Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is fine. It has modern extremely capable hardware, capable of full autonomy: HW3.

Drive on a road at 50-60mph with traffic lights every half mile or so and report back.

I am curious if HW4 does better, actually, since I believe part of this could potentially be usable perception range. But I do think it is more likely a software limit, not perceptoon.
I have and the braking doesn't bother me at all. Maybe HW4 is the difference. The advantage of letting FSD handle that type of driving rather than driving myself far out weighs how FSD brakes. Could it be better of course but in the big picture it's at the bottom of the list for me.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
My car is fine. It has modern extremely capable hardware, capable of full autonomy: HW3.

Drive on a road at 50-60mph with traffic lights every half mile or so and report back.

I am curious if HW4 does better, actually, since I believe part of this could potentially be usable perception range. But I do think it is more likely a software limit, not perceptoon.
I have a HW3 car and drive on just such a road daily. 11.4.9 was extremely good. 12.3 has been virtually flawless. Passed the spouse test even.

I’m not 100% sure FSD 12 is doing this but it feels like it is

When I’m on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic I feel like the car moves closer to the side of the road whenever I’m about to meet a car in the opposite lane, then after the car has gone by it moves back closer to the center

This is much better than FSD 11 always staying close to the center no matter what was coming at you

Last edited:
This forum for discussion is awesome, and all the different opinions are what make Tmc great.

I love hearing why I am wrong, which is frequent. The best way to learn is to make mistakes, not to always be successful.

With that said, some of these back and forth, which I have included myself, against my better, or lack of judgment, are waaaaaaay too subjective.

Someone the other day brought up the old joke about what is, is.
Loved it!

What one person likes, another can't stand. Welcome to the real world 🌎!

I have a Plaid, and the faster my car takes off in a safe manner, on or off Fsd, the better. My opinion. Most sane people disagree. No problem.
It's my car, and I will drive any way I want within the limits of the law.
Which by the way, I had to find out if it is legal to floor it at a light.
Every officer I asked said go for it. Just don't do it on wet pavement or exceed the speed limit. I couldn't believe it. So I asked, "What if you were in your patrol car behind me at a light and I did that". They all said they would laugh and do nothing unless I was speeding.

@AlanSubie4Life has taken his time for years to give his opinions on how the car should respond. Look at his post count.Huge! Most of us OG testers have gone back and forth with him countless times for years now. He and I, with some of the other usual posters have run off a lot of people I imagine.

He is always a gentleman and courteous, something I could do a better job of.

With that said, his and my style of driving are probably way different, as well as what we want our cars to do in different situations.
Who is right? Me, Alan??

Probably somewhere in the middle but who knows.

My point is that lately, all the back and forth is getting into the weeds about the definition of the word "Is" or "drive"

A little more objectivity I think will make the discussions better.

Rant over, back to your normally scheduled programming.
I think the discussion here tends to get way into the weeds when there hasn't been any noteworthy releases for a while since there isn't anything new to talk about...

Tesla Demographics vs Gen Pop
-$150K avg annual income
-48 years old avg
-Male largest group
-Higher Education Level, One-third of all Tesla drivers have either a master's degree or a Ph.D., compared to 13% of the general population.
-According to a study, people with lower levels of education have higher fatality rates in car accidents. The study also found that the longer someone stayed in school, the less likely they were to be involved in a deadly crash. A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that traffic fatalities have been declining primarily among the most educated. A study by the AAA Foundation found that driver education is associated with a lower incidence of both crashes and convictions. The study found that driver education reduces crashes by 4.3% and convictions by nearly 40%.
-Homeowner
-No Children

-According to Tesla, their vehicles with Autopilot have one accident for every 4.34 million miles driven. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) states the national average for accident rates is one accident per 479,000 miles driven.

• Love
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Tesla Demographics vs Gen Pop
-$150K avg annual income
-48 years old avg
-Male largest group
-Higher Education Level, One-third of all Tesla drivers have either a master's degree or a Ph.D., compared to 13% of the general population.
-According to a study, people with lower levels of education have higher fatality rates in car accidents. The study also found that the longer someone stayed in school, the less likely they were to be involved in a deadly crash. A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that traffic fatalities have been declining primarily among the most educated. A study by the AAA Foundation found that driver education is associated with a lower incidence of both crashes and convictions. The study found that driver education reduces crashes by 4.3% and convictions by nearly 40%.
-Homeowner
-No Children

-According to Tesla, their vehicles with Autopilot have one accident for every 4.34 million miles driven. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) states the national average for accident rates is one accident per 479,000 miles driven.
Can I be the A hole?

SOURCE????

JK

No @Pdubs I am not on speed tonight.
Sitting in a parking lot waiting for one of the kids busses to make it back from field trip.

About that FSD safety chart:

First, are the demographics of tesla owners now the same as the general population? With the drop in the price (and the rise in the price of comparable ICE vehicles) that might now be true. It wasn't when I bought my car but it might have been in 2022, the date of the chart.

Secondly, When I was a lot younger, there was an anecdote surrounding a stat about how less likely you were to die in Soviet hospitals than in American hospitals. It wasn't that they were better at treating patients, it was that when there was no hope of recovering the patient was sent home to die.

When we get into the looking at the safety record of FSDb, I have to wonder if disengagements are the equivalent of sending patients home to die. If FSDb gets into a situation that can lead to an accident and it or the driver disengages but the accident still happens, does that count against FSD or not?

We don't know, because the data hasn't been released.
What everyone is struggling with here is statistics and all the pitfalls, dangers, and difficulties of collecting and interpreting data. Furthermore, even If you have excellent data and expert analysis, it still isn’t useful if you try to apply it inappropriately.

What is more commonly the case as you have imperfect data and you are left, trying to compensate for the imperfections and make sense of it. That is the case here. We have limited and imperfect data, and some people are trying to extrapolate the data while other people are saying that because the data is incomplete and imperfect it’s useless or proves the converse.

Last edited:
What everyone is struggling with here is statistics and all pitfalls, dangerous, and difficulties of collecting and interpreting data. Furthermore, even If you have excellent data and expert analysis, it still isn’t useful if you try to apply it inappropriately.

What is more commonly the case as you have imperfect data and you left, trying to compensate for the imperfections and make sense of it. That is the case here. We have limited and imperfect data, and some people are trying to extrapolate the data while other people are saying that because the data is incomplete and imperfect it’s useless or proves the converse.
Guess that report is true judging on your excellent analysis. Most Tesla owners made it beyond 7th grade.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m not 100% sure FSD 12 is doing this but it feels like it is

When I’m on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic I feel like the car moves closer to the side of the road whenever I’m about to meet a car in the opposite lane, then after the car has gone by it moves back closer to the center

This is much better than FSD 11 always staying close to the center no matter what was coming at you
It very well may - that’s a natural human tendency so it may have been trained into the system.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life