so much.

Good observation, I honestly don't know how it works, except factory software does usually update right away. Mine did while putting on my license plate.
I think the biggest issue is camera calibration. Who is gonna calibrate these cars?
They could have a few ready to go for a test drive. However, how many people know what calibration is with their first Tesla, which they will need to complete before having fsd. Most of us are Tesla nerds know all the things to do. A first time owner, not so much.
Camera calibration happens as soon as you start driving home and tells you it’s doing it as well as when it’s completed. The topic here is the “FSD included 1 month free to new buyer” not the fake email all must do an FSD training at dealer.

Imagine if Tesla allowed us users to fix mapping issues via some sort of Tesla portal. Crowdsourcing could have most mapping issues in the world fixed really quickly, knowing the technical acuity of most of Tesla's customer base!
This is kinda what happened when smart summon first came out! People figured out that OpenStreetMaps was the data source that Tesla used for parking lot maps, and started contributing to OSM to fix local parking lot problems! A lot of other mapping providers use OSM as an upstream data source for their maps, so for anyone with navigation issues like this it might be worth checking how Open Street Maps defines the problematic roads, and suggesting some improvements if applicable.